Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » dating lives of the members of Flare (Page 9)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: dating lives of the members of Flare
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it is possible for true love to be one-sided?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, well, as they say, all true love is unrequited. B)

"Then when we were in Venice, in a gondola on the Grand Canal not far from the Rialto bridge, I put it on her finger. 8)"

Bastard.

"...arguing on the Internet with a bunch of other misfits about politics, morality, and the length of a small starship from a TV show."

BASTARD!

"When, where, and can I have some?"

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say... no.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unrequited true love? Maybe.

Sorry to hear that, Siggy. But stranger things have happened. It was just one potential scenario that you should set no store in actually happening, it was just meant as an illustration.

To use another quoite from a certain series of films, there are always possibilities. Try to open yourselves to new ones. To be blunt, you are extremely unlikely to meet someone online. I know of exactly one couple who did and eventually got married.

For instance, I didn't originally go to that works do where I met Kate. Fact is, everyone I knew who was going left without me (they thought I had to stay behind to re-boot a server, but that was re-scheduled without their knowing), so I got narked about it and went home in a huff. One takeaway and an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer later, I decided I didn't want to stay in by myself so quickly texted them to see if they were all still there, belted back a coupla drams of single malt (to catch up with my friends, they were doing some serious drinking) and I was off. It's really helpful when your flat is only 20 minutes total journey time from work.

But that's totally unlike me. I'm a stubborn git, once I decide to do something I stick with it. If I decided to go home, I went and no-one would tell me otherwise. I knew logically and empirically that by the time I got there half of them would have left and the rest would be so pissed they'd be impossible to interact with. I'd be back off home in an hour, so the whole thing was a complete waste of time. Instead I ended up pretending to be a guy named Pete who worked for a different company because Kate didn't remember me at all and started talking to me. Yup, I got chatted up by someone who'd once got me into a lot of trouble but now didn't recognise me!

So the moral is, Don't Be Yourselves. Which is actually wrong, you should be yourselves, but maybe change who you are. Oh, I don't know, I'm trying to give you all the benefit of whatever experience I have! I don't claim to have the answers. You can all just go back to ignoring me if you like. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
I met my first love in seventh grade. I gradually came to love her; it was ninth grade when I acknowledged my feelings for her to myself. We've been friends for twelve years now, and every now and then it'll feel like my love for her has subsided. Then, something happens that reminds me I am still smitten with her.

Same kinda thing happened with me; not quite as long a period of time, obviously. Also, after being really good friend with me for absolutely ages, she suddenly and for no apparent reason decided to stop talking to me. Even her best friend has no idea why. [Frown]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee, I think what you're trying to say is, if your current self isn't making you happy, why keep repeating old habits? Try something new and if you like it, make it part of your new self. Something like that?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unrequited love sucks so bad because if things had really worked out, yo might not feel as strongly about that person.
Anticipation without realization is one of life's little kicks in the nads.

Hate to say it, Siggy, but you're probably better off distancing yourself from this girl youre "smitten" with and examining what changes you want to personally make to be happy.

Not that I'm one to dole out Guinan-esque advice but many people say I'm a good listener.
Of course, many people say I'm an ass too, so go figure. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm also trying to work out what Lee means. Diane has one explanation, but if Lee is feeling especially pragmatic, it could be "Stop talking about Star Trek until at least AFTER you've kissed her."

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I prefer Diane's, but both work. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swap "kissed" for "married" and you might just be on to something. B)
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, considering Lydia likes Star Trek and we even talked about Nemesis before we were together, that doesn't apply to me. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In The Beginning There Was Liz
And She Was Nice.

Known my wife since high school way way back when. Dated off and on for over 15 years, the last 5 things got intresting and only recently married her. Funny how terror-attacks only 300 miles from your house can change your outlook on life.

As for the Trek issue, its not really. Find somthing else you have some common ground on. In my example, we're both Trek freaks, both have an obsession with taking things apart and figuring out how they work and we like nearly the same music, amoung other things. We also hate baseball, despise onions and utterly abhore golf.

Commen ground, very important here! Don't ignore! [Smile]

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Species 1162
Member # 1162

- posted      Profile for Species 1162     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I don't see mentioned here is the fact that there is no one piece of advice that covers all situations. Each man and woman are different, each meeting, meeting different, and if a relationship occures, then what is needed to make it work will be different each time.

Oh, and flowers mean "I'm sorry" unless they are roses. Then they mean "I'm REALLY sorry!" So don't give them unless you're in trouble. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Experience Is What You Get When You Don't Get What You Want.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Hate to say it, Siggy, but you're probably better off distancing yourself from this girl youre "smitten" with and examining what changes you want to personally make to be happy.

I'm not going to dump one of my oldest and closest friends. Yes, occassional I find myself feeling pained that my love for her would never be returned, but I am completely happy that she and I have our friendship.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brother.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps