Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Gift ideas for a friend (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Gift ideas for a friend
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I have this friend. She's turning 21 in two or three weeks. History education major, just got a new house, getting married on October. I'd like to spend about $20, but we have a mutual friend that I might split the cost of something with. I'm running out of gift ideas for the girl, and she was never easy to shop for to begin with. But she's my oldest friend, and I'm gonna get her something. Any ideas would be appreciated.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Mel Brooks' "The History of the World"?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Booze.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

missmanners
Member # 1523

- posted      Profile for missmanners     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am great at picking out gifts for people I know. Sounds like she will be getting a lot of stuff over the next year. You say she's getting married? Hows about a gift certificate to Victorias Secret?

[Smile]
mm

--------------------
To live is to war with trolls.~ Henrik Ibsen

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Okay, well, uh... candlesticks always make a nice gift, and uh, maybe you could find out where she's registered and maybe a place-setting or maybe a silverware pattern. Okay, let's get two! Go get 'em.

- Bull Durham

Or, since she's a History education major, you might think about looking into a not too expensive first edition book of something...or a nice old book.

Or, for not too expensive art that she might place in her house, check out Novica .

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure someone already gave her "History of the World" several years ago, and at last report she'd never actually watched it. Booze would be hiliarious, actually, if only as a gag gift. This girl collapses after a spoon of Nyquil before she can get to her bed. Some people are quiet drunks, some are angry drunks, some are depressed drunks. She'd be an unconscious drunk.

The Victoria's Secret gift certificate... might just work, actually. Funny, useful, and I don't have to pick it out! But I'd really really have to not be there, or not be in a group of people, when she got it. I don't think I could handle that. [Smile]

I'll contemplate the book idea. She has some area of historical specialization, I can't think of it right now though. Definitely worth looking into. And she's overflowing with knick-knacks for the house already, so more might not be a great thing.

--------------------

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose a glow in the dark adult toy is out of the question then?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't we had this thread before?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. As soon as I saw the title in the Recent Threads list, I knew that once more we were going to be called upon to steer Omeychops through another sexual odyssey. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's better than a sexual Illiad.
If there's anything that might break Omeygagh, it's a sexual greek tragedy.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Member # 91

*LOL*

Sexual odyssey? Perhaps I should specify that I'm not the one's she's marrying! Though you may be right, I think I've done something similar in the distant past. Totally forgot about that.

And to tell you the truth, Daryus, I wouldn't know where to find such a thing in Nashville. The subject has come up before, jokingly, and I didn't even know where to start.

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, this would be more of a wedding gift than a birthday gift, but when I got married, one of the most useful things we got was a couple of tray tables. Initally, we didn't have a kitchen table, so we had to eat off these for a while. There are the full size floor ones, or the ones that fit over your lap (for breakfast in bed!).

Even for a girl, a practical gift can be a good one.

B.J.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A copy of Mario Kart. Everyone wins.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

She's getting married.
Go traditional and get her a shiney chrome toaster.
Get everyone else to buy her the exact same toaster as a gag (get her a real gift as well, of course: I reccomend a nice bedspread/sheet set or a gift certificate to a nice local resturant she likes- Newlyweds often dont get to go out all that much if money's tight).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Getting married and buying a house at 21 is the scariest prospect ever.)
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps