Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Fantasy Football (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Fantasy Football
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I intended no offense. Just well it's all a little confusing with "Football" being not a particularly descriptive name to begin with and then further muddied with US Football (which is hugely popular here and everyone talks about with only a minority noticing that it's more of a rugby, really), Australian Rules Football, Rugby, Soccer, unsw. And further pondering on how we of the US persuasion have this ugly habit of adopting things that aren't ours and just because we say so, doesn't necessarily make things true... internationally.

I'm not advocating anyone switch--the cat is out of the bag, at this point. I just wish when someone mentions that they enjoying playing/watching football, that one could automatically know what the hell they were talking about without it being a three minute conversation about how weird it is that they're all named the same thing when only one of them is really focused on kicking balls with feet. F'rinstance, being an American I assumed that Jay's proposal was a Fantasy Football League based on American Football, but with him being edumacated and internationally aware with the World Cup on, I couldn't help but think he might lean that direction. But I don't know.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People play GAMES outside the U.S.? American football should be called "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire"....then we should combine it with the Disintigrator-mouthed robot from that Dr. Who / Weakest Link episode.

"You've lost your arbitration dispute, you ARE the weakest link.....ZZZZZZZZZZ....goodbye."

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how does fantasy whatever work, anyway? You draw up a list of players to be on your team, but then what?
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You get 10 guys who WISH they could play for real. Then you draw to set draft order from 1-10. Player one selects a player out of a list of ALL the players in the NFL. Then it goes on 1-10 then 10-1 etc. till everyone's roster is full (generally 15 players). Each week you will have to start a QB, 2 RB's, 3 WR's, a defense/special teams and a kicker (this can vary by league). A schedule is set of who's team plays who. You decide who to start or make active based on that players' matchups or the phase of the moon or what the psychic network tells you. Points are awarded to that player for touchdowns, passing, receiving, or rushing yards, field goals, XP's, or for the defense, opponents score, fumbles, ints, safeties, yards allowed. You add up the scores for your active players and compare it to your opponent. high score wins. This usually goes from NFL week 1 thru 14 with weeks 15 & 16 being playoffs & superbowl.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh.

(Why not just play Madden?)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because the outgoing quarterback told him the coach liked to be called by his first name.

So, second group-stage matches have started. Which means we begin to have an idea about who'll be going onwards to glory in the knockout stages, and who'll be off for an early bath. England v Trinidad & Tobago tonight, a simple proposition one would think, except that T&T managed to hold Sweden to a goalless draw. Germany are almost certainly through, we'll know after the other match in their group this afternoon, Ecuador v Costa Rica.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MaGiC
tutis per veneficus
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for MaGiC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just felt really bad for Poland last night...

--------------------
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bX:
I intended no offense.

Hehehe, no no - I was just being cute... the whole "American Rugby" thing, that's all. [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Lee mentioned:
...except that T&T managed to hold Sweden to a goalless draw.

In World Cup, what DOES happen if there's a draw? if there a single-goal overtime like in the US, or do they have to play another game?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there no one other that Wizzy who wants to play?

If I may borrow from Brad Pitt in "Troy," Is there no one else?

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the group stages, there's 4 teams to a group, who all play each other once. You get 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, and the big 0 for a loss. At the end of the stage the top two go through to the knockout stage, based on points.

If there is a draw on points they go on goal difference etc, but they don't bother with replays because tha whole thing has been timetabled long in advance.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there is absolutely no difference between two teams that have equal points at the end of the group stage, even with goal difference, then they draw lots. Seriously, it's actually happened in the past. Hell of a way to crush a nation's dreams!

God, Sweden sucked last night. What a bunch of prima donnas, do they all play for Italian clubs or something? That last-minute reprieve they got was in no way earned. It's really too much to hope for that England will beat them next Tuesday, and that T&T will simultaneiously beat Paraguay with sufficient GD to drop Team Ikea into 3rd place - but it'd be no more than they deserved. The Soca Warriors have been fantastic, they've earned the right to progress, even if it does mean they run right into the Krauts in the next round.

And, I loved the way that just after Rooney was finally brought on, it was the amusingly-monickered Peter Crouch that went and scored. One in the eye for the Scouse Shrek!

--------------------

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was also happy to see Sven play Rooney. Not because I admire him in anyway - he is an incredibly ugly, spoiled, obscenely overpaied, petulant little arsehole with an IQ rivaled only by the very stupidest of rocks, but because it showed me that there are more people in the world who think Alex Furguson is a prick. That cheered me up.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Trimm
Member # 865

- posted      Profile for Trimm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like us Fantasy Football folks are outnumbered by all the soccer folks.

And did anyone else see that 6-0 blowout? That was insane!

Lee
Member # 393

God, there was good football last night. Ghana (yay!) beat the Czechos - almost unheard of. And then - I watched Italy v USA with a couple of Italians. Needless to say they were in a real piss by the end of the match! Don't see why though - Italy did not play well at all. Even with ten men they should have annihlated the US (with 9 - this is only about the 4th World Cup game ever where there have been 3 red cards). But the Yank defence was superb, especially Casey Keller in goal. Hell, I'm no fan of Italy, but by the end I was quite definitely rooting for the States. I was nervous that the Azurri would manage to score again in stoppage time, something they did back in '94 against (a far superior performance by) Nigeria, and for which I've never forgiven them. . .

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps