Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Who are the Old Ones of Flare? (Page 9)

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  15  16  17   
Author Topic: Who are the Old Ones of Flare?
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*blink* Well-played.
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Elim Garak - Here occasionally, was even in the UK but never got in touch

I'm back in the UK, so I might yet. [Wink]
OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Im more of old-time-semi-lurker-ish type person. I can't even remember the first time I found the BG site and STZone, but I do remember chatting in that old Risa Beach chat quite a lot. Back then I called myself "The Overlord." I remember Tachy used to call himself The Overlord in that chat as well, so I changed my name Aaron the Overlord to stop people asking me to model a trek ship or whatever. Anyways I think I joined just before that Team 001 thing went live. Tachy was looking for people who wanted to model trek ships so I joined up, even though I was crap at making models. [Razz]

I think I was in that Team 001 thing for all of a week or so before it was split off/booted out whatever happened at the time, as I'm buggered if I can remember what was going on at the time. When that happened I went from posting on the forum a lot back into my lurker mode.

Since then I was off trying to make models for Sector 001, 3D Warriors, 3D Warriors II, and finaly Scifi-art. But as I got older, doing my GCSEs, then my A-levels, and moving on to university I got tired of modeling things and tired of Trek. So I went AWOL from SFA, and kinda dropped off the net for a while. I'd occasionaly come online and lurk in some of the old places I used to hang out, like flare with most of the old BG people being on here.

I still model stuff occasionally, and I'm back posting on here. Still love my sci-fi, but I'm not the rabid Trekkie I used to be. I've been into online gaming with a passion for the last few years. Then got hooked onto World of Warcrack, but finally kicked that habit last year. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
And poking around some more, I came across a link to this: The Behaviour Alliance
I had thought all those places were gone! BTW, I may not have registered until 2002, but I had been lurking since around 1998/1999.

Had a look at that link, makes me feel a little nostalgic, and I was suprised to see my webpage linked there. *wonders what ever happened to it*

Just a random list of people I remember from back in the BG days, some are on here posting and others ain't:

Tachy/Cyrille Lefevre - In Australia with his wife last time I heard from him.
Rutger Warrink/RW
Mike Wright
Daryus Ayden
Baloo
FrankG
TheObssesiveC/TOC - Well Mr. Capps is obviously still here! [Smile]
Dani - I think that was her name, I believe she ran the old Risa Beach Chat
Chris Howell - Or was it Gouch? My memory's all screwed up. I noticed that Great Link wasn't being updated sometime after Enterprise was canned, and just checked it now and it's passworded so dunna what has happened with that.
Torah Ziyal - Still around here somewhere
Adam Heinbuch

I'm sure there's a whole bunch of other people from back then I should remember, but like I said, my memory is shit. [Smile]

Just looking through an old archived folder on my computer and I found this sitting there:

-

Now does anyone remember that? (Not the palm tree bit, that was something I drew on there a decade ago now)

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the trial edition of WoW last week. I played for about 3h the other day...I don't like it. Just isn't very interesting to me. (Big surprise; I've never once finished any single-player RPG I rented or bought). I feel like such a non-geek saying this but...I think I only like FPS...

Flare was the first and only forum I ever joined or kept tabs on. Never found one before here that didn't appear to be populated by the same type of p'taQ that you see on IRC.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OverRon:
Tachy/Cyrille Lefevre - In Australia with his wife last time I heard from him.
Rutger Warrink/RW
Mike Wright
Daryus Ayden
Baloo
FrankG
TheObssesiveC/TOC - Well Mr. Capps is obviously still here! [Smile]
Dani - I think that was her name, I believe she ran the old Risa Beach Chat
Chris Howell - Or was it Gouch? My memory's all screwed up. I noticed that Great Link wasn't being updated sometime after Enterprise was canned, and just checked it now and it's passworded so dunna what has happened with that.
Torah Ziyal - Still around here somewhere
Adam Heinbuch

Tachy - hasn't been here in ages... usually not welcome due to hijinks.
RW - dropped Trek completely a few years back
Mike Wright - don't know this one...
Daryus Aden - still an admin here, haven't seen him in a while
Baloo - dropped Trek as well, hangs around Snopes IIRC
FrankG - aka Aethelwer. Has posted in this thread
TheObsessiveC/TOC - The Capps will never leave [Wink]
Dani - still pokes around here now and again
Chris Howell - don't know him either
Tora Ziyal - aka Diane. Still active, she visited Jay's grave
Adam Heinbuch - aka The Vorlon. Lurks around here, posts in a typical enigmatic Vorlon way when summoned...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when I was the new guy and wanted to know how everyone else got here. Once upon a time I had all that written up somewhere. I seem to have lost it.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j76/RonnieBoyUK/misc/Risa1.jpg
Not only do I remember that, but I still have the extracted templates and the scripts to run the chat.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey yeah, I remember you being the "Flare Historian" as it were...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike Wright was another CG modeller. I think he left here around the same time as Tachy.

Chris Howell was the guy who ran The Great Link, a Behaviour Group site with general Trek news and such. Didn't he pretty much disappear from the Internet for some reason?

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

I keep hearing of this Behaviour Group. It sounds like a symposium of mental health professionals. Why was it named that?
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those were the days of lurking quietly between the stars, watching, waiting......

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
I keep hearing of this Behaviour Group. It sounds like a symposium of mental health professionals. Why was it named that?

Well, you hit it right on the head there...

*ahem*

It all started with Chris Gough and a few Trek sites he ran. Among them was chiefly "Obsessive Behaviour," with that very wrong British spelling of behavior. It just happened to have a little asstastic forum. And then came First Contact, and the new ships, and the niftiest little starship class database EVAR, Utopia Planitia (and eventually a better-designed Utopia Planitia 2).

Eventually Chris got all networky and crap, and a handful of us did the whole lots-of-sites-under-one-name thing.

And then the host's servers got hacked, or something. And there was no backup, sigh.

The sites were all restored into a nifty new conglomerate we named Star Trek Central (archive.org link unavailable 'cause they seem to have ignored simplenet), but the forums went elsewhere. We were desperate for hosting, so I pulled some strings and got hosting from a semi-colleague. Thus was the Starfleet Communications Relay, which lasted... uh, what, about a year?

Then there was drama and bullshit, and the SFCR went kaputski when I told someone to go do something in the control panel that would end up blowing the forums up, 'cause the code sucked. And then I was an idiot.

And then on March 12, 1999, there was Flare. Or rather, Solar Flare, since then shortened and relocated. (There's been a few reskins over the years. I think we're on the... er... Enterforum J now? SolarFlare was the -H, Flare 1 was the -I, the UBB6 version ("Flare 3") was the -J... and this newer skin ("Flare 4") is just a retrofit, not an entirely new model. Hmm, I guess that makes the next one the Enterforum-K. Mmm'k. Man. That's bad. I should probably go to bed.)

Around the same time, the rest of the Behaviour sites kinda went and did their own thing. Chris still runs his web shop, Behaviour Interactive Media. Somtimes he even drops by. The Great Link disappeared a while ago, as has been noted. Utopia Planitia became outdated, and our meager attempts to do yet another sequel never really materialized. What we did manage to get done has been released into DAC. The little 3D group self-destructed in a fit of drama. I think there was one more site, but I've misplaced all my Star Trek Central stuff. Ah well, ashes to ashes, dust to dust, bits to bits...

But Flare continues, and will continue to continue. Continuously.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As it was, ever shall it be.

I remember reading the UP pages around '97 or '98 & thinking to myself that you guys had come up with the dumbest names ever for the FC designs, & that some of the extrapolated outlines were goofy. Don't I feel the right ass now.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that, other than admin stuff, that was the longest post I've ever seen by CC.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

I have this funny suspicion that he has a *real life* beyond Flare...
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  15  16  17   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps