Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The road goes on (Page 3)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: The road goes on
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tolkien was also not much for writing women, let alone strong women. And I didn't mean feature her in the Rivendell scenes -- just have her in the background somewhere as Elrond welcomes the company to the valley.

And I would so hope they do Orcrist and Glamdring right this time. All the Gondolin blades were supposed to glow in the presence of orcs. Not just Sting.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...but Liv in battle armor...I'd pay to see *that* at any rate...
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's interesting with Elrond and Elros. I mean Elrond and his family obviously get a choice to stay Elven or lead the life of mortal Man. I gather that didn't happen for Elros' descendents. Once it was decided he would die a man - it was if the rest of his descendents were locked into that... race.

Elrond's children still had a choice as well.

Aragorn and Arwen are very very distantly related. Much more distant though than Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip are (both 2nd and 3rd Cousins through Queen Victoria).

Also what is very interesting is that Arwen's ancestory is a complete melting pot of some of the most powerful figures in Middle Earth's history and includes Elf, Man AND Maiar. Her Elven ancestory includes descendents from the three houses of the Elves (Noldor, Vanyar and Teleri) as well as the three houses of Man (Hador, Haleth and Beor).

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Tolkien was also not much for writing women, let alone strong women. And I didn't mean feature her in the Rivendell scenes -- just have her in the background somewhere as Elrond welcomes the company to the valley.

And I would so hope they do Orcrist and Glamdring right this time. All the Gondolin blades were supposed to glow in the presence of orcs. Not just Sting.

--Jonah

It would certainly be nice to have her there, however it means hiring Liv Tyler for what would effectively be a non-speaking cameo, so it's doubtful. However, if the rumours about the second movie being about the white council and Aragorn's earlier life are true then it becomes rather more possible they'll have Liv back for a more significant part and film some footage for Rivendell while they have her.

As far as Orcrist and Glamdring go, I think the reason they didn't make Gandalf's sword glow in LoTR was so as to not confuse people who hadn't read the books (which at the time, included me) but for The Hobbit I don't see why they wouldn't have it glow.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aragorn is of the Dunedain (scuse, btw, the lack of proper accents - don't have the proper layout on this computer), which were the descendants of the remains of the Numenorians, is that correct? And Gondor is one of the kingdoms founded by the refugees from the fallen Numenor, also correct? So why is it that the Dunedain retained the Numenorian long life, but the Gondorian Men didn't?

The relation between Arwen and Aragorn, then, would be so distant it'd be like how anyone from, say, Germany is related to anyone else from Germany if you go back far enough, right?

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Dunedain chieftains were pretty much an unbroken Numenorean line, but many of the other Dunedain, and most of the Gondorians, had been interbreeding with the lesser races of Men for the past Age or more, and so had lost the long life of their forebears.

Additional: A note on consanguinity. You and your first cousin have enough genetic drift that -- provided you have no markers for congenital defects -- you are, genetically-speaking, as perfectly suited as a couple as anyone more distantly related. The consanguinity tabu only came about in medi�val Europe when the nobility realized that the peasants needed to be kept from consolidating family wealth and holdings the way they had been doing, and had the Church make it a no-no to marry your coisin (even though those nobles kept right on doing just that). It's taken a while to shake off the dogma in this country, but where in 47 states it was illegal to marry one's first cousin a decade ago, that number has dropped to 14 states. Which is nice, because I have some pretty hot cousins... [Wink]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone else hear the freakishly skilled plucking of a banjo?

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I give you Peregrinus, the slack-jawed-yokel.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

See? This is the kind of ignorant twaddle I'm talking about. Way to think for yourselves, guys. [Razz]

ANYway... The only decision from Jackson and Walsh for LotR that I disagreed with was the notion that the audience would be confused if both Sting and Glamdring glowed. A single line from Gandalf to Frodo in Moria, maybe, saying that Glamdring was made by the same people for the same reason as Sting, and problem solved. I dunno. Not my job, and I'm not about to tackle rewriting them, when that's a relatively minor gripe.

One other perk of the Hobbit movies is seeing the three trolls before they were turned to stone. [Smile]

And have we thought of creative casting for the rest of the major roles? Bard, Thorin, Thranduil...?

--Jonah

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
See? This is the kind of ignorant twaddle I'm talking about. Way to think for yourselves, guys. [Razz]
Mate...genetics doesn't even come into it. Having sex with any relative is just creepy and trying to justify it by citing genetic compatibility is just...well...troubled.

I have a step niece who is only 5 years younger than me, is legally an adult (in the UK anyway) and despite being completely unrelated to me by blood it is in no way ok to consider her a viable sexual partner. I don't care if it's legal or not, if it's medically safe or what the various religions have to say about it, she's family and it's just not right.
But if you're just talking hypothetically about imaginary elves, then fine, interbreed away.

As far as casing goes, the dwarves will probably be made up of local New Zealand actors like they did with allot of the elves and presumably the non-Gimli Dwarves we caught a glimpse of.

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

My point, Rev, is that that "creepiness" is an artifact of the last few hundred years of Western European culture alone, and not even all of that. The upper class knew they made it up to keep the peasants in line, and have happily ignored it. The only people on th eplanet for whom it's creepy are those who come from a tradition of adhering to the precepts of the Catholic Church and its decendents on secular matters (i.e., those decended from the middle and lower classes in the Middle Ages). It's important to examine all of our beliefs from time to time, especially the ones we don't think to question. [Wink]

But it's okay that you can't think of your step-neice in those terms (that's a closer degree of relationship than cousins, though, and genetically dodgy). I don't like the thought of eating grasshoppers, even though there are lots of cultures where it's perfectly ordinary.

*track change*

Only problem with that is that most of the party were at least mildly significant characters and would warrant casting probably on the level of Merry and Pippin and Samwise. Not necessarily local talent. But also not excluding local talent.

I do think Brian Blessed would be great as Beorn, though.

For the Dwarves, appearance almost doesn't matter, so maybe we should look to the pool of voice actors. John Rhys-Davis sort of straddles that line himself... Have I seen anyone suggest Geoffrey Rush as Thorin? I think he's got a good face for it, as well as his voice.

And for some reason I have no trouble seeing/hearing Patrick Warburton as Bard. o_O *lol*

--Jonah

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

I've got to agree with Peregrinus. I mean, how many people in here would be OK with having more than one wife? Why not? Sexist, wrong, can't love them all, etc? But it's perfectly normal in certain cultures. Doesn't make either one right or wrong, just *different.* What you grow up with in your culture shapes your own feelings towards things, and bollocks to logic about it, after that - you just have your inborn emotional reactions and taboos.

(And specifically, cousins aren't nearly as close as nieces in terms of family, at least not in my family, or any of my friends' families. There's a whole different dynamic there. And many people in this country have married their cousins, and as Peregrinus pointed out, the royal and noble families are *still* doing it. Go on, tell an Englishman his queen is a disgusting pervert [Wink] )

Casting bits - I've forgotten the name of the king of the Mirkwood elves, but I think that's another role to be very careful about casting. Keep the sort of Elven Look the way it was in LotR.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Multiple partners is a whole different kettle of fish, more in line with sexual orientation. That is, it's a spectrum. Some people default monogamous. Others the exact opposite. Many somewhere in between. The cousin thing is purely learned behaviour/attitude. There is an animal instinct to not breed with first- or second-degree relations (siblings, parent/child, uncle/niece, gramdparant/grandchild, etc.) that stems entirely from being programmed for genetic diversity. Some human cultures have overridden this, but it isn't the norm for good reason. Trying to codify it in moral and secular laws in a human quirk, though. I think we're getting closer to the point where such laws and moral restrictions will be obsolete, but we're still a ways off.

*track change*

Thranduil was the Wood-Elf king, Legolas' dad. He was voiced by Otto Preminger in the animated movie, and that's a distinctive voice to try to replace. Ditto Richard Boone for Smaug.

Lessee...

Bilbo Baggins
Lobellia Sackville-Baggins
Gandalf (Ian McKellan)
Thorin (sugg. Geoffrey Rush)
Oin
Gloin
Balin
Dwalin
Dori
Nori
Ori
Fili
Kili
Bifur
Bofur
Bombur
actors for the Trolls?
Elrond (Hugo Weaving)
misc. Rivendell Elves?
The Great Goblin?
misc. Goblins?
Gollum (Andy Serkis)
The Lord of the Eagles?
Beorn
Thranduil
misc. Mirkwood Elves
Bard (sugg. Patrick Warburton)
misc. Laketown Men
Smaug
Dain Ironfoot

That about cover the potential cast list for The Hobbit portion of the story? I need to go back and refresh my memory of what happened between the end of the Hobbit and the beginning of LotR...

--Jonah

--------------------

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm waiting for someone to start singing Ray Steven's "I'm My Own Grandpa". Also known as the official State Song of Arkansas. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Hmm...this animated movie was popular, was it? Everyone keeps talking about the difficulty of 'replacing' the voice actors. I never saw it, having heard from the LotR fans I knew that it was mildly silly and mostly not very good.
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps