Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The road goes on (Page 6)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: The road goes on
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elrond's whole family was granted the choice of selecting immortality or not, because of the actions and victories of his parents. Every offspring born to an immortal in that family would get the same choice (like Arwen and her brothers, although they remained immortal and left the world for Valinor after the War of the Ring), but if you chose mortality your offspring would not get the choice, so the line of Elros merged with the surviving higher families of humans fleeing the destruction of their old world and became the Numenoreans, the best of both worlds, having some of both human, elven and maiar blood.
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. I wonder how that worked...did you mail in your choice to 1 Valinor Place or what? [Razz]
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it worked the same way the Ring's shapeshifting feature and Star Trek's teleport compensators work; why very well, thank you. :.)
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta love those Pro-Choice Half-Elven. Did anyone catch the documentary on the Hobbit that was found in (I believe) Indonesia? From the little I saw (no pun intended) they found a full female skeleton about 3'-6" tall of a female but most closely related to Homo Sapiens rather than the more distant variants. I believe they also said they found others that meant this wasn't a one-off. Now if they find mounds with round doors....

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard that skeleton has since been declared a Homo sapiens with a genetic or nutritional defect, i.e., some kind of dwarf or midget.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's the same one's I read about then according to the locals there was a whole tribe of them just a few hundred years back. Apparently they were wiped out after being caught stealing babies.

It's not surprising to find there are different "breeds" of humans, given how much migrating we've done over the last few million years. look into any culture and you'll find references to little people and whatnot. I think even Genesis has a line about giants existing at some point, Exodus too if I'm not mistakes.
Of course terms like "Giant" and "Little" are a matter of perspective. For all we know the legends about giant men come from very short people and visa versa.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even Goliath was only about 6'6" in reality, according to most original sources.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of that is PR.
"Why is that shrimpy guy King again?"
"Because he slew a giant!"
"What, that friendly, slightly simple guy you used to sell carpets? Wasn't he more like four and a half Cubits?"
"A MURDEROUS GIANT I TELL YOU!!!"

Of course if the average height at that time and in that place was only around 4' then 6'6" would be close enough to giant as to make no difference.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_floresiensis
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Well, just because the Bible mentions giants is no reason to believe there were really tall people. I mean, not all myths and stories are based on truth. Maybe people just like the idea of giants and dwarves, creatures similar to humans but different in size, the same way they like humanoid 'aliens' in sci-fi today.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

You'd be surprised how accurate the old testament can be for recording the formerly oral traditions of the ancient Hebrews and that's coming from an agnostic. Point is there's plenty of giant related stories in cultures all around the world, most of which probably have some vague basis in fact. Also keep in mind that our perception of a "Giant" is coloured by the fe-fi-fo-fum variety, when really it just means really tall bloke. Tall tales and all that.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Well...I mean, of course it's good for recording the previously oral tradition of the ancient Hebrews...the Hebrews *wrote* it. But that doesn't mean their formerly oral traditions were necessarily based on fact, i.e., that their formerly oral legends about the Canaanites were based on an actual race of giants.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Of course if the average height at that time and in that place was only around 4' then 6'6" would be close enough to giant as to make no difference.

I think most historical evidence says that the average height of the human race hasn't actually changed that much over the centuries. Over the last 1,000 years, it's only fluctuated by a few inches. Certainly not a couple of feet.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

True, but you still get isolated pockets of extremes. Ever met someone from the Philippines or notice that most basketball players are of African decent? Averages can only tell you so much.
All it takes is a tribe of short people to meet a tribe of tall people and you got yourself tales of giants and little people...just from opposite perspectives.

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stories of giants in the Earth might have originated with the bones of mammoths and such dug up by the Greeks. Certainly, a mammoth skull looks like that of a cyclops.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps