Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The road goes on (Page 7)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: The road goes on
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure allot of things like that can contribute to all sorts of myths, or build on existing tales of strange peoples and creatures.
Did the dragon myth originate from dinosaur bones or second or third hand accounts of alligators, crocodiles or komodo dragons? Did the idea of a unicorn come from the washed up remains of Narwhals, or just pure fantasy? There's a million examples like these.
How they started is anyone's guess.
As for the Cyclops, I'm inclined to believe that if there's any true basis for that one, he was just a man with a missing eye. The Greeks love to embellish their tales, I mean come on, the legends of the Olympian gods reads like some bad soap opera.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the Greek myth of Cyclops was from elephant skulls, since they didn't know elephants. Myths of mammoths have been around since before we found any fossils, haven't they? I mean, we did used to hunt them. But then the Lanteans came back through the Stargate and taught us how to make French toast instead. (Also, I had read that unicorns were thought up based on second-hand accounts of rhinoceroses(sp?), the best description of which that they could come up with was something like "from the distance, it looks like a horse, but with a horn on its head." Also, perhaps seeing gazelles or antelope from the side.)
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly my point. There's dozens of theories where each of these things originated, truth is none of them can be verified and quite likely non of them are exactly right. Myth take centuries to really sink in to a culture and all sorts of factors have an influence along the way and quite often bears little relation to the initial inspiration.

So what WE think of as a giant, unicorn or dragon today is just a diluted and misinterpreted perception of something that was probably not even seen by those who depicted them in stories and whatnot. Think of it a Chinese whispers but instead of words, it's ideas and instead of people, it's different cultures.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

...In other news; the next up to sue New Line over the LOTR profits - the Tolkien estate. link

I wonder if New line even has an accounting department. Are they just stuffing their 6 billon into mattresses or secretly funding the CEO's gambling addiction? Seriously, what are they playing at?

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreement over wide-eyed incredulity of failure to pay. Anger at New Line and patriotic-type loyalty to Tolkien Trust.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Let's just hope they sort this out before it derails the new movies. Oh, for those who don't know Guillermo del Toro is now numero uno on the list of possible directors. link
...which is nice.

--------------------

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow. i looked at the Director's pic and the only thing that pops up is 'Hi. I just fucked your Sister. With your father's dead dick' [Eek!]

Fucking ass Jack Nichelson 'The Shining' creepy. He's Euro i assume?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Yes, like me and several other members of this board he's "Euro".
Though to be specific he's Spanish.

--------------------

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which further undermines his character right?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'd enjoy what he could bring to the table regarding Middle Earth, if Laberinto del Fauno and Hellboy is any indication.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Exactly. It's not just a talent for doing films with freaky creatures he's actually very good at characterisation, so no danger of this turning into a mindless fantasy film.
Also, he seams to be all for bringing back the original cast. Ian McKellen, Christopher Lee, Viggo Mortensen, Orlando Bloom and Cate Blanchett have all apparantly expressed an interest in coming back and given they're apparantly incorporating the White Council/Dol Guldor story there's certainly potential for all their characters to come back.
I think Elijah Wood has also said he'd like to come back, though I doubt they'd cast him as Bilbo and Frodo would be too young to appear even in the second film. Almost no chance of getting John Rhys-Davies back as a Dwarf, the poor bloke had a very nasty reaction to the prosthetics the last time round.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

A lesser man would've quit the production, I think. But he was dedicated. To LotR or to showbiz, I'm not sure which... [Razz]
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Probably more to the cast and crew. Most actors bleat on about how they've all become a family while filming whatever movie they happen to be promoting at the time. In the case of the LotR, I think it's one of the rare cases where it's actually true.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Right, except for Davies, though, who was locked away in hiding because of his face.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked that joke he put on Jackson with the finger prosthesis, was good.

Bonding!

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps