Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Oh deer heavens (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Oh deer heavens
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this is what M. Snay and his trusty Jeep "Jeff" has had to endure all these years on the roads.

Tagged for topics: (S)lightly graphic, (P)eter Jacksony, (E)xplosiony, (V)enison, (D)ouble-You Tee Eff, (E)ll Oh Ell.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what you don't see is this no doubt totaled the car.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poor Deer. I wonder how fast the car was going to make it go splat!
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen worse. But yowsa!

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my dad once cut a deer cleanly in half with a Pontiac Grand Prix going about 40, so this was probably only a bit faster.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well he had his lights going so he was probably at the speed limit, whatever that maybe for that kind of road over there. If it were here I'd say it'd be a national speed limit road, so around 60.
Of course it's not so much the speed of the impact as where you hit the animal. Judging by the splat, I'd say he caught it right in the soft part of the abdomen.
I've never hit anything that big myself, though I've had a few near misses, which in a way can be even more dangerous since where there's one deer, there's usually a second if not a whole family. So you could miss one only to get so distracted you run right into the second.
Oddly enough, the nastiest roadkill I've ever been party to was when I was a passenger in a crew van, though granted it was only an especially stupid pigeon that chose precisely the wrong moment to waddle out of a a hedgerow, but at the time I had my foot resting on the wheel arch. To this day I can still recall FEELING the crunch. Nasty.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, he decapitated that thing
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason it took so long for him to stop is, no doubt, due to his sudden realization that he had filled his pants. That's crazy.

I've hit a german shepherd before. He had already been hit and was laying in the middle of the road. He tried to get up and run but couldn't and I couldn't stop. I'm actually glad to have put him out of his misery. A couple of weeks ago and bird flew right into the grill of my vibe. That was splattery.

And I almost hit a wild turkey mid flight as it tried ot take off.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
And what you don't see is this no doubt totaled the car.

Naw, the car wouldn't have been totalled. I've picked my fair share of guts out of the front of cars and deer just don't have enough mass to do that much damage even at that speed. For sure it would spend a week or two in a body shop, but they wouldn't total it off.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose everyone here has heard about military recruits being taught not to drink lots of water right before entering a hot war-zone.

Why did the deer cross the road? When you gotta go you gotta GO.

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I can tell you from current military experience that they tell us the exact opposite. So much so, that we practically have to be force-fed water for lack of a better term.

Going back on topic though, nasty little accident there. Makes great video though.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ran over a possum once, with both the front and back wheel on the left - I could clearly feel both of them. Looking in the rearview mirror, I noticed it get back up and walk off the road with no noticeable limp.

I was kind of freaked out.

Also, don't police cars have a rammer on the front of their car for plowing into things without damage, like fleeing vehicles? I wouldn't have thought a police car *would* take much damage from this.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not all police cars have the push bars. In fact, most cars 'round these parts don't.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Nim
Member # 205

No, not in Officer Lounge county, mostly soft targets here anyway, but I've seen plenty of cruisers in the Flameboard municipality that indeed have rammers.
(Also, waterboarding field kit, because it's not torture if you're thinking of your wife while doing it. Ed note)

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
I ran over a possum once, with both the front and back wheel on the left - I could clearly feel both of them. Looking in the rearview mirror, I noticed it get back up and walk off the road with no noticeable limp.

I was kind of freaked out.

Also, don't police cars have a rammer on the front of their car for plowing into things without damage, like fleeing vehicles? I wouldn't have thought a police car *would* take much damage from this.

Plus there's the fact that those push bars are actually rather flimsy affairs usually made from 1 mm thick steel tubing attached to the frame via two tiny little brackets. They're fine for bumping into stuff but won't protect the car in any kind of major collision. Of course it varies from region to region.

You can see the crash bar on the car in the video and you can see how it gets completely mangled after the deer hits.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps