Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Do you agree with this statement? If so, why?

Author Topic: Do you agree with this statement? If so, why?
newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today, the President at a conference on minority home ownership, read this statement-

"...An ownership society is a compassionate society."
(President's Sppech at George Washington University, Washington, D.C. )

I have ambivalent feelings about this statement. I have heard very negative remarks on the concept of a society encouraging ownership. Somehow, people seeking ownership of an item results in an unbalanced society with very bad debt loads for individuals and families and an environment where other values, such as altruism, are valued less. I am reflecting on what I have read. I am open to other interpretations and opinions on this very important concept-an ownership society is a compassionate society.

Thank you.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
America has always encouraged ownership. the American Dream itself encourages ownership. nothing new there.
IP: Logged
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Propose a better system.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh?

I have no objections to the President's proposal.

My question is this, is our society a compassionate society because people have the freedom to claim ownership over a material good? This is an interesting issue for me and a worthy item for debate.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just don't listen to Omega, "propose something better" is hot-linked to his control key.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, I had to stop reading after he said "homeownership gap". Suddenly, he was George C. Scott in Dr. Strangelove, and I couldn't take him seriously (even less than I could before, which was very little).

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps