Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Happy Loyalty Day (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Happy Loyalty Day
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reason number, oh, I 've lost count, why these people should not be elected...cause I can't say re-elected.

quote:
Loyalty Day, 2004 by the President of the United States of America a Proclamation

As Americans, we work to preserve the freedom declared by our Founding Fathers, defended by generations, and granted to every man and woman on Earth by the Almighty. On Loyalty Day, we are reminded that we are citizens with obligations to our country, to each other, and to our great legacy of freedom and democracy.

We learn lessons of loyalty from the selfless dedication and unwavering allegiance of our men and women in uniform. We are grateful for their courage and willingness to sacrifice for our country, and we stand united behind them. Through the "On the Homefront" program, a USA Freedom Corps initiative, many Americans are writing to service members, contributing to the purchase of care packages to be sent overseas, and helping the families of those deployed with basic family needs such as home repairs, financial planning, and child care. By supporting our troops and their families, citizens are making a difference in their communities and showing loyalty to our country through their patriotism.

America's citizens are also demonstrating their loyalty to our Nation through volunteer service. In answering the call to serve something greater than self, Americans reflect the compassion and decency that make our country great. Through the USA Freedom Corps, my Administration is providing information about volunteer opportunities to Americans so they can give back to their communities and help their fellow citizens in need. The hard work and generosity of America's volunteers help build a culture of service and responsible citizenship that strengthens America and sets a positive example for future generations.

Over the past few years, America has once again witnessed the loyalty and character of our citizens. We must continue to ensure that our young people know the great cause of freedom and why it is worth defending. Our Founders believed the study of history and citizenship should be at the core of every American's education. By encouraging students to learn more about American history and values, we can help prepare the next generation of Americans to carry our heritage of freedom into the future. To further this goal, my Administration has created initiatives such as "We the People" and "Our Documents" to help bring the stories and documents central to our history into the modern classroom.

Loyalty Day encourages citizens to demonstrate their commitment to our country by supporting our military, serving each other, and teaching our young people about our history and values. Being an American is a privilege, and our patriotism is a living faith in our country's founding ideals and the promise of the American Dream.

The Congress, by Public Law 85-529, as amended, has designated May 1 of each year as "Loyalty Day," and I ask all Americans to join me in this day of celebration and in reaffirming our allegiance to our Nation.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim May 1, 2004, as Loyalty Day. I call upon all the people of the United States to join in support of this national observance. I also call upon government officials to display the flag of the United States on all government buildings on Loyalty Day.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this thirtieth day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand four, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and twenty-eighth.

GEORGE W. BUSH

The White House

Via Pandagon.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK!
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you already have like, Independence Day and Flag Day? I'd only go along with that if you got a holiday! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yawol Mein President!

Yet another silly proclimation: there's probably three official "days" for every real day of the year by now.

THere's Teacher's Day, Secretary's Day etc...why not join the President in his bold venture into the unexplored realm of abstract moral concepts.

I say bring on Integrity Day, Trust Day and Freedom Day!

Not to leave out his campaign contributors, there will also be Faith Day, Corperate Day and Energy Day!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget Love Day. [Smile]

Oh what about dignity day.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Don't you already have like, Independence Day and Flag Day? I'd only go along with that if you got a holiday! [Smile]

I dont know what the hell FLag Day is but Independence Day is my birthday, so I'm all for the resulting fireworks, bikini clad women on the beach and barbecued everything that goes with it.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I dont know what the hell FLag Day is..."

June 14. Anniversary of the day Congress adopted the national flag.

By the way, it's "jawohl".

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well, I've never actually said that word so forgive me...
Crazy germans and their language.

hmmm...is Picard still french in the German dubbed version of TNG?

Gotta ask Bernd.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh for...this is a joke, right? Somebody made that speech up....right?

Marian

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, this time it's actually not a spoof... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't this masterpiece of Orwellian programming instituted last year?
MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right, it was:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/04/20030430-26.html

And in 2001:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/04/20010426-4.html

Whitehouse.gov doesn't have the 2004 one up yet.

Marian

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and if he gets in to office again he will abolish the Constitution and Congress, just before he names himself President Forever. and if you disagree with him you are not a patriot, loyal to your country........

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to rain on the parade of our friendly neighborhood Bush-hating paranoid schizophrenics, but "Loyalty Day" has been around since the 1930's and was officially proclaimed a holiday in 1949 by the Eisenhower administration.

In fact, it's even in the US Code: Title 36 Section 115.

quote:
Section 115. Loyalty Day

(a) Designation. - May 1 is Loyalty Day.
(b) Purpose. - Loyalty Day is a special day for the reaffirmation
of loyalty to the United States and for the recognition of the
heritage of American freedom.
(c) Proclamation. - The President is requested to issue a
proclamation -
(1) calling on United States Government officials to display
the flag of the United States on all Government buildings on
Loyalty Day; and
(2) inviting the people of the United States to observe Loyalty
Day with appropriate ceremonies in schools and other suitable
places.

Even Clinton issued Loyalty Day proclamations.

You may now resume your regularly scheduled Hour of Hate.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't like Bill, er, Hillary, er which ever ran the damn country either.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps