Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Bush/Gore: Who would you vote? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Bush/Gore: Who would you vote?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, and now we get back to the subject. You, Jay, contend that minimum wage increases limit "economic stratification" (like that's such a horrible thing to begin with, but I digress). I respond with the statement that they do no such thing, in that jobs are simply eliminated to make up for the increased pay. Your answer is...?

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
McDonald's still needs so many burger-flippers and cashiers. We'd more likely get a price increase.

Omega, no matter what Jay's opinions are, you're the one losing respect when you start calling names.

------------------
"Poetic souls delight in prose insane."
--Lord Byron

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega, he is still recovering because he still has to fight the urges he has, even though it has been years since he did the hard-core drugs. It's similar to what alcoholics in AA have to deal with.

------------------
So why don't we make a little room in my BMW babe
Searching for some peace of mind
Hey I'll help you find it
I do believe that we are practicing the same religion
- from the song "Fastlove"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, even if Texas was dead last in most of those categories, I wouldn't consider it anything but a failure if in eight years Bush couldn't get them any better than a whole pile of 48ths and 47ths.

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael:

"Omega, he is still recovering because he still has to fight the urges he has, even though it has been years since he did the hard-core drugs."

We're talking about BUSH, here? GEORGE W. Bush, governer of Texas, son of George H.W. Bush? It's about the only thing that fits your posts, but I'm still kinda surprised. There is absolutely NO evidence that he ever used drugs. There are no WITNESSES to him using drugs. Heck, no one ever even made a real accusation. It's just something the media cooked up to try and destroy him. Not that it matters, as polls show that most people couldn't care less if he (or Gore, for that matter) had used drugs thirty years ago or not.

Tom:

"Well, even if Texas was dead last in most of those categories, I wouldn't consider it anything but a failure if in eight years Bush couldn't get them any better than a whole pile of 48ths and 47ths."

Never use numbers that are dependant upon other, unknown variables to make a point. It doesn't follow that just because the state is in 47th RELATIVE to the other states, that it hasn't improved all that much.

And I think he's only been governer since '94.

Ziyal:

"McDonald's still needs so many burger-flippers and cashiers. We'd more likely get a price increase."

Not if the owner of that particular franchise couldn't afford the increased wages (a dollar an hour for twenty people really adds up). Then he'd more likely close the establishment, and you'd all be out of a job.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*comes back after fighting a very very VERY bad cold to a stalemate (we declared an armistice yesterday)*

Couple points of order:

1. In a union of 50 states, SOMEBODY has to be first, and somebody HAS to be last. It's a false example, like saying "AIEE! 50% of students scored below average!!" Yeah, and the other 50% above. That's what averages are.

So, a ranking means very little if the spread isn't much. If the top salary is, say, 34K, and the lowest salary is 32K, that's only a difference of 2K.

So what's the spread?

2: I don't know about other places, but the library I work at pays its staff a certain percentage above minimum wage, in order to remain competitive. Now, in some organizations, that may be just great. But in a place on a pretty-much-fixed budget, a raise in one area necessarily requires a drop in some other area.

And since minimum wage STILL isn't the same as a living wage, raising it really doesn't have much of an effect on anybody's quality of life, outside of students with no other source of support, anyway.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is me.

And it's nice, because it means you actually have a chance of getting one day a week off.

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I respond with the statement that they do no such thing, in that jobs are simply eliminated to make up for the increased pay. Your answer is...?

I disagree.

quote:
Not if the owner of that particular franchise couldn't afford the increased wages (a dollar an hour for twenty people really adds up). Then he'd more likely close the establishment, and you'd all be out of a job.

Bold pronouncement. And if there is still a profit, albeit a smaller one, in it the selling of burgers to Lower Schmoeville residents? Owner person just up and quits? Bad business move that.
------------------
Oh, fiddle faddle, everyone knows that our mutants have flippers. Oops, I've said too much.....
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited August 22, 2000).]

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most Texans think Bush has done a good job anyways... The only people whining and complaining about Bush's job are the Democrats.

------------------
Intelligence, Integrity, Responsibility.
Vote Bush/Cheney 2000

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, yes. Thank goodness we can handwave honest disagreements away as mere partisan trumpeting. Makes things much easier.

And George II has probably vaccumed enough blow to keep an entire Real World cast high for months. Well, maybe not Hawaii.

------------------
Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.
--
Ambrose Bierce
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! It's useless to struggle.

Omega
Member # 91

Jay:

"I disagree."

*L*

OK, WHY do you disagree?

"And if there is still a profit, albeit a smaller one, in it the selling of burgers to Lower Schmoeville residents? Owner person just up and quits?"

OK, let's see here. Say that a McDonalds has ten people working at any given time (just a nice, round number). These places are probably open eighteen hours a day. So that's $180 less profit per day, assuming a $1 per hour wage increase. That works out to $63,000 a year. Just for the sake of argument, let's say fifty thousand. Now, these places operate on budgets. Where's that money going to come from? There aren't going to be that many unbudgeted dollars.

Hypothetical train of thought of a fast food franchise owner: "So I need fifty grand. Where am I going to get that out of the budget? Maybe we can forget getting that intercom that actually makes voices intelligable. We don't HAVE to pave the parking lot, do we? No, I guess we really do. Well, we could always fire a couple people. That'd make up for most of the losses. Oh, wait, we're running with a minimal staff as it is. I suppose I could raise prices, but then I'd do less business, and I'd be right back where I started. I could take it out of my own salary, but then I'd be better off selling the land to those people that want to build condos, and going back to whatever I was doing before. I'd be making less money here than I would be there."

Under any circumstances, jobs are eliminated. This leads to more of that "economic stratification" you're so worried about. Two classes: those that have the well-paying part time jobs, and those that don't have a job at alll; instead of a larger, combined class of those that have a reasonable-paying part time job.

Sol:

"And George II has probably vaccumed enough blow to keep an entire Real World cast high for months."

And again, your evidence being?

And he's not George II, or George Jr. Funny thing, how the media keep calling him "Jr." when he's not a junior, and his opponent IS "Albert Arnold Gore, Jr."

------------------
- George Bernard Shaw

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*conano'brienspeak*

His daddy's Georgie...he's a Georgie...it seems to me like he's a jun'r...

------------------
"What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad."
- Dave Barry

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega must have missed that bit that showed people living in tin shacks, Oh BBC. You are beautiful. Yup, GWB is doing a great job. If you're not any of the following: Poor, different, non-complaint, mexican, 'liberal', uninsured, uneducated. That leaves who? Why his rich pals in the arms and oil industries.

Who does care if George snorted a bit in his time? It means nothing.

------------------
"More beer, more beer, more beer, more beer! ARSE!"
- Ode to God.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the junior issue...my grandfather was named Frank Gerratana. My father was named Frank Joseph Gerratana. I'm Frank Louis Gerratana. Nowhere in there is a Sr., Jr., II, III, or anything else, because we all conveniently have different middle names.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"And on a wholly unrelated note, I went to high school with Fidel Castro. So there." - Simon Sizer

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol:

You da bomb.

Omega:

As for my non agreement, you have given me no reason to agree. You get to do the digging this time...and I get to stand on the sidelines and snipe.

quote:
There aren't going to be that many unbudgeted dollars.

Your evidence being?

------------------
Oh, fiddle faddle, everyone knows that our mutants have flippers. Oops, I've said too much.....
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited August 23, 2000).]

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps