Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Bush/Gore: Who would you vote? (Page 7)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Bush/Gore: Who would you vote?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who was voiced by Robert Stack, no less. Whoever the hell he is. And he was pants anyway. Now, Springer, he's a real cool guy. Or Rattrap.

And having finally seen Beast Machines, I am overjoyed that Jetstorm sounds like Vegita. Er, Vegita when he was voiced by Brian Dobson that is. Because Jetstorm's voiced by Brain Dobson. Not now though. Now everyone sound pants. Although Goku and Vegita sound less pants than everyone else. Guy-who-was-Rhinox sounds awful. As does Krillen.

Er, go democrats. Or republicans. Either one's good.

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

Squirrelman
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With regard to the minimum wage discussion:

I would argue that the minimum wage would tend to be inflationary, but that it is also a matter of degree. Obviously if you raised it by 20 dollars an hour, there'd be economic disruption. Raising the minimum wage by two dollars an hour would not be harmful, nor would the resulting slight inflation cancel out the extra money the workers got. Minimum wage workers are after all less than 10 percent of the workforce.

Mostly, the money wouldn't come out of the pockets of employers. They'd pass it on to consumers, since no individual minimum-wage dependent business like a burger place would be at a competitive disadvantage. All the other burger places would also have to raise wages. So you'd have a slight price increase. (as I recall when you buy a big mac, something like 10 percent of the price is the labor cost).

So what you'd end up with is not a transfer of wealth from employers. What'd you'd have is a slight redistribution of wealth from the the population as a whole, to minimum-wage workers.

There is nothing sinister about this. First, capitalism itself was built on a huge redistribution of wealth by force. That's how the world works. Second, when businesses pay extremely low wages, they are "socializing" their profits. That is, the public is subsidizing their cheap labor through the tax costs of the social-welfare state (low income health care, police, etc). Take away the social welfare state? Well, that's a whole other argument, but I would just say: be careful what you wish for.

The last point I'd make is that when adjusted for inflation, the minimum wage today is lower than it was in the 1960s. Employers are hardly a bunch of oppressed victims.

IP: Logged
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that anyone really seems to care anymore, but returning to the original question, I would have to vote Gore. I just find him less stupid (note: not MORE intelligent) than Bush. Plus his daughter writes for Futurama, and unless Bush's son is Matt Groening, well that just blows him out of the water.

------------------
"Life sucks, then you die"

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And again, I must ask: exactly why in the world would you think that the man who vastly improved Texas is not as smart as the man who said he invented the internet, claimed he was the subject of "Love Story", and has done what good, exactly, for the country? Or my state, for that matter?

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think he's all that smart, and neither is gore, but I feel that Gore is LESS stupid. Somehow, I just think that George W. is being controlled by his dad. And he only improved Texas in certain areas. In and of itself, I don't see how Bush was a super exceptional governor, on the other hand he wasn't a terrible one either. I'd just vote for Gore, is that okay with everyone...

------------------

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...but I feel that Gore is LESS stupid..."

Notice, "I FEEL". No logic. No rational explaination. No emperical evidence. You just FEEL that he's less stupid. Just like a lot of people FEEL like Gore cares more, or that he loves the teachers more. There's no reason behind it. Heck, Bush MARRIED a teacher. Why don't we judge these people on how effective they'd be as president, based on their stated ideas (and how well those ideas can be trusted, of course)? Sounds like a lot more effective way to determine who to vote for...

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because if we started voting for people based on how efective they'd be as president, there would never BE a president.

Some presidents are just THERE. They don't all have to be great. No one ever says, "DAMN, that Millard Fillmore was the cat's ass!" or "This sorta shit would NEVER happen if Rutherford B. Hayes was around t'kick some ass!"

------------------
"There are three things I HATE, Jet: kids..pets..& women with attitudes. So WHY do we have all THREE on BOARD?!?"--Spike Spiegel

Omega
Member # 91

Well, you don't have to be the most effective president in history. Just moreso than your opponents.

------------------
- George Bernard Shaw

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Liberalism is one of the most gutless choices you can make. Liberalism doesn't require any thought. All you have to do is feel."

------------------
Intelligence, Integrity, Responsibility.
Vote Bush/Cheney 2000

Omega
Member # 91

Hey, a fellow DittoHead.

But if you really want to get into the way certain cantidates make you feel...

------------------
- George Bernard Shaw

[This message has been edited by Omega (edited August 29, 2000).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

------------------
"What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad."
- Dave Barry

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The baldfaced selfishness and mercenary behavior of big business in America and the feckless matetrial minded minions who follow wherever they go, lay at the heart of the balkanized society we are becoming. If we have not already become so.

There is a book by a fellow named Francis Fukuyama, The End of History and the Last Man that argues in general that in a post-Stalinist era "people in the West themselves came to question whether liberal democracy was in the fact a general aspiration of all mankind...."

Read some of the reviews and a general synopsishere.

The point being that government is an institution that evolves along with the humanity that makes it up. There are many in American who see government appropriated and becoming a growing coporate democracy...in a way devolving back into democratic inclusion only for the wealthy. Or what might be defined in America as the new and growing class of super wealthy.

It takes real courage and introspection to fight for social change. To fight against the growing trend of American coporate democracy. The easy route to turn inward and look only personal profit at the expense of humanity.

Self-interest is the royal road.

You folks can quote Limbaugh all you want. When pressed, he just runs and hides behind the skirts of 'oh, I'm just and entertainer...mine aren't real political opinions.'

Good job Squirrelman, and good job Omega for ducking the issues he brought up by hiding behind purty drawin's.

quote:
Human life...involves a curious paradox: it seems to require injustice, for the struggle against injustice is what calls forth what is highest in man.

Stephen Holmes - The New Republic on Fukuyama.

------------------
Oh, fiddle faddle, everyone knows that our mutants have flippers. Oops, I've said too much.....
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UM: LOL!!!!

------------------
Oh, fiddle faddle, everyone knows that our mutants have flippers. Oops, I've said too much.....
~C. Montgomery Burns

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

All right, here is why I THINK Bush is stupider than Gore. Its very simple, I believe that Bush's foreign affairs skills are severely lacking (just look at that little test he took), and I BELIEVE Gore is also stupid, in many ways, but less so. Claiming he invented the internet I just call arrogance.
I apologize, Omega, if this still doesn't meet with your approval, but this is simply my opinion. You don't have to agree. But at least let me keep it in peace.
------------------

[This message has been edited by USS Vanguard (edited August 30, 2000).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno.. I'd rather have a president who had trouble remembering the name of the premier of Zimbabwe than one who was suspected of indulging in numerous illegal and unethical activities.

"Really, I didn't know that dinner was a fundraising one!"
"I didn't know you can't make fundraising calls from here!'
"I REALLY didn't know you needed those e-mails!"
"I never had any idea what President Clinton, the man I worked closely with for eight years, was doing!"

Gore's commercial says he 'broke with his party to support the Gulf War.' This is untrue. He 'sold' his vote to the side that agreed to provide him with the most 'air time.'

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps