Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Bush/Gore: Who would you vote? (Page 8)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Bush/Gore: Who would you vote?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vanguard:

Foreign affairs skills and foreign affairs trivia are two completely seperate things. And exactly what foreign affairs experience does Gore have?

Besides, what he does for the people of THIS country is FAR more important than foreign affairs, anyway.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Castle syndrome.

------------------
"More beer, more beer, more beer, more beer! ARSE!"
- Ode to God.

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, what they asked Bush was far from Trivia. Although i don't have it with me, they asked him about leaders of major political hotspots (Taiwan, India, etc), these are the people who he will have to deal with if he becomes president, he should at least know who they are.

Now, will you please just let me have my damn opinion. You like bush, good for you. I prefer Gore. So I don't think Bush is all that smart, I just think he's got too much George Bush Sr. and not enough George Bush Jr. ALSO, didn't someone already post a bunch of statistics on how texas is now worse off...

------------------
"Life sucks, then you die"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems more than a little disingenious to dislike Gore because of "suspected illegalites" and not extend that same dislike to, say, someone suspected of consuming mountains of Columbian White Lady. Now personally, I tend to doubt both of these accusations. I'm just saying, is all.

Plus, Columbian White Lady is more fun to say than shady fundraising scheme.

------------------
Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.
--
Ambrose Bierce
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! It's useless to struggle.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it genuinely bother you that they may have taken drugs, or that they broke 'the law'? I'm just curious which (if any) bothers you more.....

------------------
"More beer, more beer, more beer, more beer! ARSE!"
- Ode to God.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think for a politician to have gotten that far, he must've had to kiss more than a few corporations' butts. None of them is better than the other in that respect.

------------------
"Poetic souls delight in prose insane."
--Lord Byron

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it does not bother me, especially if it happened early in life. Far too many people tend to feel that politicians are supposed to be these perfect model citizens. They're not, and really they shouldn't be. What happened during Bush or Gore's college years is no one's business. If Bush smoked weed, good for him. I doubt there's anyone here who would say they're the same person they were 20 years ago.

------------------
"Life sucks, then you die"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, most people would say that they were in a non-coporeal state of not actually existing 20 years ago. Or that they were a dog, or something.

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
20 years ago, I was almost 9. It's safe to say I was different then. But not all that much. I just knew less.

I agree, personal behaviour, insofar as it does NOT coincide with one's professional life, is a nonissue.
F'r instance, If Candidate A did a little weed back in the 60's with his college buddies.

HOWEVER, during the professional life, the conditions are different, and we would be RIGHT to be upset if Candidate A did a little weed with a lobbyist from Red China, and a guy at Los Alamos.

Much as we would have grounds to be upset with the Amtrak operator who smoked pot at home where it's fairly innocuous, but then decided to bring some to work with him... and then crashed the train.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, First, now that you've used that example it's only a matter of time before frat boys everywhere rush to the defense of the sweet Lady Jane. "Dude, no one has ever gotten in a weed related accident! It's, like, impossible!"

------------------
Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.
--
Ambrose Bierce
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! It's useless to struggle.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a college student. I've done the burger-flipping thing ... (well, ok, it was pizza slapping ... $7.50 at Domino's and $8 at a crappy mall chain Villa Pizza, which I just quit).

I am now working for $5.5 an hour. At Papa Johns' Pizza, delivering. Do you HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH MONEY I'M MAKING? I'm RICH compared to other college students ... I'm making $400 in tips per week and an extra $150 in my check (I'm taking the semester off to pay off my credit cards).

The point is, you raise minimum wage ... good! DO THAT. But some of us know that minimum wage jobs without tips & mileage are LOUSY DEALS. Why would I want a job where I have to talk to customers and sweat, when I can drive my Jeep around, listen to music, and the most my interaction is consists of, "hi, here's your pizza, it's $10, please tip me"

I am for Al Gore. GO DEMOCRATS! The Republican policies bother me. 10 years ago, Ted Danson performed "black face" at a Republican gathering ... 10 years ago ... guys, 10 years ago isn't long enough to clean the racism and other social phobias from the Republican party.

Is the Democratic party a lot better? No. But, you know what? They're showing it a lot better. A Jew as the VP candidate? C'mon ... when has the Republican party nominated anyone besides a WASP?

My vote is for Gore. And the bumpersticker on my Jeep proudly proclaims that.

GO GORE! GO GORE! GO GORE!

------------------
You wouldn't understand ... it's a Jeep thing

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, man, at least the religious on the conservative side aren't hypocritical about it. I mean, if Lieberman really was the orthodox Jew he claims to be, there's no effing way that he'd have voted against banning the infanticide that is so euphamistically known as partial-birth abortion.

I'm laying ten to one odds that you can't name ONE policy in which Gore has the advantage over Bush. Place your bets, everyone.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Advantage in whose point of view? Jesus Christ.

On a side note, an astrologist on Live with Regis said W. is more likely to win.

------------------
"Poetic souls delight in prose insane."
--Lord Byron

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Star Wars talking bank keeps telling me that Nader is going to win, but I'm not sure I get the context. "I am Lord Nader, I am your father." I'm not too sure about that last part.

Plus, my monkey in a jar said that Bush AND Gore would win. But, I just think he's been skipping out on his psychic training classes.

------------------
"What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad."
- Dave Barry

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So why is Bush being so hard to find for a debate?

"Debates are all about expectations, which are rock bottom for Bush, and his aides are doing their best to keep them that way," N.Y. Times

George W. and his advisors know that his decision to go negative on Gore is a bad omen. "since the dawn of polling, the candidate ahead on Labor Day has ended up winning" (Newsweek, Sept. 11, 2000). The Newsweek poll of registered voters: Gore, 49% Bush, 39%

"I'm a seventh grade teacher and mother of two. I watched Bush. I watched Gore. Gore made me cry - twice. If my husband ever kissed me the way Gore kissed Tipper, I might not watch so much television." Kris Tierney-Sword, Dillingham, Ala

"In June 1998, Gov. George W. Bush sold his share of the Texas Rangers Baseball Club for $14.9 million. His original investment was $609,000, Last month, Richard Cheney received an estimated $20 million retirement package from the Halliburton Co., even though he retired three years before becoming officially eligible to do so. Also, in August, President Clinton asked Americans, 'Are you better off today than you were eight years ago?' In the interest of honesty in government, can't he count on Bush and Cheney to say yes?"
Norman L. Bender, Woodbridge, Conn

"The religious right should rejoice in the selection of Senator Lieberman. There is now one candidate who actually obeys all Ten Commandments that they want to post in our schools" Neal Matson, Fairbanks, Alaska

(These quotes also from Newsweek, Sept. 11, 2000)

------------------
You wouldn't understand ... it's a Jeep thing

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps