Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Bush/Gore: Who would you vote? (Page 9)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Bush/Gore: Who would you vote?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So why is Bush being so hard to find for a debate?"

That question should be applied to Gore, not Bush. Gore said that he'd debate Bush any time, anywhere, or words to that effect. He also said that he'd debate Bush on a specific cable show (who's name escapes me at the mo), the host of which is a good friend of Gore's. Bush said, "OK, let's debate on that show." Gore THEN said, "oh, you just want to debate on a show that has no audience. Let's debate HERE, instead." Even though this show drew an 11 rating during Gore's debate with Perot, which is incredible for a cable show. So he's not only flip-flopped, he's insulted the show, which, again, is hosted by a great supporter of his. Smart, Al.

Seems like it'd make a LOT more sense to just make a press release, saying, "OK, we're both going to be here at this place at this time, arguing. Feel free to cover it." But, hey, what do I know? 'Course, then we wouldn't have the wonderful opportunity to see Gore shoot himself in the foot yet again...

"The Newsweek poll of registered voters: Gore, 49% Bush, 39%"

With the operative phrase being "registered voters". You don't poll registered voters if you want an accurate sample. You poll likely voters. www.rasmussenresearch.com does just that, and last I checked, Bush was up by around 2.5%, with a 2.1% margin of error. Then there's www.battlegroundpoll.com, which spends tons of money to get a sample that absolutely WILL vote, short of being in a coma at the time. 'Course, I've had some trouble finding any results on their website...

"I'm a seventh grade teacher and mother of two. I watched Bush. I watched Gore. Gore made me cry - twice. If my husband ever kissed me the way Gore kissed Tipper, I might not watch so much television."

Complete emotional drivel. This has nothing to do with Gore's issues. It has nothing to do with his qualifications to be president, or what kind of job he'd do. That kiss was staged, specifically to gain this kind of effect with this specific type of irrational, unthinking woman. Ask her, and she'd probably tell you that it's the issues that she likes about Gore, but ask a few more questions, and she probably couldn't tell you the reality of Bush's plans.

"...In August, President Clinton asked Americans, 'Are you better off today than you were eight years ago?'"

*L* Not according to Lieberman. According to his convention speech, and Clinton's campaigning in '92, the number of uninsured children in the country has gone up by around fifteen million since Clinton got elected. And didn't Gore say NOT to vote for him on the basis of the economy?

"The religious right should rejoice in the selection of Senator Lieberman. There is now one candidate who actually obeys all Ten Commandments that they want to post in our schools"

I'll ignore the gross misrepresentation of conservative positions, for now...

Lieberman does not follow the ten commandments. He supported clinical infanticide: "You shall not kill." He's worked on Saturday (not that I personally have a problem with that, but it's still against what he claims to believe). He helped Clinton get away with perjury. The case could be made that he lied on the floor of the Senate: he said that Clinton was scum (well, you know what I mean), but then voted to acquit. He's flip-flopped on major issues to agree with Gore.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homer:
[looks at ballot information] Hmm...I don't agree with his Bart-killing policy, but I do approve of his Selma-killing policy. [votes for Bob]

Krusty:
Well, he framed me for armed robbery, but man, I'm aching for that upper-class tax cut. [votes for Bob]

------------------
Oh, fiddle faddle, everyone knows that our mutants have flippers. Oops, I've said too much.....
~C. Montgomery Burns

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UM: Oh, now I can't say anything that deviates from science and not get criticism for it? Lighten up, will ya? That astrologist bit was for jest.

------------------
"Poetic souls delight in prose insane."
--Lord Byron

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
::scrolls back, reads again::

Er ... ah ... um ... ooops?

Sorry, Ziyal, didn't mean to attack you ... (just the guys who for some reason like Bush...)

------------------
You wouldn't understand ... it's a Jeep thing

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember people (read: republicans) blasting Clinton for not serving in the military ...

But, wait ...

George W. didn't serve in the military either. Shouldn't they be saying something about this??

------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, no. He wasn't blasted for not serving in the military. He was blasted for being a draft-dodger.

Still waiting for an issue on which Gore has the advantage...

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Instead of blasting the candidates ... why don't we just discuss policy?

Here's one: "Gays in the military" ...

Should homosexuals be allowed to serve in the military?

Absolutely. Equality means exactly that, without regards to sex, skin color or sexual orientation. The same people who don't want gays in the military are the same people (well, not really the SAME people, but like-minded people) who didn't want people of different colors in the military.

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. The real problem with gays in the military is that most of the guys who don't want gays in the military are IN the military already -- not that ALL people in the military are anti-gay, mind you, I know that's not true. However, there are enough macho a$$holes there to make life difficult on anyone they even suspect, whether or NOT the official military policy condones it... same as that one barracks I remember hearing about was a haven for racists, and how some male cadets at the citadel and other former 'military' academies have abused female students.

Now, if we could just get rid of those tiny-brained change-phobic nitwits, that'd help. Hmm, let's start a little war and send only THEM!

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good lord, for once I agree with First. However there is one flaw in the plan. Not something I agree with, but it will be an undeniable by product. Trust, or the lack thereof. If there are people who don't want gays in there, then its sure as hell they won't trust them. If a military doesn't have trust between its own men, it doesn't function. End of story. So, you either have to remove the homophobes, or the gays. Sad, but true.

------------------
"More beer, more beer, more beer, more beer! ARSE!"
- Ode to God.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not so. At least, not quite in that way, Daryus.

I have no doubt that there were many racists in the U.S. armed forces when Truman ordered black and white units to be integrated. I don't see that this diminished their combat effectiveness.

------------------
Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.
--
Ambrose Bierce
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! It's useless to struggle.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps