Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Eat the meat... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Eat the meat...
Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in Northern California, land of the bloody Vegans.

Most of the animal rights bumper stickers I see on VW microbuses and Volvos are accompanied by "Choice!" and "Keep Your Laws Off My Body!" bumper stickers.

hey, doll, keep your trendy, self-righteous liberal morality out of my kitchen and you've got a deal.

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry, more ranting:

local radio station had a long interview with a guy pushing the Vegan lifestyle (Surprise surprise-- he was also in the healthfood business)

This guy argued that humans are not made to eat meat. When a caller asked about our canine teeth, he answered, "Human teeth don't look like a cat's."

yeah, sparky, but they don't look like a bunny or a horse's either.

I'm personally waiting for all those promised breakthroughs in science that will permit the mass growth of meat-like protein strands or vegetable-tissue without the need for an acre of farmland, no cow herds, no slaughterhouses or farm labor.

Until then, it's still Babe-the-Pig and Bossy-the-Cow

--------------
proud member of PETA: people for the eating of tasty animals

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say, I'm with Tim and Xentrick on this one. Mainly not because I have anything against Vegetarians, but because I think it's unheathly, and because a large proportian of vegetarians I meet are stuck-up trendy cows (that was an ironic use of the term "cow" BTW, which I'm rather proud of).

"I'm attempting to become vegetarian"

Er, pardon? Do you have to take a test, or something?

------------------
"If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move." - Spike, BtVS

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried vegetarianism for about 2 weeks in 1994. I had 2 things going against me: I was working in a restaurant at the time & I kept having dreams about being put on trial by the Phylosians for crimes against sentient life.

Since then, I've only eaten artificial food: Pop-Tarts, candy, cookies, crackers, McDonald's, that sort of shit.

------------------
"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much."

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Er, pardon? Do you have to take a test, or something?"

If that's what I have to do, it'd be easy. I doubt it's proven that vegetarianism is unhealthy, but if we assume that it is, it's probably far less unhealthy than, say, eating McDonald's once a week. I do intend to eat fish or chicken once every so often (though I'd have to quit eating them first...). Besides, whatever protein you need from meat you can get from eggs.

------------------
"The distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."
--Albert Eistein

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, just for example, my roommate has been vegetarian nearly all her life (her mother's vegetarian). She's skinny, ran track in high school, plays 4 instruments, and got the full scholarship to come to USC. You decide if that's related to vegetarianism.

------------------
"The distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."
--Albert Eistein

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say no. :-)

And wouldn't eating eggs be non-vegetarian? I mean, eggs don't exactly grow on trees...

Yes, I know that's a horrible joke. Shut up. *L*

------------------
"Yeah...apparently Sizer is very hard to say, so they replace it with 'Is Mr. Caeser home?'
Sometimes I'll say that no, he has, in fact, passed away.
'My apologies.'
'Oh, that's ok, I'm over it. Brutus is still a wreck though.'
Then I hang up."
-Simon Sizer on telemarketers, 1-Nov-2000

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was appalling. My "connected at the hip" joke was far superior, nyah!

Soooo...why do you want to become a Vegetarian then Tora? Is it the killing animals thing, or is it the health thing? Because while you're no doubt right about McDonald's not being the healthiest food around, you don't have to give up all meat just to avoid eating a Big Mac.

Annddd...if you are going to eat chicken, then surely that means you're not a vegetarian by a strict (or even a loose) definition of the word?

Actually, why do you have to put a label on it at all. Can't you just be someone who eats healthily, whether it be chicken, eggs, or human?

------------------
"If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move." - Spike, BtVS

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's this little place in Uganda that you can get BBQ human ribs for about 3 cents a slab. Not to bad really, unless they over cook them.

I was a vegan once, I lived on barley and hopps for about 6 months.

------------------
Yep

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ultra,

I brought up "guns" in response to *your* opening post, "as I assume the guns used to kill animals ... will inevitbly get mention."

I simply meant to state that I've got no problems with rifles and shotguns used for hunting, so don't go off on a tangent. If you didn't want guns brought up, you shouldn't have mentioned them yourself.

Now, back to the topic ... the only meat I usually eat is from McDonalds ... and I think I read somewhere that its made of kelp?!

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000
I'll hug your elephant if you'll kiss my ass.
"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited November 05, 2000).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Jeff, I hate to break this to you, but Ultra was trying to be "funny" (an succeeding, too), by gently poking fun at the way that guns can creap into just about any post here.

It was an humorous moment, much to the delight of all present.

------------------

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

"And wouldn't eating eggs be non-vegetarian? I mean, eggs don't exactly grow on trees..."

I think it depends from person to person whether vegetarians can eat eggs or not, since you don't kill anything to get it. Milk doesn't grow on trees either, but vegetarians drink it.

Liam: I'd like to be vegetarian mostly because of the health thing and some because of the nature religion thing (but not all pagans are vegetarians). But since I like meat, nor do I think it's wrong to eat it, it's kinda hard to stop (especially if you have a mandatory meal plan). And I say vegetarian because it's an easier term than "person who eats mostly veggies and some fish and chicken." I'd like to eat less carbohydrates, too, but that's even harder since the supermarket next to me only sells one type of tofu. And tofu is only good in a Chinese dish. I tried it cooked Italian style once. It was nasty.

------------------
--Albert Eistein

[This message has been edited by Tora Ziyal (edited November 05, 2000).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, Liam, I gotcha

Ultra: I'm sorry, I didn't realize you didn't mean to have it taken so literally, but the issue of firearms for hunting v other purposes comes up quite a bit when this issue is debated, so I chose to reply to it.

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000
I'll hug your elephant if you'll kiss my ass.
"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...but not all pagans are vegetarians..."

Well, no kidding. Considering that "pagan" covers all but one religion (or, in the narrowest sense, all but three)...

------------------
"Yeah...apparently Sizer is very hard to say, so they replace it with 'Is Mr. Caeser home?'
Sometimes I'll say that no, he has, in fact, passed away.
'My apologies.'
'Oh, that's ok, I'm over it. Brutus is still a wreck though.'
Then I hang up."
-Simon Sizer on telemarketers, 1-Nov-2000

Sidewinder
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for Sidewinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, can you clarify something here? What exactly is meant when one (perhaps of a cult-like religion) calls another (Christian religion) a pagan?

pa�gan (From infoplease.com)

Pronunciation: (pA'gun), [key]
�n.
1. one of a people or community observing a polytheistic religion, as the ancient
Romans and Greeks.
2. a person who is not a Christian, Jew, or Muslim.
3. an irreligious or hedonistic person.

�adj.
1. pertaining to the worship or worshipers of any religion that is neither Christian,
Jewish, nor Muslim.
2. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of pagans.
3. irreligious or hedonistic.

Now what the heck is going on here?

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps