Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » "Americans" this.... (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: "Americans" this....
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd pay real money to see a "wet t-shit competition" myself.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something like that. He parachuted into Normandy during WW2 after receiving an exemption due to his age. He was too old.

Isn't he president pro tempore of the senate, or something? At one point in time, that would have put him in line for presidential succession, but I'm not versed on the current laws.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You would Liam, because you are a very very troubled person.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Strom Thurmond is still the President Pro Tempore of the Senate, he's third in line to the Oval Office. The Presidential Succession goes Vice-President to Speaker of the House of Representatives to President Pro Tempore of the Senate. After that, it starts with the President's Cabinet members going from highest rank (Secretary of State, Secretary of Treasury, Attorney General) to the lowest rank (Secretary of Education and Secretary of Veterans Affairs).

Order of Presidential Succession

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think that's proof positive that Franklin et. al were smoking the ganga.

Was the parliamentary option that awful?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leaving aside the issue of relative merit, the U.S. and the U.K. don't have a great deal in common as far as legislative structure goes. Congress is a curious Roman melange, rather than a straightforward parliamentary adaptation.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As should be obvious, it's "Strom", not "Storm". He's a ninety-eight-and-a-half-year-old senator from South Carolina who's been in the Sentate since 1954. Yes, he's the president pro tempore, and has been since 1981. Apparently, he also ran for president of the country in 1948.

Basically, he's a US politician who's really really really old.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
but I'm not versed on the current laws.

Which explains quite a bit ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
** failed experiment...move on. **

[ July 03, 2001: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voivod, welcome to the board! Wow this post is getting larger then I though.

I'd hate to say it, but have you ever lived in the United States, or does your information only come from the Swiss angle? Personally, I would have to live anywhere I would make judgements on before I expected people to take my words for what they are.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'd hate to say it, but have you ever lived in the United States, or does your information only come from the Swiss angle?"

Er, how would the information change if she (where'd I get the idea that she is a "she"?) came from a different country?

"Personally, I would have to live anywhere I would make judgements on before I expected people to take my words for what they are."

Sorry, but that's frankly ridiculous. Only Yanks can make comments on the United States and be taken seriously? Only Brits can comment on the UK?Can we not criticise Iraq unless we spend a few years there?

Heaven forbid you could learn about other countries actions by watching the news. Or reading.

And in any case, the US varies a lot more from place to place than most countries, due to your state system. I'm sure your experience of the US is very different than some other peoples.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had the sampler and have lived in the Southwest, Midwest, and Northwest. I'm unfamilure with east the east coast but have visited.

Do you truly belive everything the media has to offer? People I know that have lived in russia say that anyones image of it - even from National Geographic and such - is completely diffrent until you experience it.

The fact remains, one's view is not fully complete unless that person has first-hand experience of it.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The media... *laugh*

The media that once almost reported on-air that the Previous Bush had died during that Tokyo summit? When he had the flu?

I remember my mom had an exchange student from Costa Rica who said that the media in their country had reported that terrorists blew up the space shuttle, and three people had survived.

And let's not even TALK about state-run media, or corporate media, self-censorship, and the twists and turns they'll take to get ratings and/or avoid losing valuable sponsors...

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's closer to the parliament than you think. I learned this in my American politics class.

So i'll explain it a bit to you. Here goes:

The House of Commons, in Parliament, is the house of people who are voted into office by their peers. This is the structure the House of Representatives was based on.

The House of Lords, in Parliament, is the gauranteed spot of anyone who owns a certain amount of English soil. At the time we were build the government, these people were the aristocracy, the rich people, etc. The common people DO NOT get to vote on this. They are simply there, no election. This is the structure the Senate was based on. BACK THEN, we did not vote for our Senators. There was a different selection process based on land.

The President, of course, is like the Monarch, only without absolute power.

So it goes like this: You have representation of the needs of the "commoners" or "poor people". You have representation of the needs of the "Nobles" or "rich people", and the Monarch was there for both and of course, himself... and cast the deciding vote. This was a system of checks and balances. The nobles would, of course, vote in thier own best interest and the commoners would vote in THIER best interest.... and the monarch voted in the best interests of the country itself. In theory.

The President, then, cannot be elected by the common people OR the nobles, as he'll sway in either direction instead of being impartial. THIS is the reason the electoral collage was created.

Now... why does it not work the way it should? Because we are now allowed to vote for our senators and presidents.

*ahem* and that's the end of my lecture.

*gets off the podium*

[edited 'cause people vote for peers not pears]

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: Jubilicious ]

--------------------
'Your spirit will always be the light that guides me... that guides me forever...' - Whispers

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps