Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » PIC 2x03 "Assimilation" ($$$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: PIC 2x03 "Assimilation" ($$$)
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And yet it can.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To copy Trek Culture's... Seven appearing in front of a child and asking if she's a superhero and 7's wink was a total win.

First Contact showed Enterprise crewmen being turned into drones in seconds. The scene had that omnious line from the queen, "You've impressed me." So she linked her mind but no nanoprobes for assimulation?

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Confeds probably drained her of probes.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though it begs the question whether that is a) actually possible, and b) would be fatal to the host. We don’t know much about how the Collective works but nanoprobes seem to be pretty central to it all. Even ex-drones often retain Borg structures (which could easily include nanoprobes, however inert or non-replicating) - it’s essentially stated in ep 1 that Picard’s golem body no longer has any of these, suggesting that up until he “died” he did.

So I’m not sure anyone could do that, and certainly not the Confederation whose medical technology is lacking by unaltered-timeline present-day Federation standards.

It reminds me of a discarded plot point that was going to feature at the end of 28 Days Later, in which Cillian Murphy would get infected with the Rage virus but Naomie Harris would save him with a full blood swap. That was abandoned when it was pointed out it wasn’t really possible and wouldn’t work anyway.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Member # 343

I'd say maybe they removed her nanoprobe glands & irradiated the rest, but everyone knows nanoprobes are stored in the tiddy.

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the connecting cable wasn't capable of nanoprobe transfer.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Hobbes
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only other thing I can think of might sound dumb... One of two options, the Queen can't make drones. Only drones can make drones to copy on information to follow the Queen. Two... the Queen's nanoprobes will only create a new Queen to pass on the knowledge and experience if something happens to a current Queen.

In other words, nanoprobes carry over information to make a copy of copy from the source they came from.

This Queen is impressed by Jurati. The fan theory that we didn't see a face in the season 2 opener is because she didn't want to be recognized feels less like theory. Jurati becomes the new Queen to save her friends.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Hobbes
Member # 138

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Maybe the connecting cable wasn't capable of nanoprobe transfer.

Nothing more annoying than trying to assimilate someone with a lightning cable and they only take USB-C.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps