Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » DSC 4x07 "...But to Connect" ($$$)

Author Topic: DSC 4x07 "...But to Connect" ($$$)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another episode that I quite enjoyed. I don't know about anybody else, but I've found Season 4 to be such a winning streak so far that I'm rather disappointed the show is taking a break while Prodigy returns.

Half the episode is focused on Zora. Zora determines the coordinates of Species 10C, but refuses to give them out of fear for the crew's safety. We get some really good back-and-forth between Zora, Kovich, Saru, Stamets, Culber, Adira, and Gray about whether or not Zora has achieved full sapience and whether or not she can be trusted. In the end, Kovich determines Zora is a true lifeform, and Stamets suggests actually having Zora formally join Starfleet so she is part of the chain of command. Zora reciprocates the trust by giving the coordinates.

The other half of the episode is focused on the politics of what to do over the DMA. Rillak and Burnham are pushing for peaceful overtures towards Species 10C, while Book and Tarka want to focus on destroying the DMA. We get Tarka's real reason for his cooperation: He wants the DMA's power source to leave the Prime universe altogether. Both Book and Burnham give passionate pleas to the delegates, and the vote ultimately goes to making peaceful first contact. Tarka grabs the new next-gen spore drive, and he and Book leave to destroy the DMA on their own. Side note: Book's ship using the spore drive looked nifty.

Gray is leaving for Trill, and will maintain a long-distance relationship with Adira. This is the one thing about this episode I have some reservation about. It seems like the writers just don't know what to do with Gray now that he has a body, so they're just writing him out.

I am all aboard the Saru/T'Rina ship. [Big Grin]

And I spotted Nhan in the preview for the second half of the season! About time!

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were doing so well, then they fucked it.

So Asshole Scientist Guy is basically another Soran (and do you think they’ll be able to restrain themselves from mentioning him and the Nexus? Of course they won’t). Wah wah wah, the universe is so MEAN, I want to go to another that’s all rainbows and puppies. And seriously trash the property prices in a large chunk of this galaxy but hey, alternate universe omelette, prime universe eggs, you know?

And then to have Book go along with it? I sure hope he’s being actively played, because it’s the only explanation for what feels like a complete binning of what the character was all about. Why played? “Aww, you were a slave like me, you’ve lost your family, hey, here’s an idea - why don’t you help me blow some shit up so I can go to Fluffy Bunny Universe on the offchance my boyfriend is there?”

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really fucking hate when the writers start copying my work. If I find out they based concepts for the Zora plot on my JoAT article (which I've since mined for inclusion in my work), I'm gonna be real pissed.

Agreed on Tarka & Book. It's like Edgelords Gone Wild.

Saru/T'Rina made me squee! They're so cute!

I forget if anyone else here watches Letterkenny, but the butterfly dude is the same guy who plays Jim Dickens on that show, & every time I hear him speak I keep waiting for the auctioneering to start. Another Discokenny connection is that Zora holographic avatar in "Calypso" was played by Sash Striga–she's Aly on Letterkenny.

I am not liking this new thing of "some episodes of a show, then some of another, then back, then a new show". It destroys the flow.

I see SM-G is now listed as a producer. So many producers!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't help but be a bit amused at Tarka's plan to leave for another universe. Sorry mate but as we saw with Mirror Georgiou and that guy from the Kelvin Universe last season, universe swapping can have the side effect of causing a severe case of death...and not the curable kind of death like Spock or Culber had! You may be in for a bit of a bad future if you do manage to swap universes.
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zipacna:
Couldn't help but be a bit amused at Tarka's plan to leave for another universe. Sorry mate but as we saw with Mirror Georgiou and that guy from the Kelvin Universe last season, universe swapping can have the side effect of causing a severe case of death...and not the curable kind of death like Spock or Culber had! You may be in for a bit of a bad future if you do manage to swap universes.

Universe-hopping isn't enough to cause that. Universe-hopping + time-hopping is.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps