Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Endgame Question (Could Contain Spoilers!) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Endgame Question (Could Contain Spoilers!)
nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After watching Endgame for the first time there is one bit in it that i am confused with.

Near the end of the show Voyager is onits way home and being pursued by a borg ship. They say the nearest exit leads to the delta quadrant. The next thing i know Voyager is back in the Alpha quadrant within the borg sphere. Could someone explain to me how this happened?

--------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having just seen the ep last night on Sky, I was wondering that too. I almost wonder whether they did end the show with them returning to the DQ because they had no choice (hence all that stuff about it not being about the destination, but the journey itself), and then changed it to a more upbeat ending.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was clearly the fault of the writers, or rather, the editors if this wasn't clear from the episode. Two explanations seem possible:

1) When Janeway ordered Paris to stand by for maneuvers, we were supposed to think that she had decided to once again sacrifice the chance of getting home - she would take that side exit and save the ship. But perhaps she simply did a little illegal U-turn on that exit ramp and ended up being behind the Borg sphere?

2) Or, considering that during the final Starfleet-Borg battle we apparently saw an inside view of the sphere, perhaps Janeway in fact ordered the Voyager to fly INTO the sphere, through that prominent opening we saw on the Borg ship's "bow" a moment earlier? The Voyager would then have been freed as the sphere exploded from around her.

I have no idea what the writers originally intended to happen, but clearly the execution of the scenes was sloppy.

Timo Saloniemi

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When i first saw the episode I thought Voyager somehow managed to get the stealth technology to work (from admiral janeway's shuttle). Using the technology they might have been able to fly into the Borg sphere undetected. The only problem is that the Borg possess this technolgy and should be able to detect Voyager.

--------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm on board with the second option up above...We were meant to think that Janeway was about to order the ship off into the side corridor that did in fact lead back to the Delta Quadrant. However, as it turns out, she was just asking for information. They never took that corridor. It appeared to me that she simply let the Borg ship over take them, got swallowed up, and rode the rest of the way inside the Borg ship. Then...kab-lewy!!!
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was simply done for dramatic effect.

As a matter of fact, I think it would have worked better if, despite future Janeway's good intentions (read: callous disregard for disrupting the timeline for personal reasons), Voyager still ended up in the Delta Quadrant, perhaps even back where they started from. Imagine the scene:

Janeway: "Where does the nearest corridor lead?"
Paris, Tuvok, or Kim: "Back to the Delta Quadrant."
Next scene: Voyager exiting a conduit into the orbit of a planet.
Janeway: "Where are we? What planet is that?"
Tuvok: "Sensors & galactic maps read...the Ocampa homeworld..."

Everyone stares at the two Janeways. Then both Janeways stare at each other with an "oh shit, we just fucked up big time" look on their faces, as the scene fades to black.

Oh yeah. Now that's good storytelling.

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post 
The producers would never do that, because every series must have a "happy" ending. That is that. Besides, if that happened, I'd mutiny whether or not I'm loyal to Starfleet and send Janeway out the nearset airlock.

--------------------
Meh

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Events As I Remember/Interpreted Them:

Borg Sphere chases Voyager to destroy it, preventing it from returning to the Alpha Quadrant.

Paris finds route back to the Delta Quadrant, which they must take for *mumble* reason. Crew prepares to do the brave and noble thing.

Borg Sphere, finding its weapons still not quite up to the task of blowing up Voyager in time, thinks to itself: "Vell, Ms. Janevay. Ve have vays of making you stop."

Borg Sphere swallows Voyager.

Collective disrupted by galaxy's largest Denial of Service attack.

Borg Sphere coasts to the end of the Alpha Quadrant conduit.

Voyager blows its way out.

Rejoicing.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second Timo on this. This scene was a giant clusterfuck of direction, editting, and scripting. This one part of "Endgame" had me puzzled for a while.

This is how I have come to interpret the scene. Admiral Janeway gives the Borg a big Denial of Service attack (as Sol System so eloquently puts it). As the Admiral and the Borg Queen trade their baseball cards, Voyager is in the transwarp conduit. In a nearby conduit, a Borg sphere manages to hotwire a better antenna using a calculator, duct tape, and some chicken vindoloo. That sphere manages to get the Queen's instructions: get that damn ship!

So, we're in the conduit headed to Earth. The Sphere is closing in on Voyager and attacking her. Janeway knows that Voyager can't take much more, she decides that she's going to head them out of the Sphere's path and (unfortunately) back to the Delta Quadrant. At this time, however, the Sphere opens her assimilation bay doors and shallows Voyager. Insert oral sex joke here.

Instead of reversing course or whatnot, the Sphere decides to go on through and exit the conduit near Earth. She's likely planning on them high-tailing it back to the Delta Quadrant, assimilating Voyager and her crew on the way. However, the Sphere encounters the fleet of starships and Voyager manages to fire off one more torpedo -- destroying the Sphere.

Once Voyager was trapped inside the Sphere, the crew obviously projected that the Sphere had not changed course and was still headed to the Alpha Quadrant. Thus, once the Sphere is back in normal space, Paris's reply is that they ended up right where they expected: near Earth. They managed to fire that torpedo at that moment to escape the Sphere and fly to safety of her Starfleet brethren.

A lot of the confusion would have been erased had they actually showed Voyager getting shallowed and the crew talking about the predicament. Instead, the director and editor opted to build tension and suspense. Their efforts backfired as this was really just a confusing jumble of images that prompts, "What the hell?"

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

nx001a
Member # 291

I was wondering has any one read the novelisation of endgame? What does the novel say about this scene?

--------------------

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post 
The book is true to the episode. I actually got Voyager nostalgia *sniff*

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best explination I can think of is that the navigational computer was running Windows 98.

quote:
That Noriega thing, good. Berlin Wall thing, good. Dan Quayle, still gaining acceptance. Tax increase, BAD! BAD!- Dana Carvey as George Bush on Saturday Night Live, late 80's or early 90's.

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Voyager hitched a ride with the Borg Sphere...
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought they used some of that fancy future mojo to get in the sphere.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
Imagine the scene:

Janeway: "Where does the nearest corridor lead?"
Paris, Tuvok, or Kim: "Back to the Delta Quadrant."
Next scene: Voyager exiting a conduit into the orbit of a planet.
Janeway: "Where are we? What planet is that?"
Tuvok: "Sensors & galactic maps read...the Ocampa homeworld..."

Everyone stares at the two Janeways. Then both Janeways stare at each other with an "oh shit, we just fucked up big time" look on their faces, as the scene fades to black.

Oh yeah. Now that's good storytelling.

I think that that would have been beautiful and a real change from the normal "happy ending" senario that Star Trek series' suffer from. It would also have made for a great start to a possible Voyager Motion Picture. Still, they got home and that's that. No more Voyager for us and certainly no Voyager movie . . .

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps