Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Changeling Disease ($$$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Changeling Disease ($$$$)
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming whatever spoilers come true, we have these facts: that Section 31 created the Changeling's Disease, and secondly, Odo has it too. Which means that there has to be a point in time when Odo and the Changelings were together so that the disease would be transmitted throughout the Great Link.

Here is what I think has happened.........

Soon after discovery of the new Threat, and reports from Commander Sisko (at the time, season 3 or so), Section 31 mobilizes into action. Around the same time, Section 31 has obtained a baby Changeling (probably more), one of the many scouts sent out by the Great Link. Whatever the case, these baby Changelings were used as guinea pigs to test the disease.

Once the project was finished, the only obstacle was how to infect the entire Great Link. At that same time, reports come in that the Tal Shiar and the Obsidian Order were ambushed at the Changeling's home near the Omarion Nebula. This creates the second problem, S31 no longer knew the new location of the Great Link. So they decide to try Odo. S31 speculates that Odo might defect from the Feds and join up with the Great Link. One of its operatives secretly infects Odo (could have happened at any time between the Rom/Card attack and the Trial).

Odo becomes sick, but it is not the result of the virus. In fact it has been activated by the Great Link. This forces Odo to return home and stand trial. Odo merges with the Great Link, and the disease is transmitted.

One possible flaw: why did Odo not come up with the disease before the others did? There are many possible answers: a time-delayed virus (hey, genetic engineering might achieve this); the differences of environment between the Great Link and DS9, etc. etc. Whatever it was, it was a perfectly crafted virus.

Comments appreciated. And perhaps some other possible scenarios too.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post 
More likely, s31 might have had an agent on DS9 waiting for jusr such an opportunity to infect Odo - and since they seem to have taken a special interest in Dr. Bashir, they'd be watching him too and even if Odo's illness was kept secret, they'd know about it from their observations of Bashir.

So, seeing him to be ill and maybe finding out about the plans to return him to the Link, the agent infected him hoping that if the virus did activate prematurely, it'd be concealed by his other symptoms.

Why didn't it show before? Well, who knows what being made human and then getting his true nature restored by the infant changeling might have done? Maybe, in fact, that's why the infant died - too weak to resist the illness which it still got from Odo even though he couldn't shapeshift!

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm under the impression that it's the founders on this end of the wormhole that are infected....

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't the Female shapeshifter say that the entire Great Link has it?

------------------
Except Temptation

Tachy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
There's always a disease hidden somewhere to end the plot-inducing plasma anoomaly...

------------------
The Ultimate forum :
http://forums.scifi-art.com
Make your own DS9 Spoilers !!

[This message was edited by Tachy on April 10, 1999.]

IP: Logged
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What if the s31 agent on DS9 was Garak? Let's see, easy access to Bashir,a known liar with a shady past... he might have been with s31 as a double agent right back to his days with the Obsidian Order. And how about his little incident in "Broken Link"? Huh? Huh?

------------------
"......"
�������������-The Breen at Internment Camp 371

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melikes, Tom.

------------------
"Audaces fortuna juvat."
"Fortune favours the bold."

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aye, Tom has a crafty mind!

------------------
Wheeelersburg Correctional Facility
Inmate #05301999

Saltah'na
Member # 33

Other possibility: Between the time when the Dominion head to Cardassia and the Wormhole was mined by Sisko, the Dominion may have had free reign going to and from the Alpha Quadrant. Perhaps a changeling was infected at that time, infected the AQ changelings, then went back to the Gamma Quadrant to (mistakenly) infect the rest of the Great Link.

Odo could have received the disease from the Female Changeling by linking with her.

Problems: The window of opportunity to find a changeling and infect him/her is very small. And considering the effectiveness and efficiency of Dominion security (cue Garak's friends getting killed within a day of talking to him), getting a spy down there could be very difficult.

Re: Garak as spy- Hmmm..... never thought of that. The possibilities are endless..... and the plot thickens too.

------------------
Except Temptation

[This message was edited by Tahna Los on April 11, 1999.]

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha-ha! Garak? A spy?
Surely not!

------------------
"Is there anyone there with a gun?"
- On the Hour

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*L*

*Garak speak* Surely not... Of course...

------------------
"Audaces fortuna juvat."
"Fortune favours the bold."

Saltah'na
Member # 33

Recent spoilers have O'Brien and Bashir working on a cure. I bet that S31 will do anything to stop them, but fail. Bashir will probably come up with a cure, either through his genetically engineered knowledge, or from the secret S31 files on the disease.

Bottom line: the Changelings may survive, but it may not spell the end of the war.

------------------
Except Temptation

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could the antidote be used as a bargaining chip for the dismantling of the dominion?

Or could Odo agree to rejoin the link, thus curing them, in exchange for the dominon surrender?
She did say that there was nothing more important than Odo returning to them....

------------------
An unborn scream burst in my stomach,
and spread like cold mercury through my chest.
I covered my face with my hands, but kept looking through my fingers.
"Write that down!", he told the stick.
"Is visibly destroyed, yet unable to turn away".

- Blue Jam

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The key to all this is Quark...secret head of Ferengi intelligence, and Grand Nagus Anon *L*

*Gets pulled back into reality*
However, if Garak is the cause of the disease would this not also mean that he's rather higher up in the Cardassian Govt than suspected?

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grand Nagus Anon?

Now, we all know who the real threat to the Alpha Quadrant is...

Morn. Think about it. He's filthy stinking rich. He could go out, hire an armada, and beat the snot out of everyone.

------------------
Garak: Interesting. You saved the day by destroying the world.
Bashir: I bet they didn't teach you that in the Obsidian Order.

-Deep Space Nine, "Our Man Bashir."

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps