Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Of the 5 Trek TV shows,what are your favorite two and why ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Of the 5 Trek TV shows,what are your favorite two and why ?
CM
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of the 5 Trek series made so far, (the original series, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise), which are your two personal favorite ones and please say why they are.
IP: Logged
Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TOS, because, as hokey as it is looking back now, without it we wouldn't have had the others.

Enterprise, because it shows how new interstellar life was for humans, and updates the tech without making it look overpowered by TOS standards.

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You had to clarify what the 5 were?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TAS would be six.....

TOS, the original is this case is among the best....

TNG, I really enjoyed most of the eps.

I also liked the concept of VOY, and DS9 would come in as third, leaving VOY and ENT as a tied 4th.

ENT would be better ha they not 'updated' the equipment..... It just doesn't seem to sit right...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DS9 ranks as my favorite, followed by ENT.

TNG IMO has a lot of boring stories while at least the 3rd season of ENT is rarely boring, and the character's are far more interesting too. Haven't seen enough of VOY for an opinion. TOS is good but uneven.

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMHO, Voyager and Enterprise both lack something I can't really describe. They just don't have character. Especially Voyager with it's sterile hospital look. Enterprise is better, but they haven't found a real balance yet, IMO. The naive exploring was too soft, but this war might be a bit too harsh. And Archer's fluctuating morals really irk me.

I'd like to say TOS is one of the best, but I haven't seen most of it. I've only seen season one and barely half of season 2, and that was a few years ago.

DS9 was my favorite (yeah I know.. cliche). I'm currently watching the DVD boxes front-to-back (haven't done that with TNG), but I've had a hard time getting into Season 4. Perhaps introducing Worf and the Klingons was one of the few mistakes of DS9.

Later season TNG was good too. Possibly the best crew of any series. But the first seasons in particular have aged noticably. It really shows they were still finding their way.

So, uhm, DS9-TNG-ENT-VOY for me. TOS will be judged when it finally comes out on R2 DVD later this year.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While "which one is your favorite" topics annoy me, I'll just throw in this: The only reason Voyager is on the bottom of my list is because it had such promising beginings and unlimited potential. And they did very little with it.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are many good shows and many cool shows, but in my experience the really fine ones are the ones that can make you cry, at least once.

TNG did it, in the episode where Picard lives a whole life in his dreams, after an ancient probe had made contact with him.
Picard mourning his "wife's" death struggle and that flute play in the end gets me every time.

Voyager also made me misty once, in the episode where the Doctor meets a race that has a museum dedicated to the terrible crimes of the once-visiting ship USS Voyager.
At last the camera pans out and we hear that the doctor really had helped the people keep their illusion of an "evil" Voyager, so that their two population-groups might make peace, than had promptly left to find Earth on his own. It was just so damn nice, I couldn't help it.

DS9 of course had "What You Leave Behind", that was a great sorrow as well.

I think even Babylon 5 had a really good drama episode, something with Mollari I think. Some sacrifice or something. Very subtle, tasteful. Hmm.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...something with Mollari I think. Some sacrifice or something."

Well, that's B5 in two sentences. B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate Star Trek.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

StarCruiser
Member # 979

- posted      Profile for StarCruiser         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Star Trek" first, then probably DS9 with TNG coming in close. Enterprise and Voyager just don't cut the mustard...
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TNG. That show actually defined Science Fiction. Top notch cast with very good episodes, especially in seasons 5-7.

Next up is DS9. A nice change of pace with a decent crew and a kickass ship and station. With good episodes to boot. I just watched Duet on the local TV station here, I just remembered how good that episode was.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:

TNG. That show actually defined Science Fiction. Top notch cast with very good episodes, especially in seasons 5-7.

Did you mean to say, "that show actually defined modern science fiction television," or are you just on crack? Hugo Gernsbach may have a claim to defining science fiction. Maybe Jules Verne. But nobody on this side of WWII, that's for sure.

Marian

PS: My money's on Gernsback. He didn't invent science fiction (although he did invent the term), but he did more to define it, and earlier, than anyone else I can think of. And he is also the (inadvertant) godfather of science fiction fandom, although some might consider that a wash, all things considered. [Smile]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DS9. "Emissary" was my official introduction to the Star Trek universe.

TNG. Fuelled my passion for Star Trek.

These two shows had heart, originality, good stories, good sci-fi, great drama, brilliant characters and allowed you to escape yourself for a while.

VOY was good but it just fell short, Enterprise is Getting Better and TOS is BRILLIANT but I feel distant from it - it would come a close third.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And good episodes includes season 7? I know "Parallels" and "The Pegasus" were good, but apart from that? Seasons 4 and 3 beat it.

And why are we listing our two top Trek shows? Why not three? Or one?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps