Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Treaty of Algeron Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Treaty of Algeron Question
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know of the status of the treaty after the Dominion War. Does it still hold up or can the Feds make cloaking devices.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Treaty of Algeron was between The Federation and the Romulan Empire. The treaty signed after the Dominion War was one of surrender between the Dominion and the allied Alpha Quadrant forces, the Klingons, Romulans, and the Federation. I can't imagine it would addressed anything in the Treaty of Algeron. And since no episodes or movies have been produced since the close of the war that have dealt with the issue, no, nobody knows. Except the elves. The elves know everything.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The elves know everything.
Yes, yes they do and thats why I curse them every chance I get.

Anyways...What I meant to say was that considering the Feds and Rommies fought together during the war (and won), you'd think the Romulans wouldn't be so steamed if the saw the federation develop a cloaking device. Besides, doesn't the treaty say the federation can't develope a Romulan style cloaking device, what about a klingon style cloaking device or a stealth device made by some other aliens?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The treaty says the Federation can't develop cloaking technology. Something they've already quite obviously violated (see "Insurrection").

As for the Romulans being less steamed about it... Section 31 is already preparing for a conflict with the Romulans. I'm sure Romulan intelligence has equally cozy thoughts about the Federation.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For every year the Federation abstains from cloaking technology, the Romulan forehead must grow by 5 millimeters untill there is a peace treaty between the two powers or untill the Romulans have Talosian-sized heads.

This notion of "head growing" originates with a biline in the original Federation/Klingon peace treaty that the Organians enforced.
The lead Orgainain had brought up the entire "head growing" issue as a lighthearted joke to ease tensions on all sides, but the Klingon represenetive -having had far too much to drink- considered it a challenge to his honor and accepted on behalf of all klingons everywhere

To this day, that klingon is known as K'rell- the Dumbass.

...and now you know the rest of the backstory.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Member # 1490

- posted      Profile for Grand Admiral Thrawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The treaty was only thought up to explain the fact that Star Trek would be shit if everyone had cloaks, as all races would simply go about their business and never encounter each other. As Rodenberry said 'Our people are scientists and explorers, they don't need to go sneaking around'
Likewise the Dominion and the Cardassians have no cloak and indeed the Klingons only have them because in Star Trek III the backstory had Commander Kruge stealing a Romulan bird of prey, this connection was dropped and the bird of prey (and cloak) became Klingon. The huge battle scenes in DS9 would be far less interesting if they were all invisable.

Sisco "How many ships?"
O'Brien "I don't know, they're all cloaked"
Sisco "Great, tell the fleet to engage cloak and set course for the station"

--------------------
The disappearance of Donald Love

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That and the Dominion during the war already had technology to detect cloaked vessels. I'm sure the Romulans didn't accidentally let that info fall to Dominion hands during the signing of the non-aggression treaty...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well at the time of STIII, I bet that the Klingons weren't on friendly terms with the Romulans, or even before that. Could it be quite possible that the Klingons "stole" the technology from the Romulans?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er...how do you know the Klingons and Romulans were not pals back then?

Nothing specifies either way.

Cloaking technology does not seem to be a Romulan-only device- the Breen (as well as that race with their holo-cloak from Ent) have their own versin of it.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Member # 1490

- posted      Profile for Grand Admiral Thrawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Romulans seem to have reached a degree of reproachment in Kirk's era, as demonstrated by the pressence of their ambassador at top secret military planning sessions in star trek six where he states 'mister president, there will never be a better time' it seems unlikely that the president would commit his forces to battle at the urgings of an alien agitator, rather than the ambassador was offering the star empires forces in any invasion of Klingon space.

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how the hell can you make that assumption?

I'm beginning to think you need get off the oxygen tank, son, and go outside and breath some fresh air.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? It sounds reasonable.
But if that would be the case and the romulan(s) would stand ready to do battle with the klingons together with Starfleet, how could Chang willingly work together with a group like Cartwright and this romulan, when those two would do all in their might to screw Chang and his people over later, when the treaty had flown out the window?

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nanclus swings both sides of the fence, you say?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's an interesting question. I'd say the Romulan goal, in that situation, just happened to match up with the goals of the other conspirators. Not war so much as a stop to peace, or a certain kind of peace. The Romulans don't have much to gain if two of their on-again off-again enemies team up. (I think it's too bad we didn't see anyone try to use this to get the Romulans into the Dominion War later, from either side. Sure, you guys can sit this out if you want, but afterwards its likely ((not assured, by any means; see: The Cold War)) that the UFP and the Klingons will be a lot closer than they were before, and where will that leave you? ((With the idea being that they could either join the Dominion to ensure that both sides are destroyed, or at least defeated, or they could join the allies against the Dominion to ensure that they aren't left out of the new world order, as it were.)))
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Member # 1490

The origin of the Romulan disstrust of the Federation is a strange one, its so central to their civilisation that a map of the Neutral Zone even decorates the floor of their senate. Their hatred for the Klingons is understandable, N'Ral's family were killed in probably one of many Klingon raids, its hard to imagine the Federation ever carried out attcks on Romulan space, and that the Romulan fear of them stems all the way back to the Earth-Romulan war. Or maybe its not the Human elements of the Federation the fear but the Vulcans and what they represent?

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps