Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Ships of the Line 2006 Wall Calendar (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Ships of the Line 2006 Wall Calendar
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be sure, they took off the saucer, the neck, the secondary hull, the pylons and the engines...

I hear they did reuse two of the screws by which the saucer was attached to the neck, though. Those, and the lower left button in the science console (the yellow one).

(Yeah, the TMP saucer was bigger than the TOS one, according to one interpretation. Because we never got exact canonical measurements for either ship, though, it is also eminently possible that the TOS saucer was larger than the TMP one. Or the exact same diameter. It still wouldn't have been the exact same shape, though.)

Timo Saloniemi

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I remember correctly, an early draft of TMP had the Enterprise seperating her saucer at the end of the movie.

There are some pic's of the concept drawings floating around the ether which show the saucer detaching from the secondary hull. There is damage to the secondary hull, reminicent of the beating she takes in TWOK.

Think of the beauty shot we get at the start of 'The Search for Spock' without a saucer.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the TMP saucer was the same size as the TOS one then the rest of the ship would have been smaller. Which is wrong, I think.

Aren't there lines etched onto the interconnecting dorsal showing where the ship would seperate if it did so?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A last-minute addition by Probert, a curvaceous shape mimicking the fins at the ends of the warp nacelles, seems to dominate the top of the neck. Just below it is a horizontal line where the color of the neck changes a bit, at least in the CGI version. This is the most likely separation line, leaving about one deck's worth of the neck attached to the saucer. There's also a small triangular bit at the forward edge of that line, a latch of sorts that is supposed to slide down during separation as shown in those Probert storyboards for TMP separation.

Of course, we never saw how the ship would really separate: perhaps the "true" separation line lies where the model itself was cut, which would be along the curved upper surface of that late-minute-addition shape.

Also, if the TMP saucer was just 127.1 meters wide like the TOS one reputedly is, rather than 141.7 m, the rest of the ship would indeed be smaller. But since it is larger than the TOS remainder to begin with, this might not be so wrong after all...

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ginger Beacon:
If I remember correctly, an early draft of TMP had the Enterprise seperating her saucer at the end of the movie.

That was never in the script- it was just something the storyboard artist proposed.
The whole sequence is in the Art of Star Trek book.
The seperation sequence looked cool enough but the reason was lame as hell.
The idea was that those klingons that got fried at the movie's start would be re-constituted, attack the Enterprise (why?) nad the mighty saucer section detaches from the damaged secondary hull to kick klingon ass.

Ug.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a CGI version of the Enterprise-refit?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the revised version of The Motion Picture.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

There was a revised version of The Motion Picture?

(I kid. With great hilarity. I really should pick that up one of these days. Are there Super Nerdy Sites out there listing what was different/so very very wrong is makes people who wear glasses angry about the CGI Enterprise?)

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

From what I hear, the CGI was so spot on that it took all the fun out of that particular game.

The presence or absence of engine glow or deflector glow at given moments of the film is debated, I think, but that's pretty much that. Okay, and perhaps the pearlescent effect of the physical model was not completely faithfully reproduced in the CGI. But perhaps it's just for the better.

I seem to remember hearing this very model was featured in some older calendars?

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Is there a comparison site, like those for "Trials and tribble-ations", or the Star Wars Special Editions?

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't we have some threads doing just that at the time?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
There was a revised version of The Motion Picture?

(I kid. With great hilarity. I really should pick that up one of these days. Are there Super Nerdy Sites out there listing what was different/so very very wrong is makes people who wear glasses angry about the CGI Enterprise?)

Mabye I'll send it to you for Christmas.
I think I've watched the director's cut all of once.

...fuck, I've seen Nemesis more than that!
Even the awful deleted scenes with Commander McFly and the GO Go Gadget Seatbelt.

The only real error I noticed the the much-harped-on view from the officer's lounge showing the nacelle(s).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

And even that depends on where the =fficers' Lounge really is.

If it's on the saucer aft rim (the windows we mistook for the Recreation Deck), then the nacelle is slightly off. If it's some other vertical window elsewhere on the saucer rim, then it's probably shuttered most of the time since we can't see it from the outside. If it's embedded within the facility aft of bridge, or elsewhere "indoors", then it's a viewscreen rather than a window, and can show any feature at any angle.

Personally, I support the idea that the Rec Deck is aft of the bridge, with plenty of synthetic-view screens, and the group of windows in the saucer aft starboard quarter includes the Officers' Lounge...

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

If the two rows of rectangular windows on the saucer's aft starboard side is the Officer's Lounge, what is on the other side?
I always thought that it was odd to have the standard portholes on the port side.

Throws off (sorta) the visual balance of the design.

Mabye the rectangular windows are to a VIP suite or some specialty environmntal quarters.

The windows/viewscreen in the room Kirk and NcCoy talk to Spock in seem to be the same shape and size as the lounge behind the bridge (B deck?).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, here is the low-down on the alleged TMP gaffe...

This is how the windows were designed and assigned on the model by Probert.

This is what the Rec Deck set and window views looked like in the film.

This is what the "Officer's Lounge" miniature set and window views looked like in the film.

This is what the set and window views of the room where Kirk and McCoy had their chat with Spock looked like in the film. The nacelles were added in the DE.

As you can see, while the script stipulated the last scene to take place in the OL, it was the Rec Deck set (or something very similar) and window views that were used. Therefore, it seems to me that the conversation actually took place in one of the alcoves on the aft upper walkway of the Rec Deck and not in the OL. While the script said "OFFICER'S LOUNGE," that set was only a miniature and thus could not be shot with actors. When they did the DE, they placed a "camera" inside the upper Rec Deck windows of the CGI model and determined the nacelle views from there. This is confirmed by Okuda in the text commentary on the DVD.

So, not really a gaffe, although a departure from the script. And it calls into question the logic of why the officers went all the way down to the Rec Deck instead of the (much closer to the bridge) Lounge. But since the set couldn't possibly depict the OL in the first place, the fault really lies in the original version.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps