Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » 15 Years Ago - Wolf 359 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: 15 Years Ago - Wolf 359
The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Enterprise went to warp from a standstill right after the shuttle crash-landed in ST5...

"Varp speed NOW..."

--------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."
Kosh: "Good."

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But they weren't at a standstill really, were they? Standard orbit - controlled freefall around a planet's gravity well.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we're going to get technical, there's really no such thing as a standstill, anyway.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well with impulse and thrusters at 0% then, mom.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But what difference does that make?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because cinematography-FX in Trek always has supplied the illusion that if you shut off your engines in Trek you stand still, like Kirk and Kruge did.
Many ships also turn and bank in spite of momentum, turning on the 2d plane, like a bumper car.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But they dont slow down with their engines powered off- not impulse anyway.
Possesed Picard even lectures Riker on it in season one (something about conserving power by coasting).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the point is, trying to determine whether ships lose or retain momentum when dropping out of warp isn't gonna be solved by looking at whether ships gain momentum (or not) when entering it!

Warp speed /= normal speed, because there are no relativistic effects. There isn't even any time dilation from internal or external POVs when entering normal space, it's always appeared pretty instantaneous. But given the sheer speeds involved at warp, if even a fraction of these velocities can be carried over to normal space then relativistic effects would apply.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

One FX shot that's alwats bothered me - the Excelsior chasing the Enterprise out of spacedock in ST3. When the Transwarp computer fails because of Scotty's sabotage, the ship visibly slows down to a near-standstil (realtive to Spacedock). But the ship obviously wasn't at warp; was it at Transwarp? If at impulse it'd have retained the motion, and I'm sure Scotty specifically says he removed components from the transwarp computer. . .

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the ship lost all locomotive power at that moment and he proximity to Earth's gravity well stopped it... If we had seen more, it probably would have started moving backwards.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back into Spacedock? Or down? Because the Excelsior is already travelling at an orbital velocity and I see no reason why losing transwarp drive would change that.

My problem, originally, was simply this: You can't say that ramming at warp is a perfectly logical tactic because nobody knows enough about how warp drive "really" works to say what would happen.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay Sol!

So in conclusion -

1: we don't know what would happen if you rammed a ship (or anything) at warp speed.

2: the guys who do the SFX shots in trek don't remember to take physics into account when they go for the money shot.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On seccond thoughts though - when you think about it, the amount of fuel required to move the ship using what is essentialty a fusion reactor is quite high.

(anybody know how to work out how much you'd need to move, say, the excelcior to full impulse from being docked?)

I'm guessing that it's plausable that the impulse drive uses another device to alter the laws of physics (such as the subspace device on the Ambasadors impusle drive), which went off line with the warp/transwarp drive, reducing the speed of the excelcior. Perhaps.

Or refer to point 2 in my previous post.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
One FX shot that's alwats bothered me - the Excelsior chasing the Enterprise out of spacedock in ST3. When the Transwarp computer fails because of Scotty's sabotage, the ship visibly slows down to a near-standstil (realtive to Spacedock). But the ship obviously wasn't at warp; was it at Transwarp? If at impulse it'd have retained the motion, and I'm sure Scotty specifically says he removed components from the transwarp computer. . .

It slowed down because Scotty had temporarily transferred his own huge mass to the Excelsior via pre-arranged transporter beaming.
The Excelsior's impulse engines were suddenly overloaded and the ship stalled- it comes to a stop as Spacedock's automatic tractor beams held the disabled ship in position (installed after some engineer saw an aincent movie called "RTOJ" and decided that a collision could be embarassing).

Later, (STV) Scotty cleary had regained all his Neutronium-level mass and the Excelsior is a speedy ship (as it should be without STIII's awful slapstick moment and engine-knock sound effects).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ginger's pretty close to what I think is the mark. I think this was hammered out pretty well in the Treknology section some time ago. The Ambassador was the first class to incorporate separate subspace driver coils into the impulse engine assembly. Prior to that, ships used the mass-reducing effects of low-powered subspace fields from the warp engines. So when the Excelsior's warp drive conked out, her apparant mass returned to normal, and her momentum wasn't sufficient yet to shift that bulk at more than a few metres per second. That may have been what inspired them to do what they did with the Ambassador...

As for other matters, in TNG times "full impulse" is limited to .25c for preactical reasons. This is not the functional top sublight speed of starships. If you pull out all the stops, you can run up to .99c if you feel like it, but will later have to compensate for relativistic effects. And a ship moving at nearly 300,000 kilometres per second is gonna do a lot of damage to whatever it runs into. Think cosmic rays, but about several billion times more massive.

At warp, things become even more interesting. If simple impact is what happens, then the ship essentially becomes a giant tachyon. If the subspace bubble somehow prevents physical interaction with sublight objects (which I can't imagine it would), then drop out of warp inside the target. Ick. Alternately, one could use the outlawed phasing cloak to similar effect.Or just pummel a Borg ship until its subspace field collapses (or at least becomes compromised) and have everybody start beaming antimatter inside.

Getting back to realistic tactics, photon (and presumably quantum) torpedoes have warp sustainer engines. Do a warp 9.975 run-up in an Intrepid, drop a passel of torps, veer off, and watch them plow into the Cube at several thousand times light-speed. Hell, even some warp-capable probes would do nicely, due just to velocity and the antimatter they carry to power their microwarp engines.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps