Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » 15 Years Ago - Wolf 359 (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: 15 Years Ago - Wolf 359
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Combining the Excelsior stalling thing with the ENT backstage technobabble, I'd say that ships from the pre-Ambassador era manipulated their inertia with a combo of the warp engines and the blue glowing "field stabilizer" thingamabob that appears on basically all pre-ENT, ENT and TFS designs (although not on the TOS era ones).

Post-Ambassador designs would move the blue doohickey into the impulse engines themselves, and make it independent of externally created warp fields. This would come at an extra cost: why install dedicated subspace coils for the impulse drive if warp coils already exist for the trick? Thus, only the biggest of the modern ships would rely on this tech, while something like the Defiant shuttlecraft would still use the cheaper alternative.

TOS era ships might have tried another expensive alternate method, which was abandoned by the time of TMP.

Whether the different types of starship would have different ramming properties... It probably depends on whether "integrated" and "warp field tapping" inertia manipulation effects collapse differently when the ship flattens itself against the Cube.

As for maximum impulse speed and related ramming energy, I don't think either 0.25c or 0.99c would be a relevant figure when a starship rams a Cube from a relative standstill across a range of just a few hundred or at most thousand klicks. Even at ten thousand gees, ten times the supposed Ambassador performance, it'd take about an hour to accelerate to 0.99c if Einstein was asleep, and the better part of a working day if General Relativity was vigilant. Assuming my math isn't too badly affected by my lack of sleep and concentration.

Still, something must be negating the inertia of starships or torpedoes if they can't dent the Cube with kinetic energy alone. We can always argue that shields deflect/absorb/turn-into-sperm-whales-and-petunias kinetic energy better than they do phaser energy or photon torpedo explosive energy, though. Perhaps even the fastest and most massive bullet can't deliver the correct type of joules to the target, and thus won't make the desired dent.

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's interesting that there's a discussion of warp-ramming in a thread started by BOBW part 2 and no-one has mentioned that Riker apparently plans to do just that at the end of said episode.

(Okay, you could technically argue that he wanted warp "power", rather than warp "speed". But that seems to be stretching things.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought he just said "ramming speed", later repeated by Worf in FC...
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regardless, they were at a dead stop relative to the cube AND being held by a tractor beam. They may have tried warp acceleration to ram it and shake off the beam, but I think that Riker would have been just as happy trying to explode that close and cause some damage.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He ordered The Boy to set a collision course and to prepare to go to warp on his order. I don't think they were being held by a tractor beam at the time either. The cube was in Earth orbit and the Enterprise was in pursuit... but I don't remember tham being in a tractor beam at that point.

I think Worf on the Defiant just said, "Prepare for ramming speed!!!" After which he was informed dat his ship be aw broke. Shortly afterwards, the Borg cube tried to lock a tractor beam on the ship, but was denied the opportunity by the Enterprise E

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, a tractor beam was most certainly on the E-D at the time. When Data sent over the "sleep" command, I quite clearly rembember the VFX shot of the tractor and cutting beams disengaging at different times.

As for the Defiant, Work just barely utters his command before Helm Boy reports another starship coming in. It's the Enterprise! Cut to the exterior VFX of the Borg tractor starting to lock on before photon torpedoes from the E-E destroy the emission point, followed by the new ship sailing by.

Mark <-- good memory of cool VFX shots

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Borg were trying to lock on a tractor beam at that point, but I don't know if they had succeeded. There was a definite countdown of some kind going on though (possibly the shields beginning to fail) that caused Riker to tell Data that they couldn't hold on any longer.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right... I think the Borg were *trying* to lock on... but hadn't yet. And, yes, thinking back, the reason they had to hurry was because they were under attack, not because Earth was about to be attacked.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was just on Spike TV today. The Borg had them in a tractor beam, and their cutting beam was about to reach Main Engineering. That was the countdown. Riker ordered Wes to set a collision course, and called down to Engineering to tell Geordi to stand by to go to warp power.

Got to dig the graveyard scene all over again...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's some info and thoughts on warp ramming that I composed back in July '05:

http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWwarpram.html

Might provide more fodder for the discussion.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit of necrothread casting but (AND I KNOW i asked about this long ago, just don't recall when) where are the filming miniatures for BOBW now? who has them? Is the Kyushu still hanging from threads in a office somewhere?

is it even possible to find out?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the exceptions of the Ambassador and Nebula, none of the BOBW ships were sold at auction- none of the kitbashes went.
None of the DS9 bashes either except the Yeager.

I was hoping hor good reference shots for some of those ships but they're probably in storage- awaiting Mike Okuda's retierment aution. [Wink]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Vorlon:
The Enterprise went to warp from a standstill right after the shuttle crash-landed in ST5...

"Varp speed NOW..."

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier... it was all a dream sequence. A collective dream of Kirk, Spock and McCoy, brought about due to Spock's imbibment of McCoy's "special ingredient" in the beans and possibly the eating of "Marshmelons", Spock cast a mild telepathic field across the three of them and they shared a collective dream.

I don't know which of them were responsible for the naked Uhura fan-dance, though.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
With the exceptions of the Ambassador and Nebula, none of the BOBW ships were sold at auction- none of the kitbashes went.
None of the DS9 bashes either except the Yeager.

The Nebula wasn't sold, all the new photos of it are from the touring exhibition.

You could say the Saratoga was sold, though, since the Reliant model went.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I don't know which of them were responsible for the naked Uhura fan-dance, though.

First, was, not were, and second Kirk. Has to have been Kirk.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps