Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The $poiler-$trewn $tar Trek Movie Rumour Di$cu$$ion Thread (Did I mention $poiler$?) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  36  37  38   
Author Topic: The $poiler-$trewn $tar Trek Movie Rumour Di$cu$$ion Thread (Did I mention $poiler$?)
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
Well the NX-01 and NX-02 where constructed in space. I wonder what made them go back to building on land.

ASSEMBLED & finished in space. doesn't mean that the construction was -started- in space.

*casts SCI FI knowledge Munchin Two on random SCI-FI's and convinces them to look at Galaxy Class specs for information about components manufactured on Mars's surface facilities prior to assembly in space....*

i think...

doesn't matter, the RESET button has been spammed by Paramount more than a Thai whore on WOW on nickel night, ladies....

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think something like the Enterprise could be built on a planetary surface, not without massive antigravity infrastructure anyway. And sure, the UFP could swing that, but why would they if they had totally mastered orbital construction? Less time, fewer resources, fewer issues with getting the thing built and operational before one of the antigrav struts fail and the saucer comes snapping off at the neck because the SIF hasn't been installed yet... Plus, there might be ecological concerns; flooding the Earth's atmosphere with chemicals or something. (I know some people think it'd be just as 'bad' to pollute space, but I respond with "why the hell? It's empty...")
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought this was mentioned in your first link, Lee? (Yet I can't be bothered to check, ha ha!) But, yeah, it seems weirdly lame, only not for any reason that seems meaningful to me.

[Useless data point: I think The Lost Years has the Enterprise's saucer being refit on the ground.]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flag Full of Stars, but yes.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, welding? It seems a bit ordinary to me. Didn't someone point out in that BSG ep where they built the steath Viper that even today modern jet fighters aren't welded. . ?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There used to be photoshopped images of the Enterprise (and Voyager) being constructed ON Earth at what appeared to be a shipyard. I can't find the images now though.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Logically, construction on the surface would allow higher numbers of people quicker and easier access to the ship, instead of having to send them up and down in shuttles 24/7 ("Biff, did you leave your hypowrench lying on that chair in the eastern hemisphere again?").

Lee: It would look like a welding torch to us, but it's actually a "chromatic molecule harmonizer" and the sparks coming from it is simply thetans freed from the ship.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you're saying it's an isowelder?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
So you're saying it's was Professor Plum in the Library with an isowelder?

[Big Grin] Frn'enchNim! *Casts Snuggle Ninja kittens on Nim before he can commment as the soft uber combine atttack of hundreds of cuddle kittens smites all with smiles and wonders of... of sh*t. who'a gonna FEED these kittens?*

the major portions probably were assembled in orbit, jsut the work STARTED on earth. you know, the stuff actually -sensitive- to vaccum exposure otherwise?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
And, welding? It seems a bit ordinary to me. Didn't someone point out in that BSG ep where they built the steath Viper that even today modern jet fighters aren't welded. . ?

I'm guessing I'm the one that said that, since I design aircraft structure. And you're right, they don't weld them, it's mostly hardware like rivets & bolts.

BUT... large ships like destroyers and aircraft carriers *do* have welded structure. It's all really dependent on your materials & structural requirements.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AOL/Moviefone has released an authentic image of the new Enterprise, and here she is in all her full-size (1828x778) glory! [Eek!]

Got the link from this article.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very clearly the original 1701, but with paneling and lettering looking more like the refit... hmm.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...I don't know. Judging from those nacelles it looks like that Re-imagined Enterprise from Sci-Fi meshes. In any case, I do believe I see a work bee or two in that shot.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And by the way, it's not welding.. it's gamma-welding!

Okay.. we have an image of the new Enterprise.

Let's see:

- Constructed on the ground, which is fun. I have no particular problems with this idea. It's a pretty far-out high tech way to build a ship, but it looks more comfortable (for the crews) than building it in orbit. I'm sure they are perfectly capable of both kinds of construction. And it gives some impressive imagery like this, which shows off the size very dramatically.

- Those art-deco 'Bussard collectors', or at least the insides of the cool spinny things, look very good. It reminds me of the 'jet engine' like explanation Franz Joseph gave to warp drive.

- The letters, they be wrong! Meh.

- The rest of the nacelles look a bit strange to me at this point. Very organic, almost Batman-style.

- Ooh, it has visible phaser turrets a la TMP.

Now, I still don't know why they didnt just fully GO for a proper reboot. It obviously is at least a visual reboot, but by claiming they are 'not rebooting' they are needlessly pleasing the people that don't want ANY change. I've always been of the opinion that the only way forward for modern Trek is do clean up their continuity mess, and just start fresh. It looks like they might be secretly doing that here, and I really hope it works out.

It's not like they've touched the original 1960s Enterprise in any way by doing this. I mean.. all that is still there, including the fandom universe built around it. But I fear that many Star Trek forums will be full with crying Trekkies these coming weeks. I don't envy trying to make a movie for such a harsh, conservative audience.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thing is between the time set for this movie and the events seen in 'The Cage' - the ship could have been refit to look like it does in TOS. As long as the basics are there - it shouldn't matter too much.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  36  37  38   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps