Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The $poiler-$trewn $tar Trek Movie Rumour Di$cu$$ion Thread (Did I mention $poiler$?) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  36  37  38   
Author Topic: The $poiler-$trewn $tar Trek Movie Rumour Di$cu$$ion Thread (Did I mention $poiler$?)
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Visible Phaser turrets? Where?
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right above the dash, it looks like.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like bolts to me, considering there are two more bumps below the dash. Kinda looks like the surface of the TMP Enterprise.
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spinners!!!!

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gamma welding was supposed to be joining the metals on a molecular level, wasn't it? Like, turning two pieces of metal into one piece by bonding the molecules along the sides? I like the idea of phase transition bonding...

Anyway, I think it's been made pretty clear that in the Star Trek universe, commuting to work in orbit wouldn't be anything more complicated than taking the metro into town is to us. Beam, shuttle, whatever...nobody thinks twice about it.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ft7WILemLU&feature=related

That's Koerner's.

I concur on the point about the nacelles looking Koernerish . . . there definitely seems to be a line of structure going from the top of the nacelle 1/3rd to midway back and down to beneath the Bussard collector, with extra humpiness above that line, much as happened on GK's. Note also the circle at the very front of the collector. And also the 'walkway' inset along the side of the nacelle (visible on the starboard nacelle of the movie pic with lights running down it, though it may be too low to be the same thing). It may be that the nacelle isn't missing her forward endcaps at all, but that they're transparent like on GK's.

As for the lettering, grrrdammit. I was always annoyed when I'd see people put the numbers on the flat part, and now they're going to think they were justified. And where's my TOS lettering? ST:ENT, ST9 . . . it's like none of these guys can find the old font. Grr.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they really can't. I mean, did they have 'fonts' in those days? They still called them typefaces, I think, and I've always wondered exactly how they got lettering to look so uniform without printing it, or how they got it superimposed over the film...I mean, where did the letters come from? Did they, what's it called, lithograph? the writing onto the film, or ... what? I know nothing about film-making except from the digital side of things..
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're using something close to the original font on the official website, which just makes it all the more strange that they've switched to Jeffries Extended, or whichever that is now.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I mean, did they have 'fonts' in those days? They still called them typefaces, I think..."

My understanding is that, technically, a typeface is a particular set of similarly-designed characters, while a font is a specific combination of typeface, size, style, etc.

That is, Times New Roman is a typeface. 12-point italicized Times New Roman is a font. These days, no-one draws the distinction, though.

And, regardless of which term you use, fonts/typefaces have been around for hundreds of years. Yes, they had them back in the dark, uncertain days of the 1960s.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

lol Well this is my point, I have absolutely *no* idea how that kind of thing worked prior to 1990 or so. I guess I'm lucky to even know about "movable type" printing.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been idly pondering how to include whatever prop weapons feature in this film on my site. Do I just put them as part of the (already crowded) TOS/2260's section? Or give it a whole new section of it's own? Or compromise and shunt all pre-TOS TOS stuff (ie the Cage/WNMHGB weapons) into a 2250 section, and include STXI stuff therein? (not knowing the date setting of the new movie might make this quite premature now, and even incorrect in the future)

Anyway, I was playing around with link icons. And one thing I notice is that the Starfleet arrowhead as featured in the teaser is wider than usual, certainly wider than the version in the original blue/gold teaser poster image. Now, I'm sure the height-to-width ratio of the arrowhead has varied widely over the past 40+ years but it might (or might not) be significant, in that the version as seen on the Cage/WNMHGB uniforms was very wide indeed. The teaser arrowhead isn't as wide as that, but it's still one of the wider versions I've seen.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Wasn't the arrowhead at this point just the Enterprise arrowhead, and not the Starfleet arrowhead?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. But it was still wider in the pilots than in the original series.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah the good old days of Letraset and Chartpak.....

Long, long ago....in a technology now far far away... there existed Letraset & Chartpak.

These were transparent sheets that contained multiple examples of each number, letter, and punctuation of a particular typeface. These examples were like a 'dry-ink' printed on the underside of the sheet. you placed the sheet on the object you wished to letter, aligned baselines, and used a burnishing tool to transfer the ink from the sheet to the surface. Naturally, you had to have multiple point sizes and a HUGE amount of storage to use multiple fonts and there was always the fact that you would almost invariably NOT have the right amount of a particular letter and have to use another sheet.

Ah....the.....well....not so good old days.

HERE is an example.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Is that anything like how they put text onto film?
  This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  36  37  38   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps