Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » I smite thee, my calculator!

Author Topic: I smite thee, my calculator!
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There, now that I've grabbed your attention with a seemingly nonsensical thread title, let me proceed.

Today, I was going using my parametric equations to make a really nice galactic map on Microsoft Excel. For the most part, it succeeded nicely.

Then, I noticed it. I'm not sure if it was a goof-up with the math or if I just wrote down the equation wrong somewhere along the way (it has been quite a while since I originally did this particular computation), but Romulan space is slightly off. And since I computed Klingon space based on that computation, its slightly out-of-whack also.

Now, being off at college, I'm cut off from the cartographical resources needed to fix this error for a few weeks. However, this has given me an opportunity to rethink the position of the Romulans and Klingons in the parametric equations...

All of the new, brash galactic cartographers ( ) arrange the major Alpha Quadrant powers somewhat differently that I have in the past, in that they place the Cardassians, Romulans, and Klingons in a nearly continuous arc around the "upper" Federation. I can see the merit in this. However, this doesn't really mesh with the more canon maps in the Star Trek Encyclopedia and the DS9TM, which seem to emphasize the Romulans and Klingons are on the opposite side of the UFP than the Cardassians.

Thus, I come to a crossroads. I came up with the position of the Romulans and Klingons through the twisted manipulation of the coordinates given in the extemely non-canon book "Worlds of the Federation" (The Klingon homeworld is "Kling" in it. ) Anyway, I did the Romulans first, then I fit the Klingons in-between the Federation and Romulans since they wouldn't fit in their WotF location. However... I could decide to go and recalculate their positions by doing the Klingons first, then the Romulans, which would create an Alpha Quadrant more like those pictured in these new maps.

Thus, I pose the question to you, the Forum-goers: Shall I go with the "Cardassians on one side of the Federation, Romulans & Klingons on the other side" argument, or should I go with the "Cardassian-Romulan-Klingon arc around the top of the Federation" train of thought?

------------------
"Captain! I must protest! I am NOT my neighbour's dog!"

- The First One, TrekSunday chat, Oct. 17, 1999.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we know that they're all about in the same place, don't we? DS9 is obviously none too far from Cardassia. The Klingons were given control of DS9 in "The Visitor", indicating that their empire isn't too far away. We know the Rommies have a border with the Klingons ala "Redemption". We also know that the Dominion could get to the Rommie NZ from Cardassian space, thus indicating that they have a border with each other. The only way this works is in 3-D space. Someone has to be on top of someone else.

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons; for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kinky.

But I have to take issue with the idea that nations have to share a common border to allow for travel between the two. As I understood it, the whole weight of the Jem'Hadar attacking from Romulan space rested on the idea that it was far away from where the majority of the fleet was. That is, away from the Cardassian border.

------------------
"Stirs a large iron pot. Casting a spell on Vermont."
--
John Linnell

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because the jemmies entered UFP space from rommie space - It doesn't mean the cardies and the rommies share a common boarder... they could have been spreading out through 'neutral' space a la the Klingons in TWOTW...

Remember the Romulan space is closer to Earth than Klingon Space...

see: Klingon and Romulan first contact situations (assuming the UESPA moved out from earth in a rough sphere.)

Klingons were about 100 years after the Romulans.

The Romulans had bases in the Rigel system - when Earth hadn't moved into space - in the alternate timeline in 'Past Tense'

Romulans and Earth to war with each other with low speed warp ships.

------------------
"Remove your hand or I will remove your arm!" - 7 of 9

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This corresponds with one of my latest thoughts that the Klingons might have conquered some Romulan space close to Earth some time after TOS but before STTWOK. Gamma Hydra must have been Klingon at that time (Kobayashi Maru simulation), and the star is located in the north east of Earth. On the other hand, this could be an argument to move Cardassia and the Klingon Empire even closer together than in Chris' recent chart. Further thinking about it...

------------------
"When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way."
A somewhat different Janeway in VOY: "Living Witness"
Ex Astris Scientia

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing to consider is that the Federation has to be given some sort of free passage "west", towards the real stars Deneb and Sheliak. So either Cardassia has to lie "north" of this path, or then above or below it. Which kinda makes one think if Cardassia shoudn't be portrayed as MARKEDLY smaller than the other players.

Cardassia is a "new kid on the block" when it comes to galactic conquest - it's practically next door to Bajor, yet failed to conquer it until the early 24th century. Cardassian ships are junk, their fleet no match to the Klingons, and they are absent from TOS
politics despite their apparent proximity to Earth.

I believe many problems faced by Trek cartographers would be removed if one assumes that Cardassia is a very small sphere that just happens to lie in a trategic spot close to the intersection of the UFP, Klingon and Romulan spheres. Placing it above or below galactic plane would further diminish early UFP interest in it.

The same goes for Ferengi space, for different reasons.
The Ferengi do not conquer volumes of space, so their home turf ought to be rather small even if it is ancient. Their trade routes towards the Federation could have been blocked by the tiny Cardassian sphere of influence, so that contact with them would come only in the aftermath of the first Cardassian-UFP war. Again, they should lie above or below the beaten path.

Timo Saloniemi

Timo Saloniemi

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps