Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » StarFleet Ranking Structure (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: StarFleet Ranking Structure
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I doubt Starfleet really changed NCO insignia between TNG and DS9. Well after O'Brien transitions to the chevrons-and-dots insignum in his duty uniform, his dress uniform continues to sport the 1/2 pip.

I think the 1/2 pip could be a ceremonial general NCO identifier, used when there are few NCOs around and there is little or no need to know their exact rate - say, a ceremony requiring a dress uniform, or a tour of duty aboard the Federation Flagship.

Timo Saloniemi

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"There is no rank in the USN with 3 stripes and a half, so there is no rank in Starfleet with 3 1/2 pips."

*awaits the inevitable argument due to this statement*

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the Encyclopedia 3 the 1/2 pip denotes a Chief Warrant Officer
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Starfleet's ranks do seem to follow the USN rather closely. It makes sense, too...that's a pretty good system.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I really want a flying pogo-stick." - Antag

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a list of ranks (not completely canon, I think):

Fleet Admiral
Admiral
Vice Admiral
Rear Admiral
Commodore
Fleet Captain
Captain
Commander
Lt. Commander
Lt.
Lt. Junior Grade
Ensign
CWO (or Cadet?)
Master CHief Petty Officer, Starfleet
Master Chief Petty Officer
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Crewman
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Recruit

and Provisional Officers, of course..

------------------
MS Windows Error 014: Unexplained error - Please tell us how this happened
---

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3.5 pips would fall between commander and captain. What rank could you put between those?

------------------
"They might be the infamous buzzard collectors for what we know, grabbing hapless space avians so that they don't end up as smears in the windshield."
-Timo Saloniemi, 16-Aug-2000

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "Where No One Has Gone Before", does anyone have an idea what the Travelor's companion, Mr. K-, pip meant? It was very strange. IIRC, the pip was black and white squares.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Belgium Navy has a rank with 3 1/2 stripes. It denotes Commander senior grade.

And what does Sloans rank pin (4 pips and 1 line) mean?

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited August 16, 2000).]

Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people think Sloan's might be a fleet captain rank or just a special rank for the department that he was supposedly with.

------------------
Fire the technobabble!

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's Kosinski's insignia:
http://frankg.dgne.com/sff/kosinski.jpg

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I really want a flying pogo-stick." - Antag

Amadeus
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont remember what Chief O'brian did to get Chief Petty Officer. Is that below and ensign? Yet an ensign can't order him around. Perhaps someone here could clarify that.

------------------
Creator of Project Phoenix
[email protected]

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A petty officer of any sort is below an ensign, yes, because it's a non-commissioned rank. However, O'Brien was the chief operations officer on DS9. This is why he couldn't be ordered around by any ensign who happened along. It was because of his position, not his rank.

------------------
"They might be the infamous buzzard collectors for what we know, grabbing hapless space avians so that they don't end up as smears in the windshield."
-Timo Saloniemi, 16-Aug-2000

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This also explains how Kim can order lieutennants around, being of a lower rank but a higher position. When LaForge was in command in "The Arsenal of Freedom", the chief engineer technically outranked him, but LaForge had the higher authority, due to the fact that he was temporarily in the command position.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Savar
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding O'Brien, his rank has been the topic of debate since the beginning. Way back when he was transporter chief on the Enterprise, he was a Lieutenant. If I am not mistaken, I believe I have seen him with two pips, one and a half, one pip, and even a single half pip at different times during the TNG run. I don't recall him ever being referred to by rank, only by the title "chief."

Concerning uniform colors, I can't discern a difference in color between the uniforms of Crusher and Troi, or Data and Worf. They appear to be the same, however the colors did become brighter when the uniform changed. The security/operations/engineering mustard drab became a brighter gold or tenne. The medical/science blue became a lighter teal. The command red didn't change as much but does appear to me to be a few shades brighter.

The references on the site I linked are purely conjectural. Most of them fit with what we've seen in the episodes. Some of it, however, does not. It's not "official." As far as I know, there are no gray uniforms for intelligence personnel (why would you want to advertise the fact that you are an agent?), and there are no Starfleet Marines, although the concept has been batted around for years. Only naval ranks have ever been used with ONE exception. Rene Auberjonois had a cameo in Undiscovered Country where he protrayed Starfleet Colonel West who was attempting to present plans for an attempt to rescue Kirk and McCoy. This was made even more difficult to reconcile because he was wearing a REAR ADMIRAL's pin on his uniform..... Still haven't figured THAT one out....

IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, isn't it obvious? Like the Tal'Shiar on Romulus, Starfleet Intelligence is the only military branch in Starfleet that uses army-style ranks as opposed to naval ones. So as to hide the fact that a SF Intelligence operative was going to brief the President, SFI dressed Colonel West as a regular Starfleet Rear Admiral, somebody who wouldn't arouse any interest in the Romulan and Klingon moles infesting the Presidential Palace...

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps