Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$POILER$$ New Frontier (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$POILER$$ New Frontier
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh mah gawd.. just read the second chapter of the new Peter David New Frontier novel, part of the Gateways crossover.. new crewmembers joining Shelby's crew...
Lt. M'Ress & Lt. Arex.. time displaced!!!!

AAAAAHHH!!!
what else can i say..
so happy.
*frothing at mouth*

[ December 09, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please do not put ridiculously long titles in threads. It's a real eyesore.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*thbbbbt*
anywho i still think is pretty damn cool

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*mumbles something to Tim about he not being the only one*

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, eh?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom wanted me to edit the thread title back when it was longer.
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drooool

I just love the TAS show, and also New Frontier, to combine that just gives me shivers down my spine....

Has anybody read the background stories on M�ress and Arex as given in the novels? They are great, M�ress apparently faced of Kzinti on their own warship, and Arex battled and disabled a Klingon ship, both officers in command after sneak attacks killed of the senior officers. You know, in fact, I think the backgrounds of these two officers are the only ones we know, with the obvious examples of the main characters. What do we know the careers of Uhura, Chekov, Scott and the others before the Enterprise mission?

[ October 10, 2001: Message edited by: pIn'a' Sov ]

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What reduced the enjoyment for me a bit was that the novelizations of TAS, as written by Alan Dean Foster, took exception to what was really shown on screen, and generally made it sound *worse* than the on-screen material. I think what he had on M'Ress was weirdly put (the chess references and all) but interesting. I missed the Arex bits, though.

I'm not completely extatic about letting PAD have his way with these two characters, since he usually tends to do humans better (or at least more multifaceted) than aliens. But there's no way I would skip the next NF books! And the Gateways certainly provide a simple and plausible vehicle for bringing in the TAS pair.

BTW, I think there's stuff on the TOS sidekick backgrounds in a number of novels, but the one titled "Kobayashi Maru" supposedly has the most. Others, like "Enterprise: The First Mission", have stuff on Sulu and Uhura at least, although there's little on Chekov.

The "young adult" books might have more, but I'm not gonna read those any time soon. Perhaps if ENT is cancelled, TNG movies discontinued, Duane and David and Carey all retire, and I get really desperate...

Timo Saloniemi

capped
Member # 709

We share the same three favorite Trek authors! yay.
David took a couple liberties with thier histories, not being familiar with the Lincoln Enterprises bios that we see most other places
'Na Eth' Arex is a Triaxian from Triax (not an Edoan from Edos), and 'Shiboline' M'Ress is a Caitian from Caitia (not Cait)
Gawd! The best part is when the Admiral is discussing Caitia's status in the Federation. It left the Federation shortly after M'Ress disappeared into the time portal. Then it wanted to come back in. Then it needed to be let back out again. Then it came back in.

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure "Triaxian" is an improvement over "Edoan" - I've had my fill of cutesy "descriptive" names like that. Vendorians for people who change their shape, Caitians for felines, Romulans for a race of honorable conquest warriors with "Cesar cuts" for wigs...

OTOH, perhaps this is an artifact of the Universal Translator, and the native names of the worlds and races are in no way related to the Federation designations?

Yeah, Caitians *could* be expected to require a cat door for their comings and goings... I wonder if PAD has a feline he can use as a model? He somehow doesn't sound the type.

Timo Saloniemi

capped
Member # 709

Another really wierd thing PAD has said is that M'Ress was trapped in a time portal when she was on a mission aboard the science vessel Einstein while on Ceti Alpha VI, but there was no way to investigate her disappearance because the planet destroyed itself soon afterwards

Huh?!

At first I thought David was referenceing the character of M'Yra from the second volume DC comic series (which is the best trek run ever, IMO) where David included M'Ress in the 1701-A crew as a continuation of her storylines from the previous series, which was cancelled by the licensing offcie because they felt there were too many supporting characters and it needed to be 'retooled' This was the same year Gene made most of his 'TAS wasnt canon' remarks, probably in reference to this, so Paramount made them pull the first issue, white out every instance of the word 'M'Ress' and replace it with 'M'Yra' and had all of the images of her colored purple and added horns and a pointy tail. They then ordered DC to remove all the supporting characters PAD had introduced in the first 9 issues, so M'Yra transferred to the Einstein.

If Peter was referencing that it would be a nice snub to the old licensing exclusion of TAS material, i.e.. 'that was really M'Ress in my mind, transferring to the Einstein'

But the timing of the Ceti Alpha VI explosion should have been during the five year mission, indicating M'Ress would have disappeared shorly after transferring off the 1701? But the Federation shouldnt have known about Ceti Alpha VI exploding? Because they were caught completely unawares by Khan in ST:II.
A time travel loophole seems to be imminent...
I wonder what he has planned for this... or if he even thought of any of this

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

Finally got my copy of the book. The Ceti Alpha VI thing does not seem to present a big problem: Starfleet was only said to have found out about the explosion at some point between the disappearance of M'Ress and the events of the book. Two possibilities are left open: the explosion destroyed the Einstein, leaving no witnesses, or (and this seems more like what PAD intended) there was a "time fuze" to the self-destruct system of the Gateway machinery, and the planet-shattering explosion took place after the departure of the Einstein and was only witnessed by Khan. Starfleet did not find out until ST2.

This still creates some problems. Chekov and Terrell were going to explore Ceti Alpha VI as a potential test site for Genesis. How could they do that if Starfleet knew there was a Gateway there? One would have to assume that SF Intel declared the planet top secret and silenced all witnesses, right after the accident of M'Ress. Not impossible.. but M'Ress did know about the Guardian, even though she wasn't actually seen ogling the device in "City on the Edge" or "Yesteryear". That sounds like a more important secret to keep.

Other nitpics: The Trident's registry (NCC-31347) is just plain silly for a Galaxy, or any TNG-era ship for that matter. Is it an in-joke of some sort? Donald Duck's car plus 47? (No, I didn't read "Restoration" - still waiting for the softcover.)

Calhoun whines about the cold at the end. This from a guy who likes to skinny-dip in space? Then again, perhaps the vacuum-cold did not quite register as cold, even though "Once Burned" makes it sound as if did.

More career silliness. Burgoyne becomes the second-in-command yet formally continues as the Chief Engineer? The XO=!1stO idiocy is perpetuated, too.

Nice to see ship phasers on stun again.

Holodecks do not have smells? I'd think that they would, post-Minuet.

Nice twists to the Gateway tale. PAD sows the floor so thick of red herrings that it's impossible not to slip at least once. Looking forward to reading more!

Timo Saloniemi

capped
Member # 709

I still think a handful of anomalous registries dont hurt the big picture.. ive gone into extreme detail in other thread on how an why this could be, but everyone seems to get a lot more incensed by the yamato and prometheus than i do. (You might be slightly unhappy at reading the new Excalibur's registry off the cover of the last book)

What bothered me is that both ships are Galaxy-class. There arent enough big, capable ships to use? I could understand the new Excalibur being a newer, larger vessel.. but i still think that Galaxy class should be fairly rare in the fleet.. the orginal run of 6-12 maintained. I wouldeven understand if after the dominion war, they maintained up to 24.. but sending all of them to one sector?

And Scotty was second officer and chief engineer at the same time, and ended up center seat quite often, so he must have had some delegation who would be taking care of his 'bairns' on those occasions. And Spock was science officer and first officer too....

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

Of course the rego for the Trident would be just fine if reversed. Perhaps Shelby's simply used to watching the letters on the bow from the vantage point of the bridge, and mentally flips 74313 the wrong way?

I can accept second officers pulling double duty, but it seems that Riker and Chakotay were completely dedicated to the XO role and had no secondary duties. Nor was Kira doubling as a security chief or science officer.

Given the existence of the XO position and the modern policy of NOT sending the top two officers on an away mission at the same time on a regular basis, the second officer would not have to take the center seat too often. But pulling the CEO away from his boilers every time the captain wants to take a nap or a leak? No thanks.

I don't have a huge problem with two Galaxies assigned to former Thallonian space. Starfleet might see a prospect of annexing the whole former empire at one big gulp, so this would be a priority assignment. And big and independent ships would better help solidify the UFP position than an "occupation force" of more numerous, smaller vessels scurrying about. Out of, say, a dozen Galaxies, one could certainly be spared. Out of possible postwar 20+, two doesn't seem objectionable (although PAD could just as easily have given Shelby a Nebula - he just doesn't know enough about starships to realize it would have been just as big as a Galaxy).

I do have a problem with Starfleet giving the command of the ships to the uncontrollable Calhoun and his at times wussy wife, though. Starfleet's not just troubleshooting here, it's trying to further its political interests in the region. So the ships should be controlled by somebody who puts Starfleet interests ahead of everything else at least most of the time, somebody like Picard. Or at least one of the ships should.

Timo Saloniemi

capped
Member # 709

Putting NF stuff here since we subjugated Bernd's diversity thread:

Yes, the Trident makes a lot more sense as an Ambassador.. I'd be glad to accept that one.

PAD's best gaffe explanation though, was when he had Captain Ariel Taggert in command of the Repulse in 'Vendetta,' without realizing that Captain Taggert had been shown as a man in 'Unnatural Selection' He wrote a scene in 'Worf's First Adventure' where Captain Taggert explained that his daughter was a young officer who he hoped would take over his command someday. Bizarre but true!!

Well, i think that, as long as we are embracing the non-canon, it could be explained that the death penalty was lifted for the Dominion War.. the 'Telepathy War' depicted in Marvel's comics had Nog & Omega Squad helping to defend Talos from a Jem'Hadar invasion, and then facing execution but being pardoned. I'm not sure what exact reference was made to it in 'Once Burned' though, and i havent read the new one yet.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps