Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Friends, Romulans, Countrymen... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Friends, Romulans, Countrymen...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh... Well, Romulans, anyway. My question is: are Romulus and Remus planets or stars? They've basically been made out to be planets, but that one display from TOS (duplicated in the encyclopedia-2) suggests that they are much to far away from each other to be planets. Unless "Romii" was not meant to be the same as Remus (more on my Romii/Remus theory, if necessary).

------------------
"I ran into Charlie Fogg.
He blacked my eye, and he kicked my dog.
My dog turned to me, and he said,
'Let's head back to Tennessee, Jed.'"
-The Grateful Dead, "Tennessee Jed"

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that Romulus and Romii are star systems. The star system Romulus is capital to the Romulan Star Empire. Since Remus has been mentioned once, I have no understanding of Remus as either a planet, star, or something else.
IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Romulus is a planet. As for Remus, it's supposed to be Romulus' double, but I'm not sure if it has ever been explicitly stated as such.

------------------
"Gone savage for teenagers with automatic weapons and boundless love."
--
Soul Coughing

Trinculo
Ex-Member

If Romulus is a planet, then Romii (Remus) is a planet. The inference then is that the outposts are asteriods that lie in an asteriod belt. This might be the case. If I remember correctly, the Romulan ship had no warp capability. It had impulse capablity only. (Reference, Mr. Scotty). And in Star Trek: Insurrection, Admiral Doherty said the Romulans didn't have warp capability until a hundred years before (2375 minus 100 equals 2275). At which point, they stopped being Romulan thugs and developed a great empire. (The early 24th century war between the Federation and the Romulans and the battles with the Klingons of the same century may be the result of aggression by the Romulans.) I have always wondered what the Romulans got from the deal with the Klingons. Could the Romulans have gotten warp capability?
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember any mention of the Romulans in "Insurrection". When did he say that?

There are two possibilities for Romulus and Remus:

1. Romulus and Remus are planets in the same star system, and the Federation outposts and Neutral Zone are very close to this star system, so they can be reached by a warpless Romulan ship. Remus was either mislabeled "Romii" (improbable) or Romii is an alternative or early name that was later changed to Remus because it better suits Romulus. The Romulans didn't have warp drive at that time and got it as late as they obtained the first D-7 starships from the Klingons in 2267 or 2268.

2. Romulus and Remus are two star systems, and there are some light years in between them and to the outposts. This would require the Romulans did have warp capability at that time, and the Romulan BoP only couldn't use it because the cloaking consumed most of the energy. Another point is that the Neutral Zone still exists in the 24th century, and is now several light years wide and contains several class M planets. I doubt the Federation would abandon part of their territory close to Earth in favor of the NZ, so it seems more probable the size has not been changed.

------------------
"No, thanks. I've had enough. One more cup and I'll jump to warp." (Janeway, asked if she would like some coffee in "Once upon a Time")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recall someone suggesting Romii was actually "Rom-II"...

Not that I believe that.

------------------
"I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

- Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Trinculo
Ex-Member

Bernd:
Scene-Captain's Ready Room, USS Enterprise E
Sonai leader has walked out in angry. Adm. Doherty and Capt. Picard are discussing the relocation of the Baku. During the course of their conversation, Adm. Doherty mentions the Romulans.

The Neutral Zone is expanded under the Treaty of Algeron, following a war with the Romulans, early 24th Century.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reckon that Romulus and Remus (Romii) are both planets - and both are depicted in each claw of the 'bird' In the Romulan logo...

They are either two planets in the same system or two VERY close Star Systems...

------------------
"I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die, while you discuss this invasion in a committee" Queen Amidala - Star Wars: Episode 1, The Phantom Menace

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Romulus is most definitely a planet, at the least.

The display in the Encyclopedia is taken from the episode, IIRC, so I've always assumed them to be two separate star systems, with perhaps Remus as the planet in the Romii system.

------------------
Doctor: "Run along. I'll reattach any severed limbs. Just don't misplace them." (Voyager: "The Killing Game")

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC?

------------------
"You're a groovy baby...baby" - Austin Powers

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, IIRC stands for "If I Remember Correctly," unless I don't RC, in which case IIRC is "If I Recall Correctly."

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It means both. Or either one. Or one, then the other, then the first one again. Or it's all metaphysical and we'll never understand it. :-)

Anyway, if the RNZ is a light-year across, and that display is to scale, Romulus and Romii certainly seem to far apart to be planets. I think it is either a binary star system whose stars are relatively distant, or it is just two stars that are relatively close. If the stars themselves aren't called Romulus and Romii, then at least Romulus orbits one of them and Romii the other.

As for the Romii/Remus issue... I think "Romulus" is a very close rendition of the actual Romulan word for the planet. I think the closest transliteration of the other planet's name into English is "Romii". However, due to the myhtology of Romulus and Remus, and the fact that "Romii" and "Remus" aren't that different, Terrans took to calling it "Remus". And, since everything on Trek is translated into English for us the viewers, we hear it as Remus. "Romii", being the more "official" name, is what showed up on the computer read-out.

------------------
"I ran into Charlie Fogg.
He blacked my eye, and he kicked my dog.
My dog turned to me, and he said,
'Let's head back to Tennessee, Jed.'"
-The Grateful Dead, "Tennessee Jed"

Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Sunspot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, the Romulan home system is a binary one.

------------------
"You were right about the negotiations...they were short."
Obi-Wan Kenobi to QuiGon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, that lack of warp tecnology in Balance of Terror still makes no sense to me.

Was the entire battle taking place in the Romulus star system?

How come their plasma weapong could travel at warp (it caught up to the Enterprise) when they couldn't?

And why couldn't the Enterprise out run them?

For that matter, exactly what sort of threat WERE the Romulans without warp tecnology? It's take them YEARS just to reach the neighbouring star system. How would they resupply? Fed ships could warp in, blast them with photorps, warp out and rearm, and come back, with the Romulans having no opportunity to rearm or resupply.

------------------
"In my defence that bush is actually quite big"
-M the F

Trinculo
Ex-Member

According to the James Blish adaptation of the Balance of Terror, the Romulans came out of their solar system and were met by the Terrans. The Terrans had warp drive and were able to drive the Romulans back to their home system. The war ended with the creation of the Neutral Zone. (US vs. Serbia). As for the weapon, scientists in our own culture can make a photon go faster than the light barrier. The weapon, a plasma shot, is a tightly condensed ball of energy. I take this to mean the Romulans were capable of launching weapons at warp velocities but didn't have the technology to travel in ships at warp velocities.

In all this discussion, I have not seen a mention of the comet. This is a very important clue. Comets don't produce tails unless they are close to a sun. The sun's rays burn the ice into a gaseous form. That comet in the episode had a huge tail.

My vision of the home system of the Romulans-
The Romulans live on a planet named Romulus. A large satellite of Romulus, be it planet or moon,is called Remus (Romii). ("The Defector", a large terrestial body can be seen in the night sky.) In our solar system, Romulus could be at the point where Earth is. And the asteriod field of the Romulus System could lie between (in our solar system) Mars and Earth.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps