Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Delphic Expanse (Spoilers Through "Azati Prime!") (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Delphic Expanse (Spoilers Through "Azati Prime!")
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotten to wondering about the final fate of the Delphic Expanse after watching "Azati Prime."

This is apparantly the "correct" timeline:

1000 years ago: The Sphere-Builders arrive in our dimension. They leave behind the Spheres, collosal devices meant to reconfigure space to be suitable to them. The region of space, riddled with spatial anomalies, becomes known as the Delphic Expanse.

100 years ago: The war between the various Xindi species ends with the destruction of their homeworld. The Xindi Council is formed with the purpose of finding a new homeworld. They presumably succeed at some point before the 26th Century.

Near future: Captain Archer plays a pivotal role in the creation of the United Federation of Planets.

400 years into future: Reconfigured space is now 50,000 light-years across, and the Sphere-Builders invade. The Xindi, along with the rest of the galaxy, are saved by the Federation.

So in this timeline, the Delphic Expanse presumably exists up until the 26th Century, when (hopefully) the Spheres are destroyed, restoring space to normal.

However, in the current timeline, the Sphere-Builders from the 26th Century contact the Xindi from the 22nd Century. They convince the Xindi that humans will destroy the new homeworld they have yet to find. The Xindi construct a prototype weapon and unleash it on Earth. Future Guy, an as-of-yet-unknown entity from the 28th Century, lets Archer know the Xindi were responsible, and Enterprise enters the Delphic Expanse to stop the deployment of the final version of the weapon. Eventually, Daniels gives Archer information linking the Sphere-Builders to the Xindi.

Assuming that Earth is saved after all is said and done (and it almost has to be), what would become of the Delphic Expanse? Archer and his crew know what the Spheres will eventually do, so it would seem to make sense that they would attempt to destroy or deactivate them. However, doing so would radically alter the timeline according to Daniels.

That leads to the inevitable question of whether the Delphic Expanse exists in TOS, TNG, etc. On the one hand, the 22nd Century Expanse is 2000 light-years across and only gets bigger from there. It's filled with nasty anomalies. On the other hand, it might not be mentioned later if it's not a big deal later on. The Andorians didn't have anywhere near as many problems in the Expanse as Enterprise, so future Federation ships (presumably with human, Vulcan, Andorian, etc. tech) might have no problems worth mentioning onscreen. Add to that the fact that (aside from the pockets of reconfigured space) space looks pretty normal.

And I'm still trying to figure out Future Guy's role in all of this. He seems to have a vested interest in preserving Earth as is (all the way back to "Broken Bow"), and he somehow knew about the Xindi long before Daniels had a clue...

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

ubermetroid
Member # 729

- posted      Profile for ubermetroid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason Future guy told Archer whats up was because Future guys knows that Archer is needed to save everything, right?

--------------------
"That's the problem with nature. Something is always stinging you or oozing mucous on you. lets go watch tv." - Calvin & Hobbes

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help but feeling a sense of dread that most of the little threads be dropped when it comes to finally explaining FutureGuy and his role in everything. Such as, what does causing a Klingon Civil War have to do with any of this? That was apparently his intent in Broken Bow. And how do the Suliban play in?

I'm scared because the Temporal Cold War was thought up before the creators ever knew they were going to do anything with the Delphic Expanse or the Xindi. They're late additions to the plot that the writers now have to work in.

As to whether the Delphic Expanse exists in later decades and centuries... I guess that depends on whether or not Archer destroys it before the end of the series.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed... And I'm sorta hoping Archer does erase the silly thing.

Daniels' future does feature a "Federation", but that doesn't mean it would feature the TOS and TNG Federations. For all we know, Daniels and his cohorts have to be defeated to allow Kirk and Picard to be born, and Archer will be the one defeating them - perhaps with the help of the other temporal agents. None of these temporal players have demonstrated an openly anti-Federation or anti-Human agenda so far, after all! Just being anti-Daniels doesn't mean one would be anti-Kirk or anti-Picard.

'Course, the Sphere Builders are *very* unlikely allies for anybody who wants to create the Kirk-Picard future, and thus Archer probably will defeat them, thereby also erasing the Expanse...

Timo Saloniemi

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We obviously know now that Daniels is not from the same timeline as TOS, TNG, and the rest. An expanding void in space like the Expanse would be a known problem. So if Daniels sticks around at all, then the future is irrevocably changed from the one we've known about for so long.

This is exactly what B&B wanted, to recreate the Star Trek universe, and tada--- they have.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly, Archer and gang de-activate the Spheres and they remain a minor curisoity for hundreds of years untill an incursion by these extra dimensional bad-guys activates them en-masse and causes the expanse we saw during the battle as their means of entry into this dimension.

Or the spheres are somehow shunted forward in time 400 years....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

ubermetroid
Member # 729

- posted      Profile for ubermetroid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Possibly, Archer and gang de-activate the Spheres and they remain a minor curisoity for hundreds of years untill an incursion by these extra dimensional bad-guys activates them en-masse and causes the expanse we saw during the battle as their means of entry into this dimension.

And this is how the next Star Trek show will start... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"That's the problem with nature. Something is always stinging you or oozing mucous on you. lets go watch tv." - Calvin & Hobbes

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was under the impression that the Xindi had been convinced that the Federation was ultimately responsible for the destruction of their ORIGINAL homeworld, no? As such, if they destroy Earth and hunt down every last human (re: "Twilight"), then no humans will be around to found any sort of Federation...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In "The Expanse," Future Guy tells Archer that the Xindi are bent on destroying Earth because they had been told their homeworld would be destroyed in 400 years by humans.

In "The Xindi," Enterprise arrives at the coordinates given by the Xindi miner only to find that the Xindi homeworld had been destroyed 100 years prior. Confusion ensues.

In "The Shipment," Gralik explains that the original Xindi homeworld (along with a sixth Xindi species) was destroyed 100 years ago.

I think this is why the Xindi were selected by the Sphere-Builders to attack Earth. The Xindi are desperate not to have their home destroyed again, so they are the perfect dupes to give the "Humans Will Destroy You" speech to.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the "Xindi homeworld" that the Federation is supposed to be responsible for destroying is their second homeworld, the one that the Council is dedicated to establishing. That would make sense -- the Xindi discover thanks to the Sphere Builders that they WILL find a new homeworld, but that it will also be destroyed, this time by outsiders.

Personally, I'd rather they erase the whole damn series from existence in the finale. Have Archer wake up from a really weird dream and prepare to launch aboard the Dauntless NX-01, which is an ugly, bulbous monstrosity in the United Earth Space Probe Agency's fleet, and looks nothing like the series ship we've grown to know and love. How's THAT for a leap... er, that is... a reset button? [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should be beaten.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a wet noodle, though, 'cause that was funny.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think "Future Guy" - is outside all this - and something happened - that he didn't forseen when he started tampering with the 22nd century...

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If that's so, I'd guess that what he didn't forsee was the interference of the Xindi's future correspondent.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True... are they from the same time... because wouldn't that be the one thing a time interfererer [Smile] couldn't predict - the actions of people from his own time?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps