Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » WYSIWYG... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: WYSIWYG...
The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On tonight's ET Enterprise Preview, they showed what is apparently the new briefing room, complete with what looks like the good ol' Pool Table updated to display ship information. On the table, and the monitor behind it on the wall, there were what looked like the same top view image of the Pre-E as was published in TV guide.

Therefore, all you people saying that the design may yet be changed, looks like she's a done deal.

--------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."
Kosh: "Good."

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you see is what you get.....
But I don't want it....

I have peeped too much about it, but it does seem a wee bit advanced looking....

Then again, mayhap it is a stunt to hide the truth.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes lets all Put on the Blinders to what is obviously the true design.

Who here can say the Naboo Starfighter looks like it came earlier then the X-Wing.

You all seem to forget its 2001 not the 60s.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Obvious:

The whole idea of a prequel series IMHO is to create a retroactive feeling. If you want people to feel like this Ent series is taking place 100 years before TOS, then you should should make it look like it. It should look like something out of the sixties, or it won't be convincing as an 'old' series.

BTW, the Naboo fighter didn't come before the X-Wing. The X-Wing was a very old design by the time the Rebels got their hands on it.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you start talking about SW ships I'm going to lecture you all.
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post 
Now listen: I'm going to end all future discussions on Star Wars ships on this thread. The X-Wing was based on the design of the Z-95 Headhunter, which existed for a while before the Naboo fighter. Incom, the creator of the Z-95, was working on the X-Wing a few years before A New Hope. When the Rebels learned of this, they got Incom engineers to defect with their plans. Since the Rebellion did not exist until (at most) 10 years before ANH, the X-Wing could not have been developed until that time. While the Z-95 might have been around before the Naboo N-1 Starfighter, the X-Wing most DEFINITELY was not. So, Mr. Mim--your answer?

--------------------
Meh

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In that case I'll use my default argument.

The Naboo are master shipbuilders and they are an ancient and highly advanced race. Naturally, their ships would reflect this. In addition, they are a largely peaceful people who are rarely involved in conflict, and so the fighters in TPM were for all intensive purposes BRAND-SPANKING NEW. (Ergo the shiny-ness.) The X-Wings of the Alliance in ANH had been used much and maintained marginally, in keeping with the idea of an ill-equipped, ragtag bunch of REBELS!!! (a la the Maquis.)

Your comments, General?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

I sense a threat from another member to go take this in another thread. But anyway, ANH was 32 years after Episode I. Those X-Wings did not have 32 years of use on them. If they did, they would be broken down. And, if they were new, would incom still be making a 32 year design? Star Trek is a different galaxy, so Excelsiors, Oberths, and Mirandas are not part of this discussion.

--------------------
Meh

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Those X-Wings did not have 32 years of use on them. If they did, they would be broken down."

I disagree.

"And, if they were new, would incom still be making a 32 year design?"

Yes.

In conclusion, for a civilisation as old as the one in the SW galaxy, their industrial resources are likely to last much longer than those in modern times.

For further discussion, take this to the SW forum.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sticking with my rationalization: it's not 100 years BEFORE TOS, it's 100 years AFTER FIRST CONTACT.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Dr.O:
Perhaps the SW analogy wasn't such a great idea?

Mark:
FC is a small part of Trek.
TOS is a HUGE part of Trek.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's also almost 35 years old. If you want a show that looks 100 years older than TOS, you'll need to film it at the Edison Museum, in glorious Kinetovision!

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Sol System ]

Veers
You first
Member # 661

OK, no more Star Wars discussion.

--------------------
Meh

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Knowledge of SW Ships is limited , I just took what I assumed and put it in , so thanks for the history lesson

quote:
The whole idea of a prequel series IMHO is to create a retroactive feeling. If you want people to feel like this Ent series is taking place 100 years before TOS, then you should should make it look like it. It should look like something out of the sixties, or it won't be convincing as an 'old' series.

No , The whole Idea of a prequel series is to tell the story of what happened before TOS , how they tell it as in Set Design , Art , Ships etc is up to the producers. Making a show look like it belongs in teh sixties is not practicle , they are trying to attract NEW viewers and turn them away with bad set design, special effects and costumes?

To this day i cant watch TOS and not laugh when i see Spock's PADD device / huge clipboard.

Think about it , a Show about the Future with all the props looking like they belong in some 50s B movie.

Not to mention the fact they have said time and time again they want to attract new viewers who wouldnt exactly have to know the ins and outs of Trek to understand Enterprise , who would they do that when everything looking TOSish ?

I'm a trek fan and i probley wouldnt watch a show like that. I dont think i could hold in the laughter.

quote:
Mark:
FC is a small part of Trek.
TOS is a HUGE part of Trek

TOS is just that TOS , The producers want to leave that in the past , and I agree with them.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

If you want to leave it in the past then leave it in the past. Don't come up with a new show that's supposed to be older than it, but looks far newer.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps