Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Defense of Akiraprise (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Defense of Akiraprise
Yakaspat The Trekker
Member # 355

- posted      Profile for Yakaspat The Trekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After carefully reading and reading numerous posts about the dreadful nature of the new Enterprise, I decided to say this:

I actually like the new ship! So there! I grant you all that yes, the ship is very unoriginal. However, I think many fans are forgetting how very dated TOS is. Even our space shuttle, which is itself older than me, looks more advanced than the 1701. TOS, to me, is laughable (though enjoyable), and I wouldn't want to see a hokey flying space-can, either. The new ship is unoriginal, yes. It's a blatant rip-off of the Akira. And perhaps it isn't really even very fitting for the time period. But, rather than continue to kick sh*t about for the next seven years, I'm just gonna do what is expected of any fan of fiction...swollow the pill of Temporary Suspension of Disbelief. This is, afterall, a fantasy show, guys. I enjoy the new spinoffs for their Star Trek theme, the characters, the sci-fi quality, the visuals, and the drama. Consistency is important, true. But, as far as I can tell, the show *is* consistent with TNG, DS9, and VOY. It is *not* consistent with TOS. However, not even common sense is consistent with TOS! Computers that talk like they are mentally handicapped (no offense intended to those who are), that print out on what looks like adding-machince tape messages to the crew, rather than displaying the message on one of the many overhead computer screens on the bridge! Hokey "laser" guns, that silly phaser rifle, the bulky 1960's VW van-ish shuttlecraft, girls in mini-skirts, and planet after planet of styrofoam rocks?! So, if the new series takes some poetic license in an attempt to keep the new "old" series up to date, then so be it.

-Lance

The Trekker's Officer's Bible:
http://thetrekker.homestead.com

--------------------
TheTrekker's Officer's Bible: A Concise Review of the Starfleet
http://www.thetrekker.org

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is *not* consistent with TOS.

Yes, let's place Enterprise in an alternative timeline and we all will sleep better.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good post, Lance. I agree with you on some points and disagree with you on some points.

I agree with you that the Enterprise design is not all that original. It may possibly not be a design fitting for the 22nd century, but that an arguable point because the only ship design we know about for that period is the Daedalus class. One starship design of the many possible isn't all that good a representative sample.

But I must disagree that the new series is going to be inconsistent with TOS and that TOS looks hokey. The Original Series is 35 years old. It reflects the quality of set and prop design for that era. In another 20 years, we're going to start saying the same thing about The Next Generation. That what the realist part of says in regards to TOS. The part of me that suspends disbelief says that TOS shows a logical step in the advancement of technology. I mean, look at how so much of the ship was controlled by consoles with so few buttons. The computer voice and paper printers do not bug me at all. This is supposed to be the age of the paperless office and it isn't. I don't see a problem with Spock pulling off a hard copy of something from his scanner.

But no matter how much we argue the point, we must all accept that we will not be able to adequately judge Enterprise until it airs. The people who like it will continue to hold discussions on the vary aspects of each episode in the forums. The people who don't like it will either not watch it or watch it for the sole purpose of berating it.

But the main thing that we should remember is that Star Trek has been about people. People working together, living together, and growing together. That facet of the Trek universe has been evident to some extent in all of the series, and I believe that Enterprise will continue the tradition as well.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Needless to say, I'm with Lance and Siegfried.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly, and even if you do not like it, it will still be apart of Star Trek set in the same universe and timeline. Its the creators that deside this, not fans.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since when do miniskirts run contrary to common sense?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ever worn one Tim?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$$$
**SPOILER WARNING**
$$$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
**THERE IS NO DEFENSE FOR THE AKIRAPRISE**

That said, I like Spikey's idea.

[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um, Monkey, pulling the boy who cried wolf trick with spoiler warnings will not appreciated around here, especially when it isn't even funny.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
**THERE IS NO DEFENSE FOR THE AKIRAPRISE**

That said, I like Spikey's idea.

Broken record syndrome.

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* Yakaspat is right. How can we expect tech in Enterprise to look less sophisticated than tech in TOS when real life tech looks 100 times more advanced than what we see in TOS.
IP: Logged
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would not have a problem if they made the ship and tech in general more like babylon5--years ahead of us but years behind the tos days.

I already have set the TOS days into another reality since i almost never watched TOS

This show is for the new generation
old timers are being swept away along with Gene R.

There isn't really much of a defense.
We all know they chose the design cause Berman reportedly said he loved the akira look....so there we go....if he kills the show, then he kills it.....

A show serves the fan---not the other way around.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NOBODY IS BITCHING ABOUT THE BUTTONS AND SWITCHES

Sorry for the caps, but that point is starting to piss me off. It's not that the bridge doesn't look like heresy.

The bridge we cool wit yo. We be down with the switches and buttons and screens. But that outside shit ain't cool yo. It be the outside that get our shiznitz all up in the house.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A show serves the fan---not the other way around.

Oooh, grassroots democracy to determine how a show should look.

Ooooh, stupidity.

[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

quote:
The bridge we cool wit yo. We be down with the switches and buttons and screens. But that outside shit ain't cool yo. It be the outside that get our shiznitz all up in the house.

Exactly, Stingray. The main sticking point about Enterprise is the overall design of the ship. Some people hate it; other people like it. In the dozens of threads on the subject, both sides have made logical arguments for and against the design of the ship. I happen to be a part of the group that doesn't find a problem with it. Based on your post, you appear to be a part of the group that does find a problem with it (yes, no, maybe?)

The thing is, Enterprise is much more than just the ship. I personally enjoyed Star Trek: Voyager. But I dislike the Intrepid-class starship. The entire design I almost completely abhor. But that was only one aspect of the show; that one aspect was not enough to turn me off of Voyager. [Note: please no debates on Voyager. Let's keep this Enterprise thread on topic ]

Enterprise is going to be about much more than just the ship. It's going to be about the people on that ship; humanity's first real trip into the great unknown. It's going to be about the adventure and the growth and change that these people will experience because of those adventures.

And, before I get prompted, I am choosing to be completely optimistic about Enterprise until at least the end of the first season. At that time will I be able to adequately reflect on what I've seen and decide whether the series deserves my support or not. In the meantime, I'm saying that it does.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps