Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » endgame-spoiler:armor tech debate

Author Topic: endgame-spoiler:armor tech debate
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the hell is it?they still called it ablative armor.

how does it work?
is it replicated on activation or just springs up like a shield?

How did the borg manage to penatrate it, how can you adjust phaser frequency to go through metal? If it is metal.

And take into consideration that voyager had to "vanish" a part of the metal first before firing a torpedo.

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Defiant had ablative armor, I think the only difference was that the armor was integrated into the hull, while Voy's seems to deploy like the Batmobile's armor.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminds me more of "Viper" than the Batmobile...

------------------
"I got a personal grudge against that rabbit, Jim!"
- McCoy, "Shore Leave"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure that the Borg weren't firing "through" the armor, but rather the armor was dissipating under the fire. Voyager's shaking was because some of the energy or possibly part of the weapon beam itself were making it through -- AFTER the armor in a certain area had failed.

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The armor was probably a combination of enhanced hull materials and the SI used underneath the ship.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

crobato
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can check the meaning of ablative in the dictionary.

In the game Homeworld, the manual speaks of using an ablative effect or ablative layer in the armor of the hull in their ships.

It's really an ingenious low tech device, similar in principle to the reactive armor used in modern day tanks, and one that is easy to understand.

When a beam or kinetic weapons hits an ablative layer, the layer vaporizes instantly, not only absorbing the energy, but the vapors actually force the projectile outward of the secondary armor beneath. If it is a beam weapon, the vapors interferes with the beam or blocks it. This is what you call an ablative effect.

IP: Logged
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
crobato are you the same crobato that visits he armada board?

as for the armor--how does it keep regenerating itself???

the defiant's ablative armor gets painted back on every month or engagment or two.

[ May 27, 2001: Message edited by: TheF0rce ]

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps this sort of armor is replicated into place?

Janeway's shuttle had an emitter (Karath referred to a singular emitter that seemed pretty large for a shuttle). The emitter was able to replicate a layer of ablative armor around the shuttle. As the armor took damage, more could be replicated in the damaged area. Thus, you'd have regenerative ablative armor. Of course, this would be a massive power drain, but Janeway's shuttle was capable of Warp 6.

Now one Voyager, these armor emitter strips were installed all about the outer hull. Voyager would need more emitters since it is a lot larger than a shuttle. The armor was replicated into place and functioned the same as on the shuttle.

Also of note is the rapid degradation of the armor layer towards the end. This could be because of the huge power drain on the armor system (Voyager not really designed for it plus an enemy more powerful than Klingons). It could also be due to the emitters between the armor layer and the outer hull. The shuttle's emitter was inside the shuttle in the ceiling cavity and protected from shock and damage by the armor layer and the outer hull.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Replication sounds like the best way to go.
crobato
Ex-Member

Same one.

Ablative armor does not really regenerate. It vaporizes away gradually, and the vapors form a layer that interferes and dissipates any beam weapon. Ablative armor generally requires replacement.

If the armor is getting regenerated, then there must replicators to continually regenerate the armor. It sounds crazy but when you realize this, we do this all the time in games (regenerate armor). For me it really does not make so much sense since it's just better to regenerate shields instead.

Blackbird
Ex-Member

I'm wondering if it's some kind of "energy armor", you know, half-energy, half armor.

Hey, holodecks are energy, but they can produce matter like-qualities.

Sometimes matter exhibits energy like characteristics, and sometimes energy exhibits matter-like characteristics.

I know it's a bit far-fetched, but it did seem to go on like it was a force-field. And it would comply with the "singular-emitter" comment. After all, an emitter usually emits energy.

-Blackbird

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, replicated armor sounds logical to me. However what bothers me now is that Voyager when she blasted out of that Borg Sphere, she still had that armor on which means that when she docks at a Starfleet base her armor can be analyzed and duplicated on another ship. This would give Starfleet a HUGE tatcical advantage over everyone. If the Borg had trouble penetrating it and adapted to it later that means the less technically advanced races like the Romulans and the Klingons would take years to figure out a way to penetrate it.

By the way, how would the Borg adapt to physical armor like that unless it involved energy in some way to destabilize it?

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adapting to armor doesn't imply that they can simply shoot through it, like the shields. You "adapt" to armor by switching to a weapon that defeats it. Armor-piercing rounds or shaped charges, for real world examples.
bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the armor is an interesting idea as suppliment to regular shields, but I dislike the idea as it being a replacement.
Any thoughts?

--------------------
Access Password
47at
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps