Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » new hand phaser for nemesis? (Page 7)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: new hand phaser for nemesis?
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I don't remember being put under a microscope."

You were put under a microscope for being all like: "Hey I write novels! Har! Har!" when really you're all: "Hey I'm an unintelligible Asshat! Har Har!"

As far I know, authors need to be able to write.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liek ships
capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cap'tain Mik'eo:
I liek ships

I liek phasors to.
Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey, don't diss the Isomagnetic Thingy-majig. It's way bigger than a phaser, and does much less. The damn thing is the crowning achievement of dumb Starfleet engineering.
that, my friend, is my new signature.
IP: Logged
capped
Member # 709

BTW, my TV guide Star Trek 35 Anniv. Tribute has some Nemesis pics, showing Picard with the new grip topped phaser on his hip with the bridge exploding around him. doesnt look too radically different.

and it has my new quote in the article too...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has it occurred to anyone that no matter how "accurate" these new action figures are, it's still pretty difficult to judge how a new prop is going to be when the only decent image we have is from a plastic mock-up that is probably one-tenth of the real size?

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing the "Endgame" phaser being used, although I think it would make more sense to get more mileage out of the current FC-era hand phaser first. The FC phaser is my favorite -- it combines the usual functional grey style of Starfleet with a nice, sleek, curved handle that implies easy handling and something approaching ergonomic design. (I've never actually held a phaser-like prop, so I can't be sure, but it's probably a hell of a lot better than those old "dust-buster" props they had in TNG's first season.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for koy'peled Oy'tio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pink:
quote:
properly tis tyme 203 ore ltter no i'n novemer ...
What the HELL DOES THAT MEAN???????
In english (not gibberish as i was pointing out to The Eye) Means: Probably this time 2003, or maybe later on in november.

--------------------
"Explore New Worlds"

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Prismatic EdipisReks:
that, my friend, is my new signature.

ROFL, I'm honored.

As for phaser comfort, I've only held the later TNG era Type-2s. Not exactly the most brilliant weapon design I've ever come across, rather hard to aim with, and probably not good for your wrist in a prolonged fire fight. I can only imagine what the original dust buster Type-2s were like. But the FC Type-2s, with their curved handles, must have been much easier to use (and for the FX ppl to tell where the thing's pointed). I'd get one of those Playmate ones if I come across one for a responsible price.

I think the original Type-2 designers got ahead of themselves. Pistols are shaped the way they are instead of looking like remote controls for a reason.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain... Mike:
[QB]BTW, my TV guide Star Trek 35 Anniv. Tribute has some Nemesis pics, showing Picard with the new grip topped phaser on his hip with the bridge exploding around him. doesnt look too radically different.QB]

Gah! Scan, please?! I have a whole new page of my website to turn out, I need pics! 8)

As for the overall design, we have to remember that Roddenberry didn't want weapons that looked like guns. Over time the remote controls that resulted have been modified, as David T surmised, to make it easier for the actors to point in the direction the FX guys need. So now we reach what could be the last outing of the Star Trek that has anything to do with Gene, and they feel the need for a weapon redesign, what are they going to do? Give them large pistol-shaped blasters? Slight overtones of 'final nail in the coffin' or what?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, found it, though not an especially good one. Here, then, is what we have so far:

-

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Heeeerrrreee's Willlyyy!!!"
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gads, so it *IS* the Endgame phaser!

-

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
pretty ugly. the roundness makes it look like soap thats a little too well used.
IP: Logged
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind the shape, though I'd have preferred if they'd kept the squarish buttons. It now looks like the handle of a standup vacuum that someone's snapped off... Still, unlike its immediate predecessor it doesn't look as much like a *weapon*, per TNG-Roddenberry doctrine. Nor as flimsy, since the slim blocky look of the predecessor made it seem like two independent sections (the handle and firing chamber). If anything, this phaser is almost regressing to the round phasebuster look of the first two seasons!

And on a separate note - if they're switching to the Endgame phaser, one wonders if the counterpart tricorder will also make an appearance...

-

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

capped
Member # 709

its basically the FC phaser reiterated, a little more sleekly and shedding many of the TNG phaser design elements, like the top cover over the button recess. i could do without the oval buttons either.. they do seem to suggest a more alien technology than a Federation look.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps