Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » What if? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What if?
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:
United Nations Space Corps, you meant.

Well, the original question did ask what branch of the *US* military, regardless of your personal view on the subject.

B.J.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted this question in other places, and I figure an update of important points brought up there was a good idea. One person mentioned that it would be the group that developed the technology, they would be the parent of the Space Force. Obviously, the only group working on it is the Air Force--- or maybe even NASA [what is NASA's rank system?].

This reminded me of Babylon 5, they use some Army ranks too. Perhaps when it started out way back when, Earth's Air Forces parented the Space Forces and when the other branches caught up the Naval ranks and system became predominant aboard starships. But that's B5.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NASA doesn't have a rank system. It's a civilian agency. I mean, you have things like "pilots" and "mission commanders," but these are job descriptions.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NASA doesn't have a rank system as it's not a military organization. It uses those of the US military. This means that a Colonel can serve alongside a Commander and that the Colonel outranks the Commander.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the situation described, I imagine it would be a multi-service crew. Probably NASA astronauts would form the majority of the flight crew, with military in command to actully fight the thing.

I suppose Navy ranks do make most sense for a future Space Force/Fleet/Whatever. They do have ships, after all and the crew arrangement and organisation would seem to be derived from the Navy. Although, I don't see why they couldn't just make up their own ranks, like the air force did.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the Air Force derived their ranks from the Army from which it originally branched off.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant virtually all other air forces in the world, which have their own system, usually derived from ours (British). You know, Flight Leiutenant, Group Captain, Airman, Air Marshal, etc, etc.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

Are those actually ranks/rates or rather titles/job descriptions?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are the actual ranks that the RAF uses. You can check them out here.

--------------------
Bender: Well I don't have anything else planned for today, let's get drunk!

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figure that with a promising prospect of going to the stars, there would be an independent Space Corps after a short transition phase. But until then I would assume that rather the Air Force takes care of the ships because of their aerospace expertise (however underdeveloped), even though the command structure would be more like in the Navy on Trek ships.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps