Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A Good Old Fashioned Star Trek XI Starship discussion! ($$$SPOILERS$$$) (Page 8)

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: A Good Old Fashioned Star Trek XI Starship discussion! ($$$SPOILERS$$$)
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2,7, and 8 seem the most interesting to me. I assume that 3 is the same as 2, and shows that maybe the four-nacelled ship actually has both dual nacelles and dual secondary hulls, as 3 has a glowing blue light at the bottom like the deflectors on the Kelvin and Big E. Too me, 7 has all three of its nacelles underneath its saucer, with what I guess are impulse engines tucked between the saucer(more like half saucer?) and the third nacelle. 8 seems to have an oddly shaped saucer with two nacelles and 1 secondary hull and perhaps a rollbar between the nacelles. 1,4,6 are too obscure too make out anything, and 5 appears to be a nu-Connie like Beacon pointed out. Ah, its like Wolf 359 and Sector 001 all over again.

edit:Actually now that I think about it, 3 looks a lot more similar to 8.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pointed out the nuConnie first, actually. 2 and 8 are certainly distinct designs, whereas 3 could be a second example of either. In fact, the more I look at it I'm leaning towards 3 and 8 being the same - 3's visible lower nacelle is distinctly shorter than the upper two, like 8's. And something about the foreshortening visible on 2's nacelles makes me think that upper and lower sets are the same length, making it a Constellation/Cheyenne forebear.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm agree that 3 and 8 could be the same design. From the angle we see it at, 3 's lower structure, whether it be a hull, or another nacelle, looks to be centered underneath the ship like 8, whereas 2 certainly looks like it has more than one nacelle/hull hanging off the bottom.

And, I'm not quite sure, but 5 doesn't look like a nuConnie to me. It seems as though the distance between the pylons and the saucer are different. They're too close together. It could easily be the angle we're seeing it at though. It looks like the ship that was "discovered" earlier on by a member of the fandom in a different starbase shot. Perhaps it's the direct forerunner of the nuConnie? With the same arrangement of parts, but slightly different aesthetics and dimensions. Lessons learned from that ship could have lead to the nuConnie.

This is all quite intriguing. Maybe Abrams will be nice, and give us the specs/class info on these ships through the official website, like he has been doing with the crew, and Kelvin.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sean - from what I've seen, the nuConnie's nacelles are far closer together than they were in the originals.

As for 3 and 8 being the same, I can see that now it's been pointed out. 3 has red caps to the top bits, suggesting nacelles, while the bottom one is blue - a deflector? I think we've got those sussed.

As for 7, looking closer, the saucer is missing it's rear half (like the FASA Loknar), and the rollbar has the red glowy thing on it.

The roll bar seems to follow the curve of the (missing section of the) saucer. If that's the case, the 3 nacelles are fine below the saucer, with the center one longer and probably slightly lower down than the outriggers. Or in other words, Mars, you seem to be right.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well thanks Beacon,and sorry Lee.
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No worries.Yes, loking at 7 it almost looks like a Miranda with a third nacelle slung between the main two. The rear of the saucer seems to evoke memories of the added superstructure and/or rollbar present at the rear of the Miranda saucer.

My God, it's 1997 all over again! It's just like our discussions of the FC ships before the Encyclopaedia 2 came out.

I see what people are saying about the nuConnie perhaps NOT being a nuConnie, after all if Steamrunners can be mistaken for Connies (as they were in "A Call to Arms") then any ship with nacelles above and behind the saucer can be.

--------------------

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have the image of the Starbase from the trailer to hand, but didn't that have a ship with a saucer and nacelles attached straight onto it with small pylons?

The possible Connie in this new image probably is just the Enterprise or a sister ship, but I can't make out any secondary hull. Would we be able to see it from this angle, or would it be obscured anyway? Otherwise, those nacelles might be attached somehow to the saucer.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Numpties of the world Unite!
Could 7 have underslung nacelles and an even lower Kelvin style hull? Could the blue stripes be a reflection for the station's windows?

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Lee
Member # 393

Reflections? Interesting idea, but I can't see how it'd work based on the positioning of the candidate light sources. One thing I notice, all three pods on #7 have a bright spot at the rear as well as the glowing lines on the sides; on #8, only the top two pods have the bright spots on the rear (and glowy lines down the sides). Then again, the lower pod on #8 has the same glowing front as the upper pods - but that could more plausibly be reflected light from the station.

--------------------

Andru
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for Andru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to spoil anyone's fun, but it seems to me that #8 actually has two lower hulls. If you look at the aft part of the upper port nacelle, there's a bit of dark grey hull right behind the round blue glow patch, not present behind the starboard nacelle. That grey bit looks exactly like the aft part of the visible lower hull, and is positioned about right to be an equivalent starboard lower hull. #8 would be the same kind of half-saucer ship as #2 and possible #3.
Andru
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for Andru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops, I meant "possibly #3".
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ginger-I was referring to the distance between the saucer edge and the bussards. Probably could have been a bit clearer on that. [Smile]

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andru, I see what you describe. That would make 2,3 and 8 the same half-saucer/dual-nacelle/dual- deflector design.

5 is most likely the Enterprise.

That leaves 1, 4, 6 and 7. I am guessing that 1,4 and 7 are the same design as well, but it's too difficult to tell for sure.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed. IMO - 2, 3 and 8 are all the same design, as are 1, 4, 6 and 7. I'd lump 6 in with the latter design due to its coloration and saucer shape. 2, 3, and 8 probably have twin lower hulls a la Kelvin. I'm wondering if any of those models were detailed enough to be individually labelled...

And hey, let's not forget the starbase itself! Anyone noticed that the central core seems to be one big glass bubble?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Andru
Member # 2145

I'm wondering if any of those models were detailed enough to be individually labelled...

I'd say yes to that, earlier in this thread we saw those nice models will become individually labelled wreckage on the other side of the warp jump!

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  21  22  23   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps