Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Farragut-type: the TOS Miranda?

Author Topic: Farragut-type: the TOS Miranda?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It’s an obvious question, sure, but I was having one of those r/ShowerThoughts and a few things occurred to me. There’s still ages to go in Belgium v Romania, I’m not really watching it, so I thought I’d bore what few of us are left here with my thoughts!

Now, there are pros & cons…

PRO:
1. The registry. The USS Farragut is NCC-1647; while that could make it a Constitution, it’s not impossible it could make it a Reliant too (three have registries in the NCC-18xx range, and we’ve assumed ships are of the same class based on lesser proximity of registries before this!)
2. Sure the placing of the nacelles, and the pylon configuration, is very different: but so then is that on the Constitution-refit…

… BUT. #2 above leads me on to the cons:

CON:
1. The Constitution-refit, nacelles and pylons aside, didn’t really change all that much otherwise. Sure there were significant internal reconfigurations, but by and large externally the superstructure - primary hull/saucer, secondary hull/engineering section, and to a lesser extent the neck - didn’t really change all that much apart from in detailing.

But the Miranda-refit - if the Miranda IS a refit - has a significant superstructure aft of the bridge, containing shuttle bays, impulse engines, presumably the warp core. And this superstructure rarely appears on many fan-made TOS Miranda designs, and it’s not on the Farragut-type. And if you apply my logic about the Constitution-refit above, shouldn’t it be, if the F-type IS the TOS-M?
2. Memory Alpha suggests the F-type is the Bellerophon-class, - but is unable to provide a valid source for being so…

Thoughts? Does it matter? If they said it was, there’re plenty who’d choose to ignore it, and NOT just because they’re incel edgelords who hate nuTrek mainly because it’s got too many women and ethnics and gays in for their liking.

On the other hand, if we don’t get an answer to this perennial question now, would we ever? Probably not, and that definitely doesn’t really matter - there've been too many over-contrived attempts to answer such questions canonically recently, and not just in Trek (he said, cursing former Doctor Who showrunner Chris Chibnall and his Timeless Child bollocks…).

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Discoverse is an AU no matter what they try to claim, so they could say whatever they want.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always felt that the Miranda class Reliant as seen in TWOK always looked that way (i.e. it was not refit from a TOS-style look like the Enterprise was.) There is some evidence to support this hypothesis, but nothing ironclad. It's just how I feel, especially after seeing the abundance of them in DS9, but no TMP refit Connies to go with them.

As for the SNW Farragut being a TOS Miranda? See above. While I don't have a problem with them making the Farragut a non-Connie despite Greg Jein's T-Negative list which was used as gospel in the past, I think the lazy kitbash they did use doesn't really qualify as a TOS Miranda. I think if they were really trying to go that route, they would have made the design look more like the Reliant instead of just the SNW Enterprise saucer with some underslung nacelles and just a hint of secondary hull underneath.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps