Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Farragut-type: the TOS Miranda? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Farragut-type: the TOS Miranda?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I buy his arguments about the turbolift. For one thing, why does he keep calling the neck "the dorsal"? That's not what "dorsal" means. But, more to the point, his whole argument seems to be based on the idea that the warp core runs all the way straight down the neck, which... maybe it just doesn't?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah it seems an odd hill for him to die on. He often raises interesting points, but his starting assumptions are often questionable. Pretty sure there’s a whole video where he talks about the TOS-era fleet and just says that anything in DSC or SNW isn’t canon. Sorry chum, you don’t get to make that sort of decision… Ha. Just had a thought: we never did find out what happened to Identity Crisis, with his FASA obsession and dogmatic cherry-picking of what was relevant, did we..?

Regarding the turbolifts, looking at his various suggestions, I wondered: why do they have to stay “upright”? Why not go up the neck (in the diagonal shaft option) AT a diagonal? Relying on the inertial dampeners that MUST surely be in operation - given the delta-v the lifts must go through to get anywhere else in these huge ships so quickly - to keep people from falling over?

In fact if you really think about it, why have gravity in the shafts at all? We know they do, plenty of examples, but why generate artificial gravity (however they do it) just to create something to fall down? We know it can be varied by location, it’s not a whole ship solution (to paraphrase the Tech Manual, how does the artificial gravity work? It works just fine, thank you). Maybe even in later ships the overlapping of artigrav fields leads to inversions like on the NX-01…

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm certainly not going to begrudge him ignoring all the new Trek shows, since I do that myself. That being said, though, including them would make the answer simple, since they've established that the interior of the ship is 90% empty space, with turbolifts just zooming around inside it.
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
For one thing, why does he keep calling the neck "the dorsal"? That's not what "dorsal" means.

Actually, that's what it was traditionally called when I was getting into tech fandom. I didn't use the term to (a) avoid confusion and (b) play on "bottleneck", but the 'interconnecting dorsal' to refer to the neck is an old turn of phrase in fandom.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

StarCruiser
Member # 979

- posted      Profile for StarCruiser         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's called the "Dorsal Strut" on the classic Enterprise because - it's the upper strut attached to the engineering/secondary hull.

Hence "dorsal" - if it were attached (i.e. not detachable) to the primary hull, it would be a ventral strut.

I'm not sure where the argument about the mediocre SNW Farragut design came from but....

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps