Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Enterprise D's Runabout (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Enterprise D's Runabout
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the TNG episode where the Ent D and a Romulan Warbird get stuck in time and Picard, Troi, Data and LaForge have to unstick them (my sincerest apologies for not remembering the name of this ep and for the lame description), there is a Danube class runabout involved that is apparently attached to the Enterprise-D. Does anyone have any info on what this runabout's name and registry might be? Was it the Danube? I know there's nothing canon unless it's in the new encyclopedia, but maybe someone has some inside info.

This also brings up another question, is it standard practice to attch runabout to larger ships now. I think it's probably a good idea although with the advent of the new super shuttles from insurrection, they may not be needed all that much longer.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did it occur to you that the new "super shuttles" are runabouts?

--Baloo

------------------
"It is required of every man," the Ghost returned, "that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellowmen, and travel far and wide; and if that spirit goes not forth in life, it is condemned to do so after death. It is doomed to wander through the world -- oh, woe is me! -- and witness what it cannot share, but might have shared on earth, and turned to happiness!"
-- Jacob Marley's Ghost (A Christmas Carol -- Charles Dickens)
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to 'The Star Trek Archive' neither name nor number is known.

Somehow I question this, because even a glipse of a number would probably show the difference between either NCC-7xxxx or NCC-1701-D.

I think the new 'super shuttle' is most probably a Runabout equivalant for Starship use. Larger than the average shuttle, but smaller than a Runabout.

I'll also remind you there is still a debate going whether or not the Insurrection Scout (which is the same size as a Runabout) is a solo ship or Starship based.

------------------
Life on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free annual trip around the sun!

=\V/=

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was never under the impression that the runabout was attached to the E. I thought they were just using it to get someplace.

And I believe the ep was called "Timeless".

------------------
"Is he live or dead? Has he thoughts within his head?"
-Black Sabbath, "Iron Man"

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah, that was Voyager's 100th ep. "Timescape" it is.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Baloo it never occured to me. All the art material for the design calls it a shuttle. I don't think it's meant to be a new runabout.

I'm sure if we could see the number on Picard's runabout it would be an NCC number and not a NCC-1701-D/ something. All the DS9 runabouts have their own number not "DS9/2"

I hadn't heard the debate about the Scoutship having a mothership. It might explain the fact that it has no given name or class. The registry on ther hull may be the mothership's.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The encyclopedia mentions a USS Ticonderoga at the Briar Patch. When I first found that out I considered the scout belonging to it.

I still do.

------------------
Calvin: "I'm a man of few words."
Hobbes: "Maybe if you read more, you'd have a larger vocabulary."
Federation Starship Datalink - Starship site of the new millennium.

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I recall, the reg number of the runabout is visible but unreadable. I might be wrong, anyone have the episode on tape?

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll check it tomorrow.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know what it probably says? "USS RIO GRANDE NCC-72452". Or one of the other DS9 runabouts. You really think they bothered to relabel the model when it wasn't going to be readable? They don't bother relabelling models when they are readable!

And "Timscape", you say? Er... Uh... That's, ah... That's what I said. You must have misheard me...

*sees his own words printed there on the screen*

D'oh!

------------------
"Is he live or dead? Has he thoughts within his head?"
-Black Sabbath, "Iron Man"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the runabout in "Timescape" seemed to be a custom job: it did not *have* a name nor a registry! We see the part of the ship exterior that is supposed to have the name (between the red stripes at the bow flanks) as well as the parts that should feature the registry (the pylons if not the bow cutout), and those locations are empty.

I don't know why they bothered to eliminate the registries. But AFAIK all the shots of the runabout in "Timescape" were custom shots instead of DS9 footage, so perhaps the model people wanted to give the photographers greater freedom in setting up their shots. They didn't have to avoid embarrassing close-ups this way. And nobody in either team felt he had the authority to make up a number, and Okuda was out shopping or something.

Personally, I think that since Sisko gets to name his own runabouts, Picard also intended to name this one (recently aquired at the starbase) when he got back to his ship. The same logic would explain the missing name of Data's scout in "Insurrection" - the admiral was supposed to name it, but never had the time.

Timo Saloniemi

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hobbes: Where can I find the Ticonderoga in the Encyclopedia?

------------------
"Naomi Wildman, sub-unit of Ensign Samantha Wildman, state your intentions." (VOY: "Infinite Regress")
Ex Astris Scientia

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On page 672 Bernd.

------------------
Calvin: "I'm a man of few words."
Hobbes: "Maybe if you read more, you'd have a larger vocabulary."
Federation Starship Datalink - Starship site of the new millennium.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo: Is there any canon proof that Sisko names his own Runabouts? I just don't remember ever hearing it in a episode.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, there is. In an episode I saw the other day, "Family Business" (I think), Kira asks Sisko what he wants to call the new runabout. He says it should be the Orinoco. Kira replies that the way they go through runabouts, it's a good thing Earth has so many rivers. . .
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps