Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » USS Bellerophon model done

Author Topic: USS Bellerophon model done
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just posted pics of my recently completed Intrepid Class Bellerophon.

Comments welcome...enjoy!

(I even made a Photoshopped backdrop for one of the pics!)

USS Bellerophon

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great work Stephen (as always)!
I really dig the shuttle comparison....where did you get the shuttlepod?
You should scratcgbuild the Defiant's Chaffe. :wink:
That would rock.

The Bellerophon is nicely done (although I might have toned down the RCS colors -just me being picky) [Razz]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

aneurysm
Member # 906

- posted      Profile for aneurysm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow. that is yuor best model yet. i think that is easily studio model quality..... well done.
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys! [Embarrassed]

Jason, the Bellerophon has only temporary markings on it now. I'll have actual waterslide decals printed for it fairly soon but I was anxious to see how my Illustrator designed decals would turn out so I printed them on self-adhesive clear label paper. So what you see is actually a fairly glossy model. Once the decals are on it I'll flatcoat, but that's part of why the RCS thrusters are a little loud. Also, I like to use paints without mixing so I can recreate a color again if need be. After seeing many photos of the filming miniature in natural light, the Testors Orange was the closest color I could find among the paints I use.

The Trek V shuttle and the little Type 15 pod are from a Canadian company called Gryphon Miniatures. I don't know if they're still in business or not, but I got both of those in 1/72 along with the TOS Galileo 7. I have a Defiant, Grissom and Jem'Hadar Attack ship in 1/2500 from them as well. I bought all of these in about 1997 or so.

--------------------
Stephen L.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Gryphon Defiant is a re-cast of the SFSM model....but it still makes a nice afternoon project.
[Wink] I used Zinc Chromite mixed with a spot of black to get the "onscreen" color of my RCS thrusters on the Intrepids (and variants), though I know you prefer the "studio model" look.

If you dullcoat matte finish clear decal film you can skip the waterslide nightmare alltogether. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks great, but what missing windows were you referring to at Deck 11?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it looks fabulous - but why are the RCS 'areas' so ORANGE?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by SoundEffect:
Once the decals are on it I'll flatcoat, but that's part of why the RCS thrusters are a little loud. Also, I like to use paints without mixing so I can recreate a color again if need be. After seeing many photos of the filming miniature in natural light, the Testors Orange was the closest color I could find among the paints I use.

That's why! [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

SoundEffect
Member # 926

quote:
Originally posted by Fleet-Admiral Michael T. Colorge:
It looks great, but what missing windows were you referring to at Deck 11?

The missing windows on the kit are the six windows at the very aft of the fantail, directly below the shuttlebay platform. The ship name is on one side and the registry is on the other. On the Monogram kit, just the indented area is there, but no windows.

---

Here's one of the studio miniature pictures I used when determining colors for my model. To me anyway the RCS thrusters are very orange as is the deflector:

Deflector/RCS orange colors

--------------------
Stephen L.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps