Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » S.S. Aurora (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: S.S. Aurora
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a little something before I go to bed.

It's the S.S. Aurora from the hippy episode. It's a bit a strange ship, of course.

I suggest that it's a Tiburonian ship, probably built from surplus Tholians hulls bought via some unscrupulous merchant-race. Ferengi-ish. Perhaps somebody like the Nyberrite Alliance or the Mklexa.

I was rather suprised to learn that the *short* end is the front, which makes it look a bit less Tholian, but a whole lot more silly [Smile]

-

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's a great treatment of a silly use of the model, at least. [Wink]

But wasn't Tiburon a Federation member? That's been my understanding...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's nice, Harry. I would only suggest to darken the shading on the edge of the triangular plane coming towards us. It's facing downward at an angle so shouldn't be lit. I also think there's some sort of texture to the read parts.

Open Question: What do you think the size of this thing is? I suspect that each of those arms/planes is at least 2 decks tall. Are you gonna take a leap into the unknown and add any scale clues, such as portholes and airlocks?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The gradients indeed still need some work.

As for size... according to a size chart I made months ago, it's 15m. That's probably based on the Tholian ship being ~15m (according to EAS, anyway).

That's a rather pathetically small "space cruiser" though, so I might have to make it larger.

Tiburon was indeed a Federation member. But Federation members can still have their own ships, like the Vulcan SS T'Pau and the Hekaran science vessels.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Update:
 -

Going by the ~2 deck width of a wing, the length is around 65 meters. There doesn't seem to be consensus about what size the Aurora or the web spinner actually were supposed to be, so I guess this is a pretty good guess.

And it now has a docking port [Wink]

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there were what? -- ten hippies seen on the show, at most? That might give a hint about the size of the ship.

On the other hand, there's the apparent urgency that Starfleet Command gave in ordering the Enterprise to pursue the Aurora, I'd speculate that it was a somewhat larger ship. After all, didn't one of the Oreo-men from "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" steal a Starfleet shuttlecraft, six months before the episode? I figure that the Aurora would have to be a bigger and somewhat more important ship -- not to mention privately owned, to boot.

The 65-meter length sounds good to me.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
he Tholians are gonna sure for copyright infringment for sure, but it's a really nice rendreing of a ship best forgoten.

I think, designwie, it'd be cool to have adocking port on the ship's nose: there should be just enough room there nad it would allow this ship o dock at a connie's neck or saucer port without landing in the shuttlebay.... if that would even fit in the bay at that scale, that is. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Actually, Harry, why not make the docking port slightly larger, or with some more mechanical gizmos surrounding the circular hatchway itself? Jason's comment about docking to a Connie got me thinking. I'm seeing something similar to the docking ports on the NX-01, that have more complicated attachment mechanisms to create a safe connection. It looks like the single circular port is more appropriate for those dinky travel pods in TMP and TWOK, not for connecting with other starships or at a spacedock. (If that's what you want to have, at any rate.)

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe a schematic comparing Aurora with Enterprise would be helpful for gauging the size?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

-

To be honest, the docking port I have now was supposed to be just for pods and shuttles to connect to. I guess you could have a 'proper' docking system in the nose.

Does the Constitution itself have any docking ports, though? Probably behind some retractable hull-plating again, I'd guess [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're a braver man than I Harry.
If it were me I'd be alting the details of the design, trying to push it away from the Tholian look as muck as I could get away with.
 -

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woof!

I'd buy two.

As for why the Enterprise was ordered to hunt her down, this might have more to do with who the owner was than with what sort of a ship he or she owned... It's not implausible that private warp yachts would still be less than commonplace in the 2260s.

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's cool, Rev, but the red part makes it look like a giant cockpit.
Mabye you could ass some kind of texture or vent pattern there to break up the area...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Woo yay!

That's a very nice one. Perhaps you could turn it around and make it into some other TOS or Movie-era alien ship.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry, may I make a request?

As usual, I'd like very much to see also a "naked" version true to the original. Please?

(The one in your initial post is, as Masao said, missing the texture on the front panels and has a lighting error.)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps