Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Sahara-class destroyer tender (Page 5)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Sahara-class destroyer tender
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, screw the brass! I must admit, I do like the commercial schemes on your site; gives things a bit of life rather than just endless Starfleet grey.
I've done a marginally better version, with the end section from the Moskva class to make it look a little less truncated:

-

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Flash Gordon Sense is tingling.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a go at reconfiguring this one to try and make it look a little less...mole-like.
I think I may have gone a little too far with the alterations.
Here it is nonetheless.
 -

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wraith: I don't know about that one. The end cap was something I termed a "warp bustle" containing an easily separable warp reactor. If you put the reactor at the end, you lose the possibility of a stern shuttle bay.

Rev: Yikes! It's no longer my ship! What's that thing on the side?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Masao:
quote:
It's a turn signal.

I always liked the warp bustle idea. One of the cool things about your site is that technology evolves. Things are actually different, from one time to another, beyond just getting bigger and faster. It adds realism. (Insert criticism of "Enterprise" here.)

On the other hand, because of my background in historical costume, the term warp bustle always makes me picture the ship with a giant Farthingale hoop skirt wrapped around the secondary hull, streaming behind it.

I just had a thought... I recall reading somewhere that the CVN-65 Enteprise, America's first nuclear carrier, had two big fission reactors, but that the Nimitz class ships had several small ones. Wouldn't it be cool to extrapolate a similar evolution on Star Trek? Instead of one big warp core, eight little ones. It would provide some redundancy in combat, too. Something to think about, for you guys designing post-Dominion War starships.

Marian

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Marian

I also designed a warp corset, a warp chiton, and a warp codpiece, but in the interests of public sanity, those will remain under wraps for the time being.

"Bustle" is also used to refer to an extension or counterweight on the rear of a tank's turret, such as on the Sherman Firefly.

--------------------

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, IIRC CVN-65 had eight reactors which was reduced in number for the Nimitzs.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MarianLH:
I just had a thought... I recall reading somewhere that the CVN-65 Enteprise, America's first nuclear carrier...

Does that make the next nuclear carriers Enterprise Class ships?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it makes CVN-65, the first and only Enterprise class carrier. The next American carrier will belong to the CV(X) program and will not be named Enterprise and start a new Enterprise class of ships. And no, I'm not talking about USS Ronald Reagan or USS George H W Bush, both Nimitz class carriers, with the Bush being the last of them.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

StarCruiser
Member # 979

- posted      Profile for StarCruiser         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MarianLH:
quote:
It's a turn signal.

I always liked the warp bustle idea. One of the cool things about your site is that technology evolves. Things are actually different, from one time to another, beyond just getting bigger and faster. It adds realism. (Insert criticism of "Enterprise" here.)

On the other hand, because of my background in historical costume, the term warp bustle always makes me picture the ship with a giant Farthingale hoop skirt wrapped around the secondary hull, streaming behind it.

I just had a thought... I recall reading somewhere that the CVN-65 Enteprise, America's first nuclear carrier, had two big fission reactors, but that the Nimitz class ships had several small ones. Wouldn't it be cool to extrapolate a similar evolution on Star Trek? Instead of one big warp core, eight little ones. It would provide some redundancy in combat, too. Something to think about, for you guys designing post-Dominion War starships.

Marian

CVN-65, at least when she was completed, had 8 reactors of the same basic type used by early nuclear subs (Westinghouse). The Nimitz class carriers use 2 reactors that I believe were designed specifically for them.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wraith: I don't know about that one. The end cap was something I termed a "warp bustle" containing an easily separable warp reactor. If you put the reactor at the end, you lose the possibility of a stern shuttle bay.

Yeah, sorry should've explained better. The end cap section was just supposed to be representative of an aft assembly of some sort (basically a large aft shuttlebay). I have no artistic capabilities whatsoever so just grabbed a piece that looked vaguely like what I wanted [Razz]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"Bustle" is also used to refer to an extension or counterweight on the rear of a tank's turret, such as on the Sherman Firefly.
Yes, well, tanks for pointing that out. [Smile]

I sit corrected on the number of nuclear reactors on various carriers. My bad. I still think multiple small warp cores on a starship is a neat idea, though. Say, starship X has eight reactors. It can function normally on as few as six, and still limp home at warp 5 on as few as two or three....just thinking out loud...

Marian

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed an interesting idea. A ship desidned for this system would likely benifit greatly from it. The reactors could also be placed so that other key systems could be given sole access to certan reactors at certan times (For example, one reactor that can be switched to the phasers and/or shields in a combat situation)
Paladin181
Member # 833

- posted      Profile for Paladin181     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend and I had an idea like this, only we invisioned four fullsized warp cores, each powering their own system, i.e. Core 1= Warp Engines, Core 2= Main Power, Core 3= Weapons, Core 4= Auxilary/Redundant Power. I've just been under the impression that they have to be quite large just to power the ship and use for warp, maybe if you used several Defiant sized warp cores it might work, but not for anything large comparable to a Nebula, Galaxy, or Soveriegn.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
Yeah, sorry should've explained better. The end cap section was just supposed to be representative of an aft assembly of some sort (basically a large aft shuttlebay). I have no artistic capabilities whatsoever so just grabbed a piece that looked vaguely like what I wanted [Razz]

Yeah, I figured that. The type of fan-shaped shuttle bay (as on Constitution) is a fairly advanced feature in my design lineage, so I might just put a blunt end on the ship with a Reliant-style shuttle bay with curtain doors.

--------------------

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps