Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Sahara-class destroyer tender (Page 7)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Sahara-class destroyer tender
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is that darn SpaceLiberal Party!

(Note: I would support the SpaceLiberal Party.)

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, I like "Star Canada."
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as they arn't BC SpaceLiberals, I'm all good [Big Grin]

Perhaps a 23rd Century incarnation of Air Canada is a good omen for the future of Canada having airlines [Big Grin]

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about British Interplanetary and Colonial Star Lines? By colonial of course, I mean Earth's colonies; it has a sort of 1930s sound to it.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Makotokat
Member # 1041

- posted      Profile for Makotokat         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right, it does look "Liberal". And considering what that B@#tard McGuinty (Our beloved premier) just did maybe a WestJet logo would work better.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A slight revision of the Canada livery using the goose from the real Canadia/en Airlines. Still no windows. Also, a British design using the traditional Speedbird emblem and the Union Flag tail flash.
 -
 -

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the Space Canada say Vancouver on it? Cool [Big Grin]

I kinda like Air Canada's 80's livery though, but I guess the 23rd centrury is retro enough already [Wink]

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Boh:
Does the Space Canada say Vancouver on it? Cool [Big Grin]

I figure that ships still have home ports, even if they are launched from orbit. I suppose I could have chosen a landlocked city, like Calgary, but that sounded a bit funny to me.

Question: What's the name prefix for modern Canadian and UK civilian ships? I remember that Titanic used RMS, but do Canadian ships use some variation of it, such as RCMS? (RMS evidently means "royal mail steamer"?)

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had a look around and I'm fairly sure it's just SS (Steam Ship, originally) for Merchant navy ships. Unfortunately, most sites about civilian ships are a little erratic about prefixes. There also seem to be some with the prefix MV, I guess for Merchant Vessel.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

The newest Cunard liner, Queen Mary 2, still carries the RMS prefix, although it now stands for "royal mail ship" rather than "royal mail steamer."

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I recall around here (Atlantic Canada) any passenger vessels and non-cable ferries are MV.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Royal Mail Ship Queen Mary 6, out of Southampton  -

--------------------

japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao...

This looks so great. Quick question (and it is a bit embarrassing):

What exactly does a Destroyer Tender do? Does it carry extra ammo and fuel so the destroyers don't have to be bigger and less maneuverable as a consequence of carrying their own? I'd heard the term several times in the past and was always a bit foggy on what it meant.

--------------------
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Yeah, something like that. They repair battle damage, and provide logistic and maintenance support for destroyers and other types of ship. Their crews are mostly technicians and repair crews. So, I suspect they'll carry torpedoes, spare parts, food, fluids, etc. and do repair and maintenance on anything that needs fixing. They might also carry spare antimatter bottles and deuterium, or perhaps other specialized ships carry those fuels.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I understand it, the idea of a tender is that it helps bring the repair facilities out to the combat ships, so the repairs can be done in the field rather than forcing the combat ships to travel all the way back to base every time they need to get something fixed.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps