Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Cardassian Dreadnaught - Sternbach concept art (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Cardassian Dreadnaught - Sternbach concept art
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Has anyone yet pointed out that the starter of this thread misspelled "Dreadnought" in the title?

Crap. Okay, so I misspelled something for once. It's not like I'm Jason Abbadon or something.
[Razz]
TSN: "Dreadnaught" is not in the Merriam-Webster online dictionary.

B.J.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here she is, from 1905.
I compiled this picture as an overhead for my history paper on battleships last semester. Scanned this in from a gigantic book, the original is like 2400*1600 pixels or something.

-

Kind of built like the cardassi�no counterpart, non?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"'Dreadnaught' is not in the Merriam-Webster online dictionary."

No, it's not. But it is mentioned as an alternative spelling in both the Random House dictionary sitting next to me, and in the online Oxford English Dictionary.

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is one butt fugly ship, I have to admit.

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would you expect from an early 20th century battleship? I think it looks fine.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh, problem is, aside from subs, I hate the looks of any ship built post-Monitor/Virginia. But that one's really bad, IMO.

--------------------
-Theoden, TTT

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, in other words, you hate the looks of all modern ships, not including subs. And you only like wooden ships?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remind me, exactly what has asthetics got to do with battle ships? These things are built for war, not beauty pageants.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find that most ships look pretty ugly if you include the underwater stuff in the side view; just look at the stuff above the water line and it looks much better.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

StarCruiser
Member # 979

- posted      Profile for StarCruiser         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously, not a ship afficianado...
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
I find that most ships look pretty ugly if you include the underwater stuff in the side view; just look at the stuff above the water line and it looks much better.

That's because you are used to only seeing a ship above the waterline.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing boats from underneath disturbs me. Bit of a ptoblem when you scuba dive. And wrecks totally freak me out. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Manticore
Member # 1227

quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
So, in other words, you hate the looks of all modern ships, not including subs. And you only like wooden ships?

Yeah, I only like subs and "tall ships." And sailboats.

And I know that aesthetics have nothing to do with the design of a battleship, just saying that it's an ugly ship, even ignoring the stuff below the waterline.

--------------------
-Theoden, TTT

Makotokat
Member # 1041

- posted      Profile for Makotokat         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you seen some of the French Pre-Dreadnoughts? Quite interesting designs...
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nim the fanciful: greetings from a fellow Swede!

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps