Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Alternate Starfleet Communicator (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Alternate Starfleet Communicator
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Graphic Designer + Recession = Bored in Illustrator

Thinking about hammering out the Tricorder and Phaser too. I have no idea what font they are using for the displays in the new movie. I think it's somewhere between Microgramma Bold Ext and the Terminator font. But I cant hammer it down.

-

Wes
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw crap wrong forum. My bad!!
Wes
Member # 212

-

Tweaked a bit

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moved.

Good work. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me likey aloty. Is this based on the new movie prop?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Wes
Member # 212

Yes, my reference was the toy communicator they recently released. I'm really interested to see how it looks on-screen. I'm really digging the White/Black/Blue/Cyan theme the new movie has going for the ships and tech. I mostly did this because I haven't done anything trek-related in ages, and I wanted to see how I could get lighting effects to work well using only vectors (the glow around the blue orb was created using multiple gradient fills on one object).

Midway through doing this I realize how much I loved doing trek themed art!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The blue glowy part is the deflector- now annoying people will be deflected from your immediate path as you walk down the street.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The glowy bit has turned out really well. I wondered how you did it and thought you must've used photoshop for that bit till I read your comment.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Wes
Member # 212

The glowy bit has a bit of 'clouds' applied which is unfortunately actually a raster image from Photoshop. The glow its 'reflecting' off the bezel around it is what I was referring to as multiple gradient fills.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ack! CLOUDS?! I occasionally use a tasteful bit of lens flare... but never clouds.

I'll let you slide on it though since it came out so well... [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no tasteful use of Lens Flare....
Unless it's an intentional cheesy gag- like putting a sparkle on someone's teeth or a twinkle in their eye.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Ack! CLOUDS?! I occasionally use a tasteful bit of lens flare... but never clouds.

I'll let you slide on it though since it came out so well... [Smile]

Oh dude, I use clouds quite a bit. Not always as the final result mind you. Sometimes though.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I can recall at least two occasions where I used lens flare with a good result.

I also like it for generating reference for a similar effect on traditional illustrations.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Wes
Member # 212

Use Clouds with Black and White, then difference clouds, then tweak with the curves and add noise and dodge the center of the image, and you get what I got up there. Clouds are okay for some things!

Lens flares can be too, as long as you don't just place one on a pic and do nothing to it. Then everyone knows its a photoshop flare.

I cringe every time I see that default 105mm flare when Amargosa implodes in Generations.

Wes
Member # 212

I was sad to not spot these at all in my 3 viewings of the movie.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps