Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ BSG 4x14 "A Disquiet Follows My Soul" $$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ BSG 4x14 "A Disquiet Follows My Soul" $$
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:

Adama's taking a lot of pills. A second "dying leader" candidate?

Could be. The whole episode I kept thinking "maybe the prophecies didn't fail you. Maybe you just interpreted them wrong.

Same with Baltar's turning against the Cylon God. 1. They ASSUME God was leading them and that he lead them down the wrong path and needs to apologize. 2. They ASSUME they haven't committed any sins and aren't being punished. That was the whole premise in the Mini, wasn't it? Cylons were punishing humanity for their sins. 3. They ASSUME God was leading them directly to paradise and that their journey was over. Obviously the journey hasn't finished yet. Instead of being humble and patient, they've grown tired and irritated that the humans in charge must have mislead them intentionally.

quote:
Did we have any evidence of him tampering with the votes to 'buy' the Vice Presidency? I'm not sure I like the idea, as it clearly puts Adama on the moral high ground, whereas I liked it if they had equal rights to 'existence'. Zarek seemed to work fine as just a populist leader with typical anti-government ideas.

I don't remember. Wasn't Gaeta involved with the tampering plot when Baltar was elected President?

quote:
Did anyone else find it quite shocking that Adama gave the order to arrest (with deadly force!) the Vice President? Adama having that classified file on him made it more reasonable, but he must've lost a lot of credit with the Quorum by arresting the VP.
YES! Completely the wrong decisions being made. Adama was proving Zarek correct. An oppressive government using force to coerce the civilian population. Adama was crossing the line between head of the military and a dictator.

Since it turned out the file was a ruse, then it definitely wasn't a reasonable act.

quote:
Did I understand correctly that Tyrol is acting, or wants to act, as something of a leader of the fleet Cylons? It would fit his previous stint as union leader or resistance leader.

Not completely out of character. Wasn't Tyrol the leader or liaison of the striking Tylium workers way back when? His actions this episode could likewise be viewed as liaison between the basestar and the fleet.

quote:
All in all, a lot of realigning happens in this episode. Adama and Roslin appear to be losing interest in leading the fleet, Zarek and Gaeta are forming an anti-Cylon faction, Baltar's cult has apparently denounced the Cylon religion, and Tyrol is attempting to forge a Cylon-Colonial union. Once more, any attempts to speculate on the future of the series seems impossible...

A lot of wrong decisions in this episode and perhaps the whole series. I've always thought keeping the Colonial government structure was wrong. Instead of 12 Colonies the fleet has hundreds of ships each with different needs and priorities. The population ratio of survivors may not be the same as the population ratio of the original 12 colonies.

Lee is a poor politician. He can't play the game. He could have met Zarek head on or gone around him or made any other type of decision. Instead he was never depicted as doing anything to try to win the confidence of the Quorum or the citizens and sway them to his point of view.

Sending Athena in the Raptor was a bad decision. The ship is already mutinying because of Cylons on board, why send ANOTHER Cylon to help take it back?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kinda agree about keeping the government structure being a bad idea, but what's the alternative? Negotiating an entirely new government structure? The fleet has never been in a position to do that.

The whole point of Galactica's story (the show, that is) has been how people react when the old ways no longer work. Sometimes people pull together pretty well. Sometimes they make asinine decisions.

For Adama, his justification to the fleet is simply this: what else are you suckers going to do? Personally, I thought that the idea of the tylium ship leaving the fleet was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen people do in this show. Where were they going to go? How were they going to survive on their own? It's obvious that the fact that it was the tylium ship and not, say, the Zephyr, was deliberately chosen to exacerbate the situation. Chosen by... Zarek, most likely!

As far as Baltar and the rest of the people go, Yeah, I agree. But then think about how many times the Hebrews complained during their Exodus. I think the difference is that in the fleet, Earth was unequivocally promised by both the prophecies and by Adama/Roslin as the be-all, end-all promised land. Once they get there, there's absolutely nothing left to support faith. There's no clues as to any misinterpretation, and sufficient evidence that the prophecies were still correct. (Until a future episode when we get another piece of the puzzle, of course.)

Also, re: Gaeta in the election fixing, he was the one who discovered and reported it; he wasn't involved in perpetrating it.

On a completely unrelated note, I've got a couple of questions concerning Caprica Six. First, do any of the Humans know exactly who she is? I don't recall if it was ever explicitly mentioned. Second, if Six is carrying Tigh's child, what the frak happened to her pining for Baltar?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's just meant to be assumed they've grown apart - it's been, what, three or four years since they had a brief but torrid affair culminating with her getting hit in the face with a nuclear explosion. The fact they both appear to have hallucinatory versions of each other talking to them in their heads probably didn't help; both Head-characters displayed significant deviations in character and attitude to the real person(s) which, coming over time and by familiarity to be seen as the norm, would probably leave them both feeling like they don't really connect with each other (not that they've really had an opportunity to connect with each other since New Caprica, what with her in the SuperMax Brig and him either in the Brig or with his harem).

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps