Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ BSG 1x19 Someone to Watch Over Me $$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ BSG 1x19 Someone to Watch Over Me $$
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee: the finale is a two-part episode, so it's one ep this Friday, one ep next Friday, then two eps together the following Friday. (I think).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BattlestarWiki has the remaining eps as "Islanded in a Stream of Stars" or something like that, and "Daybreak" parts 1 and 2. Unless I've read it wrong. *checks* Nope. But the finale is definitely three hours, so you could consider that three eps for production purposes. But all the indications are the finale is split in two, so whether that's one hours then two, or two ninety-minuters, I don't know. Maybe they'll show it in three parts. Ask me next month!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part 1 is one hour, and part two is two hours. I looked up the SciFi schedule. It's not really a three-hour finale; they're airing "Daybreak, Part I" on March 13, and Part II on the 20th. But they're re-airing Part I just before Part II on the 20th, so you could watch all three hours back-to-back.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay. Pa Thrace taught Starbuck to play All Along the Watchtower some twenty years ago. At least, Starbuck thinks he did, but either way she learned it somewhere. So where? There are two main possibilities. One: our probably virtual third parties. Two: someone, say Daniel, learned the song from Anders before Cavil made his play to wipe their memories. Daniel as Starbuck's father doesn't need supernatural connections to know the song, which makes the possibility even more appealing than it already was.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course Kara knowing the song sheds new significance on the activation of the final five. It can't be a coincidence that they start hearing the music right when she comes back from the dead.

Still, it's not clear if the image of her father was just in her head (in the regular old Lamkin's cat/Adama's wife way) or if it was a messenger, like Harvey Six/Baltar/Leoban. Which is probably a good thing, we can't expect all the answers before the end.
Personally I think it might be the same entity that previously appeared to her as Leoban. Both seam to have a more benign purpose than Six & Baltar's messengers. Unless of course it's all the same entity and the image an personality are a reflection of the person they're appearing to.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possible Biblical connection? Her father appears to her but initially she doesn't recognise him, just like Christ after the Resurrection. And he's the thirteenth Cylon, much like the twelve Apostles and Jesus make 13. That is, the twelve if you count Judas. Could Cavil have been said to have betrayed Daniel? It's all probably nothing, just thinking out loud, you can find all sorts of mystical occurrences of the number 12, and thirteen is considered an unlucky number, etc.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But there was a Last Supper image... [Razz]
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think we can draw many allusions to the Bible. After all, that Last Supper image would make (Caprica?) Six a Christ figure. That doesn't make sense at all.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen that image. It's very cool. I got a nice big version of it from the scifi channel website.

Lee - you are either a hybrid or a walking spoiler. [Smile]

Another great episode.

The scene where All Along The Watchtower comes in with Starbuck playing the piano - was awesome. I had to just watch that little bit again.

One more episode and I've caught up!

Theory: Guessing Starbuck is half-cylon. And Hera being the future... maybe it's a new way of regenerating without a hub?

Johnny - what original series music are you talking about?

Anyone spot Bear McCreary in the backgound of the bar in the episode before this?

I also had another theory... there are 'first' versions of the 8 Centurion Cylons.

John/Cavil being the original personality of the 'ones'. D'Anna the original 'personality' of the 3's. Perhaps Caprica Six the original of the Sixes and Possibly Athena being the original of the 'eights'? Maybe Kara's father was the original 'Seven'.

Just with the comments about how all the other eights have 'flakey' personalities and Athena is the strongest personality... makes you wonder.

Interesting how we don't see many dupicate Leobens. Only the one that hangs around Kara.

Oh and the other day I was down the road at the shops and out of the corner of my eye I saw this woman with platinum blonde hair and she was wearing a bright red dress. I shat myself for a split second until I focussed properly on her. She was NOT hot - not even an Ellen Tigh. But that's not the point - it was funny that initial shock of 'seeing' out of the corner of my eye a rather tall woman with bright blonde hair wearing a red dress just walking through the car park. You have to admit you don't see that everyday and after watching so many BSG's all together lately... heh. [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The music was part of the intro in the original series. I found out later it's called "Explorers" or something similar and the Cylon intro music is derived from it.

Daniel played the first few notes a couple of times and I nearly jumped out of my chair. [Smile]

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
The music was part of the intro in the original series. I found out later it's called "Explorers" or something similar and the Cylon intro music is derived from it.

Daniel played the first few notes a couple of times and I nearly jumped out of my chair. [Smile]

Cylon intro music? The bit with the 'they have evolved' later to be 'there are 12 models' etc? That's from the miniseries... composed by Richard Gibbs - I never knew it was derived from the original series... really??

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I mean in the original series, when there's an establishing shot of the Cylons (usually their basestar with some raiders flying toward it) there's a little musical cue. That was derived from part of the original series intro, a piece of music that played after the theme tune. I think it was the bit when Adama would talk about the "rag-tag fugitive fleet".

Ooh, found it on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxzKxw9dntw

The music between 0:00 and 0:10 is what Daniel played.

--------------------

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That clip led me to this one:

Link.

And for that, I thank you.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
No, I mean in the original series, when there's an establishing shot of the Cylons (usually their basestar with some raiders flying toward it) there's a little musical cue. That was derived from part of the original series intro, a piece of music that played after the theme tune. I think it was the bit when Adama would talk about the "rag-tag fugitive fleet".

Ooh, found it on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxzKxw9dntw

The music between 0:00 and 0:10 is what Daniel played.

So you're saying that cue was derived from the "life here began out there" prelude? I don't hear it myself.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Johnny
Member # 878

No, the "life began out there" bit is played before the main theme. I thought this piece "Exploration" was played after the main theme from time to time. Either way, looks like I misinterpreted what Bear wrote. This is from his blog.

quote:
Reading that early draft of the script was the last time I’d really thought about Nomion. It dawned on me that the filming of the “Nomion’s Third” scene was coming up very early in production and I had no idea what it would sound like. After all, it should sound like a different composer wrote it than the composer who wrote Slick’s pieces.

What better way to accomplish this then to actually have it be written by a different composer? In an instant, I knew exactly what I wanted “Nomion’s Third” to be. Stu Phillips, the composer for the classic Battlestar Galactica, composed a piece for that series called “Exploration” that I’ve always loved. Set apart from the bombastic march of the “Main Title,” “Exploration” is much more mysterious, ambiguous and harmonically rich. Listen carefully to the closing seconds of “Colonial Anthem” on my Season Two Soundtrack CD and you’ll hear a duduk and bansuri state a fragment of this theme. Even then, I couldn’t resist incorporating the theme into our new Galactica.

This is the powerful orchestral fanfare that opened the original movie. When Slick plays it a couple times, the tune catches Kara’s ear as a familiar melody. Stu and I hope that fans of the classic Battlestar Galactica had the same reaction.

I went there just to check if I'd heard what I thought I had, and didn't read the blog too thoroughly once I'd confirmed it really was the original series music.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps