Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$$$BSG Daybreak Part Two$$$$ (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: $$$$BSG Daybreak Part Two$$$$
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
Jason,

If you're using my quote to imply that I didn't like the series or the finale, then you've taken what I said out of context. And if you want to skip the series, fine. But it's really your loss.

I'm not basing the decision on your post solely by any respect, I'm just pointing out that while I like a big dollop of sci-fi in my religon, the opposite is not true. [Wink]

Really, I tried. I tried at least three times to watch this as everyone raved about it as somehow above adverage but each time I watched I found I despised all the humans and the cylons had no motivation- intentionally becoming the enemy you hate hardly seems "advanced".

The last episode I saw featued a metal refinery ship with conditions that would have made Dickens blush and when a character (forget his name) stand up for the people stuck on the ship, Adama threatens to flush the guy's wife out an airlock.
If I want to see assholes, I have the real world.

Somehow, even with all the superior acting, a producer I really admire and amazing effects they lost the integrity and heart that made the survivors from the original series into more than just desperate refugees, and endeared them to me, even decades later.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Adama threatened to have her shot. [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And he'd put ten Callys against the wall if it made you watch BSG.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
And he'd put ten Callys against the wall if it made you watch BSG.

LOL I just thought of something like this (when I read you post):

"Everytime you masturbate, Admiral Adama will put Cally again sthe wall".

Actually now that I re-read it - sounds a little dirty. [Wink]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Somehow, even with all the superior acting, a producer I really admire and amazing effects they lost the integrity and heart that made the survivors from the original series into more than just desperate refugees, and endeared them to me, even decades later.

You mean the guys who went and had a party after their entire civilization was destroyed? The ones with the whiny kid and the chimp wrapped in aluminum foil? The ones whose ship caught fire and it took them hours to think of venting the air? Sorry; the original show had its charm, but it never took its own premise seriously. The show was about the end of the frakking world.

I enjoyed Galactica because it seemed more realistic; even when people did stupid things, I could relate to them in some way. Even if they didn't make sense. Because in real life, when does everything make logical sense anyway?

If that's not to your taste, well, I think that's a shame. But there are other shows I despise that people love -- I have no appreciation for "Doctor Who," for example. So I'm not ridiculing your opinion. Just offering my opinion of your opinion. [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason: I have to agree with Dan. The original series, while certainly of it's time and as such has it's charm never really tried to be anything more than a Saturday morning cartoon with actors and "Star Wars" style model shots.
As for the religious content of the RDM series, it's non-specific enough that it manages to talk about religion and faith with out addressing the cultural baggage of a specific, living religion.
As for it's place in sci-fi, speaking as a devout agnostic I can't imagine any half way identifiable human civilisation without some kind of religious belief. Actually, the mythology of the original show is up to it's neck in Mormon religious overtones.

Dan: I'm not much of a DW fan either but watch "Blink". Seriously.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yeah, "Blink" is something else. Not much Doctor, some serious timeline-juggling (both narratively and causatively), guest star Carey Mulligan is, well, HAWT - and, more to the point, it's damn scary.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard a fun take on Kara 2. That they are on this world of untamed wilderness, perhaps even the plains of Africa. She and Lee are having their conversation and sure enough at this poignant and spiritual moment--Lioned! Or, you know some other predator snatches her away without a sound. Liked that.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know much about the upcoming Caprica, but someone told me there is a character in there called 'Daniel'. Not saying that he will be Kara's father... but could be the 7th Cylon!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since #7 aka Daniel wasn't created until after the Cylon War, and the events of Caprica pre-date both the war and the creation of Cylons, it's highly unlikely.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I think RDM has essentially said that the whole "Daniel" thing is not a lot more than making the Cylon numbers work.

It seems the best bet is that Daniel really was destroyed, and is of no apparent significance.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I realize what my subconsious bias against this show is-
No Lucifer Cylon. He/it was the coolest thing visually back then

Snay could be the "skinjob" version. [Wink]

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The old Lucifer had a glittering pointy head and mad eyes. He looked horrible.
Besides, you're wrong, RDM has said there is a Lucifer analogue and it's Cavil.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now if only they had an Arcturian Three-Mind.....

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
The old Lucifer had a glittering pointy head and mad eyes. He looked horrible.

Have you seen that pic of Snay wiith the beard?
Flare's own Lucifer....who would've thought it would be him.

sorry Snay, it was too easy.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps